What Camera Do You Take on a Ride?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackarrow

Reaction score
I've seen any number of beautiful pictures taken by forum members on their rides. I have missed too many opportunities for great pictures on rides because I didn't have a quick access camera. The cameras I have are too large for my pocket or fairing pocket. By the time I stop, dismount, and dig it out of the saddle bag the moment has already passed.

I was thinking along the lines of a Canon SD1000. It should take pretty good pictures but is small enough to be readily available at a moment's notice. A full manual over ride control would be preferable but not required.

So let's hear it. What works well for you?

I have a Canon SD600. It take beautiful pictures and it easily fits in t-shirt pocket with room left over.

I will be posting pictures from that camera of my Michigan trip when I get home.

I have a Canon SD600. It take beautiful pictures and it easily fits in t-shirt pocket with room left over.I will be posting pictures from that camera of my Michigan trip when I get home.
I also have a Canon SD600, very small, good quality pictures, ok optical zoom.

Review by CNET

Really any of the little point and shoots from Canon, Nikon, Olympus will give acceptable photos. My wife uses a Canon A75, 2 yrs old 3.2 megapixels and it prints great 4x6's. I just got rid of my Canon Digital Rebel and got the Nikon D80, a much better quality camera than the Canon and I love it. It won't fit in the fairing pocket being a Digital SLR but I can't give up the control and higher quality for the point and shoots, never could. I wish I was not so picky but I guess being an ex-custom printer and commercial printing production manager makes it so.

If you really want to know try this: Clicky

You may just want to scroll to the last page of each review and read the conclusion and maybe the features but the rest is pretty technical stuff for taking happy snaps.

Steve

I've used a Cannon Power Shot S300 for several years. Yes, the camera has been updated, but what I like about it is it's size, durability, good zoom and 2.1 mg/pix.

There are newer cameras on the market, but I like this one. I also have other newer cameras, but I always toss this one in my bag when I leave.

Canon SD800IS. Has image stabilization which does come in handy. Also, a cool thing about this camera is it has a 28mm lens which gives a more wide angle shot.

Cannon Power shot sd700is

you can adjust the pixels, small, does video if you are techy, the battery lasts a long time.

What does everyone use as a video camera? I have tried a small one with a tape and it was ok, not great but ok.

I keep a Lumix DMC-FX-01 in my glovebox on the FJR and if I know that I will definitely be taking lots of pics, I chuck my Samsung Pro-815 in the pannier.

The beauty of the little Lumix is that it has a brilliant Leica lens and a true 28mm wide-angle setting. Its a 6MP camera and needless to say it records videos too.

dmc-fx01_small.jpg

Pro815_01_small.jpg

If I'm being REALLY serious about taking piccies, I take out the King with me......

F4s_03_small.jpg

:rolleyes:

I travel a lot and love my little Canon - it's been around the world several times now, taking a hell of a beating. We bought about a dozen Sony's for work and have killed every one, so I think it's a testimonial for the Canon.

However, we recently got my daughter an Olympus 700-something (750?) and it's just as small or smaller, takes the same great photos, and is rain-proof. They make another (720?) that can be used for shallow snorkeling or can be used in a plastic housing for scuba. Hers lives in the bottom of her purse so takes a pounding as the purse lands on it. Best part is that the Olympus factory sells on EBay, complete with warranty, so we got it for something like $100 less than at BestBuys. I'll probably see how hers holds uip but would buy one today if I needed to.

Bob

I bring my Maxxum 7d DSLR everywhere, it's really big though so no riding while shooting w/ it. Plus, if it's that good of a view, why not pull over and enjoy it for a minute? I used to take pics on the fly in my cars and found my favorites were when I just pulled over and composed it to my liking. Not to mention, my lucks been really shitty this year, so no chance taking out of the ordinary for me. No matter how nice a pic it may be, it's not worth any pain.

For cycling, and other uses where a smaller camera is desired, I use my wife's Cannon G7. 10 pixels. image stabilization, and many other neat features. Not cheap at around $700.00, but a terrific camera. For my more serious work, i.e. where an SLR type camera is indicated, I'm into the real high-end Nikon stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen any number of beautiful pictures taken by forum members on their rides. I have missed too many opportunities for great pictures on rides because I didn't have a quick access camera. The cameras I have are too large for my pocket or fairing pocket. By the time I stop, dismount, and dig it out of the saddle bag the moment has already passed.
I was thinking along the lines of a Canon SD1000. It should take pretty good pictures but is small enough to be readily available at a moment's notice. A full manual over ride control would be preferable but not required.

So let's hear it. What works well for you?
These small enough for you???? :good:

LOL i use the Fuji 602Z for stills

Jdog

I use a Pentax Optio W10 I got it because it is waterproof and dustproof. Yes it will take pics under water. I liked this because on a long motorcycle trip with bad weather I dont have worry about it. This camera was about the same price as others that were not waterproof.

I've used a Nikon Coolpix 5000 for several years. I recently sold it and picked up a used Pentax *st DL, digital SLR. It's what I used to take the pictures here

I've used a Nikon Coolpix 5000 for several years. I recently sold it and picked up a used Pentax *st DL, digital SLR.
https://www.steves-digicams.com/

A great link for digital camera reviews, small, medium, high end...etc etc.

He does a great job of going through the +/- on the camera's. Me Fuji S9000 series, SLR type features and then some for a great price! :clapping:

Nikon D50 Digital SLR, since discontinued, but the D40 is smaller and a little lighter.

It'd be nice to have a mount with remote control shutter...

Olympus 710. 7.1 megapixel. Small pocket size. Does video too. Bought mine thru Sam's Club.
Just picked on of those up recently and your dead on. Great little camera. we also have a Olympus DSLR that we take on long trips for extra crispy pics when we see something worth stopping for.

I'm currently working on a way to attache my sony handycam for some nice vids.