What to do with Stock Exhaust after upgrade?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimsailor00

Reaction score
I just upgraded my stock pipes with Vance & Hines slip ons. Now I have these two stock cans laying around and am trying to figure out what to do with them. There are tons of stock mufflers on eBay for cheap. Is it worth my time trying to sell them? Could I get some money by taking them to the scrap metal recycler? Should I try to find a place to store them (even though I have no plans on ever selling this bike)? Or do I take the easiest way out and pitch them in the trash?

What are your thoughts?

Chris

I'd gladly take them off you, except that shipping to Japan will make it prohibitive.

Really though, how much space do the OEM pipes take up? Just wrap them up and stick them somewhere, they're stainless so they won't rust or anything.

Keep them; you may want to put them back on. My '07 (lightly used) came with Leo Vince cans as well as the OEM mufflers. Once I put the quiet baffles in, I liked the aftermarket ones pretty well although, at that point I had not personally experienced the OEM. Over the next 35,000 miles or so, the LV cans gradually got louder and it was obvious that they needed repacking. The process is a pain in the ass and the cost is significant if you buy the materials from LV - maybe $150 or so, can't remember. In any case, I ended out putting the OEM back on and so far I haven't been tempted to repack the LV and put them back. Maybe one of these days, I'll repack and either sell or put them back on. Most aftermarket mufflers use fiberglass packing material which wears out. OEM's are all stainless as are some aftermarkets such as Staintunes.

The OEM cans look OK and as far as I am concerned, quieter is better. If the total decibel load experienced could be reduced to nothing but wind noise, I could quite happily live with that. I understand that this preference is not shared by everybody but that's what works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one that had a dent in it. The other was in near perfect shape. (I put aftermarket Delkevis on) So I offered it up on the "pay it forward" thread for free. Either or both. No takers yet, but someone will eventually need it and it can go to a good home. The board here has been good to me, so I figured I could help someone who had a mishap or was looking to put a beater back together to get into touring.

I have one that had a dent in it. The other was in near perfect shape. (I put aftermarket Delkevis on) So I offered it up on the "pay it forward" thread for free. Either or both. No takers yet, but someone will eventually need it and it can go to a good home. The board here has been good to me, so I figured I could help someone who had a mishap or was looking to put a beater back together to get into touring.
That was, and is, a kind offer.

The problem is that they don't seem to need replacing often, unless they get damaged. Mine have almost 100k on them and they look and sound just fine despite being 10 years old now.

Mine are taking up a small amount of space in my garage. When the day comes I trade or sell my bike, my TB pipes are coming off and the OEMs will go back on.

Hang them up down cellar like I did. I picked up a pair of superior Gen1 pipes without cats and did the trooper mod. Now I am as fast as the Gen1's.

bleh.gif
bleh.gif
bleh.gif

Dave

I kept my cans for the 05, and when I transferred the Leo Vince cans to my 15, I put them back on the old bike...

worth it for me....

Mine are taking up a small amount if space in my garage. When the day comes I trade or sell my bike, my TB pipes are coming off and the OEMs will go back on.
And .... in the event that you do damage the TB pipes, you have replacements already on hand, if you don't mind going back stock.

I've had the stock pipes for my ZRX hanging on the wall for 13 years. They're worth nothing on the market -- probably not even worth shipping. And if I manage to damage my Akro so badly I can't use it, I could go back stock for free (sort of).

Wait for 30 years, and some idiot doing a restoration project Will pay you too much money for them.

Or you could make me a deal on them. Pop dented his right side can very badly a few years ago and I would not mind fixing it. In fact some things from ColorRite for that project showed up here just two days ago.

We sure would not have an issue with shipping... Assuming I ever get off of nights.

People don't want to pay anything for stock take-off parts. You are better off just keeping them (store them the box the new cans came in) because one day you might want to go back to stock (for a multitude of potential reasons). One of the reasons being that people don't want to pay anything for farkles/customization when you sell/trade that bike.
coolsmiley02.gif