Westco battery for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the OE GS battery actually have 210 CCA printed on the case? (Cold Cranking Amps, the peak current a battery can supply in a short pulse when you push the starter button. This is different from the Amp Hour [AH] rating which shows sustained power delivery into a load.)

GS and Yuasa merged several years ago. There were two data sheets floating about, one showing 210 CCA and the other 135 CCA. Yuasa-GS was adamant that both the GS and Yuasa battery were exactly the same but couldn't explain why the CCA was different. They kind of blew it off saying it wasn't important :blink:

There is another battery that is exactly like the GT14B-4 except for size, that battery is a GT14-B which is fractionally thicker (can't be easily made to fit the FJR) that IS a 200 CCA battery. Size matters, that little extra size could enable the extra CCAs.

If I was to guess, I would guess that the data sheet that says the -4 is a 210 CCA battery is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the CCA wasn't printed on the side of the old battery. I got it from the GS USA website.

https://www.gsbattery.com/MB/mcbcatalog2007-08.html

Download the Battery Specifications pdf.

The GT14-B4 looks to be the FJR's OE battery. Same AH, same dimensions, 11 lbs. versus 10.1 for the Westco, same recommended charge current 1.2 amps (0.1 x 12), 210 CCA versus 135 CCA for the Westco.

Maybe the GT14-B4 is different from the GT14B-4. But the dimensions are essentially identical. Don't know if the weight is correct. I didn't weigh my old GT14B-4 after removing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weight has, traditionally, been a solid determiner of (lead-acid type) battery quality. Heavier = better = more costly (all other things being equal). :unsure: