What else during ignition switch change...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhawk

Reaction score
OK, I saw it on a couple of posts....now I can't find or even remember it...

What else can be done at the dealer when they have the tank up for the ignition switch change....doesn't cost much...doesn't take long because the tank is up(man it's hard getting old...or maybe it's just a brain fart)?

Since your average mechanic can have the tank off in about 5 minutes or less, I would not expect them to want to cut you any slack on the labor cost. He might say he is, but I bet he is making it up somewhere.

Before going to the shop, I took the plastic piece off between the seat and the tank, since the tank had to come up, and a couple of black fairing pieces off, since I was installing headed grips and they would need to pop the bars off-- I even held off on the final wiring so they wouldn't have to worry about the wires. Plus I knew I would do a careful and proper tightening of stuff going back on.

Shop time was still the same.... but the mechanic appreciated my efforts.

B)

Make sure he re-torques the stem spanner nuts (that means resetting the bearing-setting spanner, then the locking spanner, then of course 85 pounds of torque on the top cap nut that is visible above the tree clamp.)

Also make sure that the bolts have been properly installed (visual and feel) on the clamp where it attaches on the fork legs. There have been a couple of instances where folks drove away and later found these bolts to be loose.

Finally, make sure that your handle bars are back in the same position as they were before the work. I found that after my switch install, the right side was mounted further forward than the left side. It was just a simple oversight by the mechanic, but he fixed it in just a couple of minutes while I waited.

Then, if you fully trust Yamaha and their ability to fix this switch once and for all, you are done. Otherwise, order the Brodie switch contact bypass harness, install it, and go forward with life.

Most of the stuff I have mentioned above can be found in the bin of facts (torques for the spanners) if you would like to see a great collection of factoids about your bike.

Finally, make sure that your handle bars are back in the same position as they were before the work. I found that after my switch install, the right side was mounted further forward than the left side.
Sounds like you had yours done at South Valley Motorsports in Salt Lake. Did it take them two tries for yours also? Even though I asked them directly before they started the work the bike still rolled out with two shiny new keys.

"May I speak with the service manager please?"

This is why I have trouble turning my bike over to the stealers.

Mine goes in next week for the ignition switch. Already have Brodie's relay harness in.

Thanks for the heads up and what to look out for at the service.

FJJ'sR

Latest posts