What TBS Tool Do You Use?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reborn Rider

Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing the guages to do the TBS sync myself. I would be interested in knowing what kinds/brands are best and which vendor I should use. What are your thoughts/experiences? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morgan carb tune (no mercury). top of the line equipment.

They will ship it to you in about 3 days. I recomend getting the carrying case.

Fred

Ditto Jestal.

I have a econ motion pro. Not well constructed enough for shop end, but good enough for the home wrench. True Hg doesn't lie, as long as you measure with a ruler - the marking on my MP are about 1.5 cm off.

-BD

Morgan Cartune here. When you're done just put it back in the box and store it anyway you want. It's a little pricey but no mercury to mess with. Either type does the job just fine.

Motion Pro Delux mercury, but if I was buying one today I would probably try the Morgan. The rods can't spill out or get sucked into the engine as with the mercury so it looks more user friendly to me, especially when you need to snap the throttle a few times or rev it up. Also, the rods won't separate at their tops and make it hard to get a reading. The absolute cm Hg isn't usually very important anyway, the vacuums just need to be the same. If you are careful with the Motion Pro, you can avoid the two problems I mentioned above by careful storage, clamping off the tubes when you rev it, etc., but it is more of a hassle. Haven't heard any bad reviews on the Morgan.

Morgan for me as well. I had never do a TB sync before, got the bars perfect in about 20 minutes total. Just do the tip about slipping a wire through the wire clip that keeps the rubber cap on so you don't lose it inside the motor somewhere.

I now use the Morgan after years of using the merc gauges. Solid, no bubbles to upset the columns. And a tip for those who do lose things "inside the motor". While putting in the cruise Saturday, Shane and I shoved a telescoping magnet into the space the starter occupies, directly behind the cyl block. We recovered a: dropped cruise clip, a cap retainer, a spring that had popped off a month before, a washer that had dropped there who knows when. Nice of Yammi to create a bankable spare parts storehouse back there... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a motion pro because it was free in that I could borrow it anytime from a riding buddy: but I bought a Carbtune because it was just as easy to use and does not have mercury. You can get excellent results with either type so it just comes down to preference. The carrying case is a nice and easy way to transport the unit safely.

I got a Motion Pro Economy Carb Tuner for $35 + $10 shipping. Followed Warchild's instructions which made it simple and it worked fine. B)

Morgan for me too. Dead easy to use. Has to come all the way from across the UK but the folks there were friendly, easy to deal with, and I got the carbtune in about a week (most of that time was probably spent in customs).

Top notch equipment and I'm happy.

Darcy