What does your buttocks like?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
The stock 05 FJR seat is painful after an hour or two in the seat. It seems my butt slide forward while my riding pants stick to the seat leaving me with a herandice wedgie. I've read a few options such as reshaping the foam, adding gel and the like. I've also read about the Russel seat (which I'm not fond of the looks).

Couple of questions:

1) what are you guy/gals paying for reshaping the riders seat?

2) I read somewhere here of a good upolstrer that will consider your weight, riding position, style and other desires then custom shape your seat. Does anybody remember the link?

3) Other than a local upolstry shop, any recommendations who to send it to (or how to determine if the local upolstry shop is capable)?

4) What other alternatives are there?

Thanks again.

All of these should have websites: Sargent, Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer, Corbin. And there are other seat manufacturers.

You could use the "search" function :blink: (under "fjrforum" in the header, in the bluebar), type in "seat" and read all of the topics that come up and the comments, then make a decision. :eek: Sorry, there isn't any shortcut and this discussion will go on...and on...and on...and on.....

I have used a fleece automobile seat cover that I cut to fit the FJR seat and that gained me some comfort and extended my riding range to 300-400 miles. Some use the "Airhawk" cushion, others use beads.

I have a Russell :yahoo: , one of the pieces I harvested from my totalled '04. No "butt-burn"...and I can't see it when I'm sitting on it. Function over form! If my byoo-tocks ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! :dribble:

Or....this quote from rockmurf on May2, 2007:

I tried all the crap too, airhawk, wooden beads, gel with sheepskin pad, sargeant, corbin and finally russell. Had to send it back once for adjustment but since i have done an ironbutt run with no butt problems. also helpful would be the heli triple clamp and the wildbill hwy pegs(these are a must if you have any knee pain). save yourself the aggravation and just get the russell or mayer and all you will do is ride and not have to worry about the seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll find fans of most of the aftermarket seats. I really like the designs from Russell, Rick Mayer, or Bill Mayer, which are all derivations of each other.* I had a Bill Mayer on my Connie and have a Rick Mayer on the FJR. Two thumbs for either one. For me, the RM saddle changed the FJR from a 450 mile bike to an I'd-never-really-need-to-get-off-if-I-never-peed-or-bought-gas bike. Figure the budget in the $300 range, probably less.

*If you're new to the saddle discussions, here's the relationship in a nutshell: The Russell seat was designed by Bill Mayer (sold that company and patent for spring based supplement support). He started another Bill Mayer saddle company using the same basic, slightly winged shape but with different densities of foam instead of springs. Sons Rocky and Rick grew up working in the shop. Rocky now runs the Bill Mayer company and Rick runs his own.

I have a Rick Mayer seat and the wife and I love it. Can do 500 mile days NO PROBLEM YMMV. IIRC the seats got done for around $350 (+/- a few bucks). Check his web page for details.

Tom

The stock 05 FJR seat is painful after an hour or two in the seat. It seems my butt slide forward while my riding pants stick to the seat leaving me with a herandice wedgie. I've read a few options such as reshaping the foam, adding gel and the like. I've also read about the Russel seat (which I'm not fond of the looks).
Couple of questions:

1) what are you guy/gals paying for reshaping the riders seat?

2) I read somewhere here of a good upolstrer that will consider your weight, riding position, style and other desires then custom shape your seat. Does anybody remember the link?

3) Other than a local upolstry shop, any recommendations who to send it to (or how to determine if the local upolstry shop is capable)?

4) What other alternatives are there?

Thanks again.
:blink: I agree that my '05 seat was less then comfortable after two hours and had the same problem with the wedgie...soooo when I bought the '06, I bought a Corbin along with a smuggler and am very happy with it.

Have been on two long distance tours before I received the Corbin. The '06 saddle was better then the '05, but still wasn't comfortable after about three and a half hours.

Since getting the Corbin, have been on two long distance tours and have had several days in the 500, 600, 700, and 800 mile range with no discomfort. In fact just got home from a 4,200 mile ride last month and I can't remember having to stand up on the pegs to "re-arrange" the clothing like I did with the stock seats.

If you don't remember having to get off the bike due to saddle discomfort and only for fuel stops, bathroom breaks or photo opportunities, that's a great thing.

The smuggler is perfectly sized capacity for me. I keep tools, locks, tire repair kits, tire inflation stuff, first aid kit and wet weather gear in it and it is easily assessible as opposed to digging through saddle bags that are full of clothing, photo gear and computer stuff. The one drawback was that it is "pricey".

Also you don't get the high speed instability that is occasionally mentioned with some of the high capacity hard cases some other FJR owners have mentioned. It looks sleek as though it's part of "original" equipment and design and not a "Goldwing light".

The stock seat on my 05 only gets uncomfortable if I'm rididng 2 up and I can't move around like I like to. Try a pair of these for wedgie free comfort. They make a huge difference for a lot less than a seat.

Can you move around on the twisties with the RM?? Those 'wings' don't seem to conduce to that, but don't like to assume, hence my asking.

My choice of mass made A/M seat is Sargent, but haven't ordered one yet. Max mileage I like to do in a day is 500 (record is 620, and don't intend to break it). I only ride for the twisties, so 500 miles is a long day for me; I don't see the fun on more than that, so will never attempt an IB ride. I need a compromise between comfort and handling in the twisties. If one of the Mayer folks cater to that, please let me know. Thanks gang.

JC

Well,

Decided to suit up with an old pair of cycling shorts (tights) and wear my Triumph Raptor summer riding pants. Although I only rode for an hour or so, I found myself not needing to adjust the family jewels as before. This may do the trick for a while...At least until I get caught up on my M/C bills. When that is covered, I'll be looking at the Bill Mayer Seat.

Thanks Again

I had a seat done by Bill (Rocky) Mayer for my Interceptor and it was awesome. I am going to get my FJR seat done this week or next. I just need to call to schedule my ride in appointment.

Monkey butt be gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I'll be in the minority with my low-rent farkles, but rather than reshape the seat I put various roadbutt relief items, like a raw gel pad (on sale for $30) in a pillow case, an inflatable surgical donut ($7), or wooden beads (like cabbies use but cut to fit the seat; $15). I can rotate through 1, 2, or all 3 plus the plain old seat to give my butt some variety & stave off the serious soreness.

Waiting for someone to chime in with "turning the other cheek" toward the stock seat.