What is your favorite folding knife?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite knife is a Boker Tree Brand Classic, I have had for over 20 years. It is made of 440C Solingen steel.

I keep it sharp enough to shave with. It holds an edge longer than any knife I have ever owned. Its called a classic lock blade hunter

Boker

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry either a Spyderco Caly3 or a Benchmade MWG 9050-702 Auto (military issue only). Both are a bit expensive but worth every penny.

I prefer the Kershaw Leek ($49 at Wal-Mart, $46.50 at PVK.com)

I believe it's the best all-round knife out there. I also have most of the other's mentioned here (like the Sog Flash II, multiple Benchmades, multiple Bucks, MicroTechs, Paragons, Bokers, Case, custom folders, etc.), but I find the Kershaw Leek in my pocket more than the others.

leekplainedge.jpg

whatever knife you decide on, make sure you can open it one-handed. you never know when that little feature may someday save your life.

I know your looking for a knife, but I prefer a Leatherman tool. Saved my butt more than once. Knife included.

Whew!! I was just about to toss my ten year old Leatherman.

Works great for me and the service is top notch. I broke a blade and the philips tip on separate occasions, both times they fixed it plus sharpened and tightened everything up for shipping costs. :good:

:jester:

My 2 cents worth, for serious work I prefer a Benchmade. They are strong and operate smoothly. For an every day pocket knife I like the small Ken Onion designs sold by Kershaw. I carry the Mini Mojo because it is the perfect size for pocket carry, it has assisted opening, and the lock that prevents it from opening in your pocket is part of the flipper so you don't need to unlock it before you can flip it open.

ks1800.jpg

+1 on the Leatherman tool, as long as it's actually one of the models from Leatherman Tools. Mine go on all of my adventures. Can cut aircraft aluminum skins (raggedly) with no problem. A real test of the metal is how long a knife can hold an edge while skinning deer and the Leathermans hold a sharp edge significantly longer than most.

I prefer the Kershaw Leek ($49 at Wal-Mart, $46.50 at PVK.com)I believe it's the best all-round knife out there. I also have most of the other's mentioned here (like the Sog Flash II, multiple Benchmades, multiple Bucks, MicroTechs, Paragons, Bokers, Case, custom folders, etc.), but I find the Kershaw Leek in my pocket more than the others.

leekplainedge.jpg
Kershaw Leek for me as well. Carried it for years. It's thin enough to fit nicely in my front pocket using the clip. Lotta great knives out there. It's addictive!

I've got a question....by law (riding around-not entering a plane):

....How long can a folding blade be?

....How long can a rigid blade be?

Can someone point me to a link?

I've got a question....by law (riding around-not entering a plane):....How long can a folding blade be?

Knife laws vary by state and can get a little confusing. For example, here in MA it's illegal for me to carry a double edge or auto opener over 1 1/4" yet it's perfectly legal to carry a razor sharp 4' katana sword :blink: .

If I recall, your state prohibits the carrying of auto openers, double edges (dirk, dagger) or anything over 3".

I've got a question....by law (riding around-not entering a plane):....How long can a folding blade be?

Knife laws vary by state and can get a little confusing. For example, here in MA it's illegal for me to carry a double edge or auto opener over 1 1/4" yet it's perfectly legal to carry a razor sharp 4' katana sword :blink: .

If I recall, your state prohibits the carrying of auto openers, double edges (dirk, dagger) or anything over 3".
Thanks Kenpo...I guess my 5" rigid blade that my mom gave me back in '80 before a long bike trip (she wanted me to have some sort of protection) is no good anymore.

I'm looking for something to protect myself from big animals or others this summer as I hope to camp(and or motel) in Montana & Wyoming before or after NAFO...

Thanks KIEFFER..