What is the best communicator?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a communicator, so I can talk to my passenger and to other bikes. Which unit is best?

I was going to mention Eve's sign language..... :yahoo: :lol: Never mind, you had to be there.

First, find out what others you would be riding with are using. If everyone else is using a Chatterbox, your decision is made.

Which unit is best?
Pick any communications system and you will find someone that likes it and will sing its praises. So, although unscientific, I based my decision on what products seemed to get the fewest complaints - in which case you are looking at starcom (from sportbikeeffects :) ) or autocom.

Personally I have enough electronic products that I have to screw around with to get them to work properly, I wanted a communications system that worked well everytime I got on the bike. No complaints with my Autocom super pro avi so far, crystal clear at speed. The setup is a bit of a pain, but once that is sorted out it works great.

You can find cheaper units for sure, but in the two years I have been monitoring FJR forums I cannot recall anyone having major complaints about either of the above mentioned systems, of course I suffer from CRS so that may not mean much ;)

EDIT: Some have complained about the quality of the speakers with the autocom when listening to music, you can find posts here for upgrades. At the cost of this system that is considered a big disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Starcom and love it. Don't know how to say which is best, though.

I know which one is NOT the best - Motocom AB1M

I'm looking to get a communicator, so I can talk to my passenger and to other bikes. Which unit is best?
I have two autocom systems on two different bikes. A Pro M1 and something else, I can't remember. Like someone else said, the headset speakers are junk, but the rest of the system works well. To rectify the speaker problem, get a decent set of head phone speakers at Radio Shack, cut the autocom speakers off and solder the new ones on. The only other thing, you will want to do, is add an amplifier if you are going to listen to music through the system. There just isn't enough volume without one. You can get Boosteroo 's just about anywhere for $25.00. Just do a google search.

In my opinion this addition of communication, listening to music, and being able to hear a radar detector, makes long rides much more pleasurable.

Have fun and good luck.

DCH

Has anyone got this newfangled BlueTooth thing down for pasenger/rider communication?

Call and talk to Jeff @ sportbike effects There are so many good unit's out there it's hard to make a decision, but a few Q&A from jeff might help you out

Has anyone got this newfangled BlueTooth thing down for pasenger/rider communication?
Here you go, Captain Kirk!

communicator.jpg

Linky

:grin:

I have the Autocom Pro-M1 (now two generations old) on my ride and I have it interfaced to the \kenwood TK-3101 GMRS radio. They work well and the speakers aren't bad.

However they do not protect against wind noise so I have Westone UM-2 ear-canal headphones plugged into Autocom's headphone adapter.

THAT works fine.

Stay with Starcom or Autocom. I have used both the cheap Nady intercoms and an old chatterbox 40. The Nady is a total POS. The Chatterbox worked but I was always replacing headsets or cables, what a PIA.

I have a Starcom Advance now and it woks great and is much better built. Intercoms / communicators is one farkle where spending the extra $ really pays off.

I think it is worth mentioning that you will need two devices. An intercom preferably with noise canceling ability and a radio for bike to bike communication. I have the Autocom and have been using it for about 3 years now. There are several units out there that compare favorably with the Autocom. For the radio you could use a CB or a FM band radio such as FRS, or GMRS. I think your best bet is the FM radios. The difference between FRS and GMRS is transmit power and some of the frequencies are different, also the FCC would like you to pay for a licence for the GMRS unit. I believe its $50 for five years or so. The quality of these radios varies GREATLY. Find a good manufacturer like Motorolla or Icom, Maxon, Kenwood, Vertex, or Yeasu. You can even get a water resistant units. Make sure that the intercom unit has the proper connection plug for the radio you want to use. Autocom has dozens of different connectors including connectors for Ham radios. Installation is relatively simple. Just find a power source under the seat, (I used the tail running light wire) and velcro the unit somewhere under the seat. Then connect your push to talk (PTT) and headsets and you are ready to go!

Gary

There is no "best commicator" for bikes, it depends on what your needs are. For my son and I, the Platinum 900 helmet communicator system works best. It's totally battery powered and portable, so it doesn't require hookup to the bike. My son and I use it on both our street bikes and dirtbikes and it can be easily transfered from one helmet to the other. The range and sound quality are excellent, very clear transmissions, virtually zero static or interruption by other transmissions. Excellent battery life, we get about two full days of riding time on the batteries, chattering almost constantly. Passenger intercom is excellent. I understand the new Platinum 900's even offer bluetooth capability, if you're interested in that, we're not. Won't meet everyone's needs but sure meets ours.

The website link is https://www.collettcommunicators.com/home_main.htm

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

I believe Collett operates on it's own frequency 900 mhz. So the only people you could talk to are other Collett users. From other threads it sounds like the majority are using GMRS/FRS radio systems.

I use the Autocomm and a Kenwood TK 3101 with external aerial. Crystal clear up to any speed you want to go.

>I believe Collett operates on it's own frequency 900 mhz. So the only people you could talk to are >other Collett users. From other threads it sounds like the majority are using GMRS/FRS radio >systems.

That's true that the only people you can talk to with the Collett are other Collett users but that's one of the reasons I bought it. I don't have any interest in picking up talk from riders that we aren't riding with. My son and I and all but one of our buddies that we frequently ride with have all purchased the Platinum 900 and can communicate with one another without being bothered by picking up unwanted, idle chatter from other riders. But if you want the GMRS/FRS capability, then the Platinum 900 is NOT the communicator for you. Thanks for clarifying.

>I believe Collett operates on it's own frequency 900 mhz. So the only people you could talk to are >other Collett users. From other threads it sounds like the majority are using GMRS/FRS radio >systems.That's true that the only people you can talk to with the Collett are other Collett users but that's one of the reasons I bought it. I don't have any interest in picking up talk from riders that we aren't riding with. My son and I and all but one of our buddies that we frequently ride with have all purchased the Platinum 900 and can communicate with one another without being bothered by picking up unwanted, idle chatter from other riders. But if you want the GMRS/FRS capability, then the Platinum 900 is NOT the communicator for you. Thanks for clarifying.

Tried a used collett. No go. Piece of .....

Anyway, Jeff hooked me up with a Starcom. First test ride today. Awesome! I Pod sounds like we're not even on the bike. Intercom clear as a bell, mutes the music and then it comes back up. Mike is right on my lips which is kind of annoying, but my helmet fits tight. Pillon has mike slightly too far away but I can hear her and the music doesn't mute for her but I can hear her over it which is kind of cool. Sounds just like she's standing behind me talking at home.

I should add that we used Trick Audio earphones (three pair for 99). Do a great job of canceling outside sound.

Should have the phone hooked up by next week along with the GPS and Bel. Great system. The power plug is a little loose and pulls out, but i'm going to get Jeff to send me a new one and that will fix that.

Can't go wrong with this system.

Dutch1201

Didn't realize until now that pete was in on this one too. Check out his questions on oil and gasoline - troll.