What to do with gear while at IMS?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harfooz

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Last year, we drove the truck up to the Int'l Motorcycle Show, but this year we're planning on riding the FJR up to Greenville on Jan 9. I keep one of the side cases packed with emergency/rain gear, and that leaves us with the other side case and the touring trunk to stash gear, while we're checking out the show. Unlike going to a motel out of town, we won't have a place to put all that gear for two people (boots, baselayer, winter pants, jacket, helmet) while we're at the show.

What do you all do with your gear when you're away from the bike for a long time, and don't have a motel room to store it?

Maybe there is a "coat check" at the Carolina First Center? Bicycle cable with padlock? Other ideas?

Thanks!

'fooz

I've been using a 6' long steel cable with pad lock for years. I just pile up the 'Stitch and Wifey's stuff on the tank and thread the cable thru everything and lock it all to the rear view mirror. Helmets on the mirrors too although I'm thinking about those helmet lock things that attach to the license plate.

Tank bag into the side bag or trunk if nothing else is in there, otherwise I hve to drag it around.

Hi folks,
Last year, we drove the truck up to the Int'l Motorcycle Show, but this year we're planning on riding the FJR up to Greenville on Jan 9. I keep one of the side cases packed with emergency/rain gear, and that leaves us with the other side case and the touring trunk to stash gear, while we're checking out the show. Unlike going to a motel out of town, we won't have a place to put all that gear for two people (boots, baselayer, winter pants, jacket, helmet) while we're at the show.

What do you all do with your gear when you're away from the bike for a long time, and don't have a motel room to store it?

Maybe there is a "coat check" at the Carolina First Center? Bicycle cable with padlock? Other ideas?

Thanks!

'fooz
I wish I had your problems. I have used a ski cable lock in the past.

Seattle had a free coat check...

Coats, helmets, everything

I just now tried getting the Carolina First Center to ask somebody there if they are going to have a gear check, and didn't ever get a human to talk with. I'll keep trying and if I find out something, I'll post it here.

'fooz

Concur.......Past couple years and couple shows, it's been standard to have free helmet/riding jacket checked.

Just a thought....while your there, plan on buying a trunk to mount and then that'll solve a bit of the problem.

I use rubber coated cable lock for the helmets and thread it through the base of the trunk as well.

I use this , it is the Defcon from Targus. It is for laptops but works well on bikes too. The alarm sounds if anything is messed with, the bike is sat on etc and the alarm is easy to tuck under the jacket, helmet etc. The cable is about 3 feet

718VGBSCHNL_SL500_AA280_gif.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,

Thanks!

'fooz
There was free "coat check" style gear storage at the show last year. I assume it will be the same this year.

Last year the CW IMS web site posted a lot more info about the show ahead of time, such as a list of exhibitors and OEMs doing demo rides. There was also free/dedicated m/c parking. This year there is verry little info listed. How have those of you that have attended this years shows found them to compare to last years? # of exhibitors, OEMs (well, we know there will be at least one fewer-Buell), # of attendees?

Fooz, where in SC are you coming from? I can hook you up with plenty of storage 35 minutes from the show. Plus show the back way straight to the m/c parking lot.

...Fooz, where in SC are you coming from? I can hook you up with plenty of storage 35 minutes from the show. Plus show the back way straight to the m/c parking lot.
I'm just below you in Newberry! :lol:

Assuming it's not snowing, we'll probably be coming right through your neck of the woods: Hwy 76 then Hwy 14. I think I-26 is going to be closed northbound real soon.

We're from Greenville originally. Are you going to the show too?

...Fooz, where in SC are you coming from? I can hook you up with plenty of storage 35 minutes from the show. Plus show the back way straight to the m/c parking lot.

Assuming it's not snowing, we'll probably be coming right through your neck of the woods: Hwy 76 then Hwy 14. I think I-26 is going to be closed northbound real soon.

Small World!

We are planning on going to the show. Will firm up our plans later in week as weather forecast gets more believeable. Wouldn't it be cool to put together a little group ride up 276 (then maybe hit the Pinacle Mtn Rd, Green River Rd, Hwy 176 area) in cunjunction with the show? Too bad it's supposed to be 12 degrees all week. Think I'll post something over in Southeast and see if anybody's interested.

Small World!

We are planning on going to the show. Will firm up our plans later in week as weather forecast gets more believeable. Wouldn't it be cool to put together a little group ride up 276 (then maybe hit the Pinacle Mtn Rd, Green River Rd, Hwy 176 area) in cunjunction with the show? Too bad it's supposed to be 12 degrees all week. Think I'll post something over in Southeast and see if anybody's interested.
I just now got my tickets online. Had to wait a while in line last year.

NOAA's not got the Saturday weather forecast up yet, but Friday's looks interesting:

Friday: A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

I used the gear check last year.

They were supposed to have two, but I only found one in the Ducati world section.

They give you a large trashbag to fill, tie it off and give you a claim stub.

It worked very well.

I put one of these in the helmet and/or jacket pocket with some monofilament line with a quick clip from the ring to the bike somewhere :rolleyes:

DON'T forget to unclip though and extra reason not to drink and ride :yahoo:

4294608834_a37d7be328.jpg