What color are your sunglasses?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaTom

Reaction score
I've got some prescription sunglasses. They're polarized, with a dark grey tint, and I'm not happy with them for riding. In deciding on what color tint to get for my new glasses my optometrist wife offered me a set of over glasses with amber lenses. They are far from stylish, but they seem to be awesome. The bright yellow gives high contrast, and I'm surprised that they didn't blind me in bright sunlight. I wore them on a 45 min drive (car), and then another hour driving after dark. The still have good contrast in the dark, and don't really reduce visibility.

Does anyone use yellow / amber shades? I think I'm gonna order some glasses with these lenses.

I've got some prescription sunglasses. They're polarized, with a dark grey tint, and I'm not happy with them for riding. In deciding on what color tint to get for my new glasses my optometrist wife offered me a set of over glasses with amber lenses. They are far from stylish, but they seem to be awesome. The bright yellow gives high contrast, and I'm surprised that they didn't blind me in bright sunlight. I wore them on a 45 min drive (car), and then another hour driving after dark. The still have good contrast in the dark, and don't really reduce visibility.
Does anyone use yellow / amber shades? I think I'm gonna order some glasses with these lenses.
Chec this site they have great bifocal clear tinted and yellow. I am a VINTAGE rider and have used them for several years. They work great during the day, yellow is fantastic for night and they block bugs and rocks, debris, etc and the wind does not get under them as they are wrap arounds and very sturdy. Good luck. Lot less expensive than prescription and way more sturdy for riding.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/olympic.html

When riding in foggy conditions they really help a lot. I also noticed while driving in my truck this winter in heavy snowstorm conditions they increased the distance I could see a bunch. Good for fishing too.

Rose colored polarized lenses. (yeah, come on w/ the rose colored glasses jokes) Very, very good high contrast. Not good in the dark, though. Low light days show how well these perform. Also very good in bright sun. Made by Maui Jim.

Chec this site they have great bifocal clear tinted and yellow. I am a VINTAGE rider and have used them for several years. They work great during the day, yellow is fantastic for night and they block bugs and rocks, debris, etc and the wind does not get under them as they are wrap arounds and very sturdy. Good luck. Lot less expensive than prescription and way more sturdy for riding.https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/olympic.html

Great find! I've been wearing these -- click -- carrying a pair of clear and a pair of smoke with me, and I think they're great. The ones you found, though, are half the price. I think I'll order a pair of the yellow, since Whitehorse doesn't offer that shade, to see how they compare comfort-wise.

[quote name='IndianaTom' date='Mar 29 2007, 07:42 PM' post='223779'

They are not prescription, but I wear a pair of Serengeti Drivers with the Henna colored light sensitive lenes. They are very good in low level light and excellent in the rain. They are also polarized and work great in the bright Fla. sun.

Capt. Bob

I used to wear polarized lenses, they make things look funny through the visor. Tinted visor for me.

Serious motorcyclists wear... only one brand.

379489309_3b55c157f1.jpg

My #1 all time favorite for everything were RayBan "Ambermatics" shooting glasses which they don't make anymore. :angry: :angry: :angry: Light amber tint in low light gave great contrast in fog or at night, they darkened to almost brown in bright light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a cool pair of blue sport sunglasses with foam around the frame with an old prescription last year. NEVER EVER use an old prescription. Wasted $300. Paid for a new prescription, and new lenses (blue polarized) that look sharp in the blue wrap-around frames. haven't worn these $750 :angry2: dollar beauties yet, but I can see. I don't give a damn how they work, I'm wearing them for that money. <_<

I've had a pair of Oakley with the G30 lens for quite a while. Find the lens comfortable for most lighting situations.

I also have Oakleys with an amber lens. I like it better than the dark gray or even polarized lens.

I have a tinted visor. It is far superior than any sunglasses I used to use.
What Daytripper said. I love my tinted shield for daytime riding. :clapping: I also carry a clear shield in my tankbag in case I stay out late or run into a rain storm.

Tom