What grease to use?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crewof1

Beaten by the odds
Reaction score
For a change of pace from the oil/filter threads, how about we discuss what grease to use where?

(If this needs to go to Never-ending pointless threads, I totally understand!)

I know that I'm supposed to use white lithium grease for levers, kickstand and other relatively low-duty items.

I also know that I'm supposed to use HondaPro Moly 60 for the splines and driveline.

What does everyone use for heavy-duty items like steering head bearings, axles, wheel bearings, etc.? Can I use Moly 60 for everything, or is there something better? Can I use that old can of Valvoline multi-purpose lithium based grease I have, or is there something better? Is grease just grease, as in some of any kind is better than none?

TIA for your suggestions....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help, WC. I guess Mobil is what everyone uses, since there are no dissenters. :rolleyes:

Guess no one is emotionally invested in the grease they use, unlike tires, oil, etc. I'm surprised there are no smartass jokes, either - I left the door wide open!

Well, give us a chance. I'm sure we can work up some dissenting opinions once we get going. :D

Well, give us a chance. I'm sure we can work up some dissenting opinions once we get going.  :D
So, how long should I wait for you guys to get rolling?

I suppose the main problem here is that grease is boring. :bordum:

Some threads get several pages of posts in the 19 hours I waited before thanking WC; most new topics get several replies in several hours.

Other recommendations still welcome, sorry if I seemed impatient - I was trying to be light-hearted about the lack of responses. :innocent:

6703a.jpg

None better............. ;)

One other noteable grease to consider is BelRay "Water Proof" grease. Comes in a small tub at dirt bike shops. Excellent stuff from my experience. I started using it not knowing any better ages ago when still riding dirt bikes. The stuff really is "water proof" and I have used it in everything from trailer wheel bearing to sealing the gasket on the lid of my washing machine with no failures at all.

As far as grease cartridges for grease guns consider Kendall "SuperBlue". Another excellent product with outstanding water resistence. Most everything I own that has a zerk fitting gets the Kendall with no problems at all todate. I use that now in my trailer wheel bearings. I just inspected my snowmobile trailer wheel bearings with over 30,000 miles on them (little 8 inch wheels and all) and they look perfect despite high speeds (I tow the thing at 80+ for hours on end) and road salt and such. I do know that if you get the blue shite on you or in your clothes it is almost impossible to wash out so it is definitely tenacious.

The Mobile grease is without a doubt an excellent product so I am not knocking it at all. Just not many applications need the temperature stability of the synthetic (expensive) grease.

The Sambo grease tub is classic. Another alternative if you are really cost conscious is Crisco lard.

Now, THAT'S more like it! Thanks to all for the responses to what was/is a serious question to me. I am new to "doing all the maintenance" myself and it really helps to know what products you more experienced folks are using.

The humor was appreciated, too - that's the forum I've come to enjoy being a part of.

Thanks again.

+1 on Belray and Moly 60.

I use only Moly 60 for the driveshaft/u-joint. But...I mix Belray and Moly 60 in a babyfood jar (75%Belray/25% moly) for bearings and general grease applications (such as footpeg pivots). I used to put a small amount of anti-seize in the mix, but don't see a need for this anymore.

After years of tearing down dirt bike suspensions for annual maintenance, this is just about the only combination I've found that prevents seizing/galling and is waterproof. This is not pansy riding...I've talking about thick mud and water crossings along with powerwashing everything for cleanup. Not much will hold up to that abuse.

I use the Mobil grease on my automotive driveshafts, but this is mainly because it's convenient to use the tubes. Sometime I'll brew up my own blend for the cars.

I used to know a guy who worked the late-shift @ KFC, all the grease you want and it wouldn't come out of his clothes either.

So - is there any reason NOT to use the Mobil 1 grease on the splines, driveshaft, etc?
The Pro Moly60 has a higher Moly content. As such, it's better for keeping it where you put it when under pressure and heat. It's less likely to flow away from where you want it to be.