What is the best model year in your opinion?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85fj1100

Reaction score
I am looking to get an FJR at some point.Hopefully late this season or early next season.I am 6'4" tall and weigh in at 310LBS.I will probable be looking at a used one.What do you guys consider the best model year and why?What year would give me the best bang for the buck?Thanks all in advance.

Oh, this should be a good one. You should've waited to post until tomorrow!

Pssst..........

2004!

Definitely 2008. Why?

it-are-fact.thumbnail.jpg

There is no bad year. There are better years...but no bad year. So get the cheapest one you can find in the best condition.

There. That is my non-Friday answer. :lol:

That question can't possibly be answered unless we know what oil is run in each year. Your best bet is to browse through the very few threads on the subject here or simply each vote here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to get an FJR at some point.Hopefully late this season or early next season.I am 6'4" tall and weigh in at 310LBS.I will probable be looking at a used one.What do you guys consider the best model year and why?What year would give me the best bang for the buck?Thanks all in advance.
Well, "if" you want the very best one out there, you could buy my '05 Gen I with 60,000+ miles on it for say $6500, and I will force myself to buy a newer/albeit slower, brand new Gen II.

Tip = the thing that makes the '05's the "best" is the color = Galaxy Blue (and they are a bit faster than all the rest).

So, there you go! :D

You should buy my one owner original 03 s/n 216. Just shy of 100k. never been crashed and only tipped over once. well farkled. only 17,375.26 american dollars. that should cover a nice used gen 1 and enough to laugh and giggle about the foolishness of threads like this.

Its kind of like SEX, no real bad ones just some better than others. Gen1 is faster and 03 is quicker. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Indeed, live bomb in the room! The correct answer is "the one I own".

The USA market opening model in '03 has 'introductory hp' and like many first year bikes is the quickest. However it has the smallest brake rotors of any Gen, no ABS, flaccid suspension and the highest risk of having premature valve guide wear due to excessively tight valve stem seals.

The '04/'05s are probably the most trouble free years. With ABS either of these two years is probably the best compromise of all years and Gens. Good reliability, good performance and a good ride with no real warts.

The Gen IIs got a bit heavier and geared a bit taller which ever so slightly cuts into performance. The chassis was altered with a longer rear swing arm giving an improved ride at a tiny cost of cornering. The Gen IIs got a better dash with the exception of the turn signal indicators and the Gen IIs come with more features and built-in adjustability.

The '06/'07 are the most troubled of the Gen IIs with some strange ECU and throttle changes. All of the Gen IIs have had a number of significant recalls. The '08-'10 are probably the best sorted out Gen IIs. The elephant in the room is the grounding spiders. There are multiple ground points that have been proven to fail in a significant number of FJRs. The Forum at your service here -- we can help diagnose a ground failure, supply you with 2-3 solutions that will prevent failure and help fix failed wire harnesses. The question is if Yamaha will help the Gen II owners.

A strictly clinical listing of all the years and the changes can be found in the model year comparison matrix.

Edited to ask: So, I see you are built on a truck chassis, are you indeed a caber tosser? You gots the build!

In my totally unbiased opinion, it is without a doubt, the model year 2005.
Mr. John Ryan proved this in his 94 hour ride form Alaska to Florida. :yahoo:

Anyone want to challenge this? :dribble:

2005s didn't come standard with Devil's Tower gas tanks...nor did they come standard with John Ryan. Your argument is ineffective.

EDIT: However I may admit that you may be on to something if I see on the interwebs that you have performed the same feat with YOUR FJR. :D

I hate to agree with Ionbeam, but his ANALysis is correct!

(and I have an 06)

Then again, it has over 100k on the clock and is still running strong.

Then again, my HD Ultra has 148k + on it and it run strong too - and has never let me down.

So - the best bike is a HD Ultra. :rolleyes:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=131349 If I was in the mood to own a second FJR and if I wanted a Generation Two: This is the FJR that I would own. It was owned by a little old man from Woodinville, Washington that only drove it to his church and the liquor store. Babied since birth and a ton of the useful farkles! $5,999. A Smoking deal!!

It seems that the, ummm...err....ahem, "non-mass challenged" folks on this forum prefer the Gen1's (slight) acceleration advantage....personally I believe it's so they can keep up with us svelte Gen II riders.... :blink: :dribble: :yahoo:

What do you guys consider the best model year and why?What year would give me the best bang for the buck?Thanks all in advance.
'09's, of course!

Seriously, I'd just look at the classifieds here, Craiglist (www.allofcraigs.com or similar) and any other sources and buy the best value/deal. Some yrs are prone to some recalls and idiosyncrasies, but all are OK IMO, and would be a great buy.

Definitely 1957 followed by 1964. The designers had there chops together for some really distinctive stuff. The ones who didn't fell by the wayside; Packard, Willys, Hudson.

1964 saw the introduction of the gen 1 Pontiac Tempest GTO, the birth of the muscle car. It was followed by the Gen 2 the following year, gaining weight and inches in every direction.

Prefer the Gen 1 FJR and GTO, thank you.