Whats a used Roadcrafter worth?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
Gotta freind that inherited a Roadcrafter suit from his brother. It has signs of wear, some stains on the bottom of the pant leg, some of the velcro on a few pockets have lost their , uh , grip, and it is missing the back armour. The next , perhaps negative is it has "BMW OWNERS OF AMERICA" appearently glued on the back. It is yellow and otherwise....in good shape.

What would be a fair price for what sounds like a well used suit?

TIA

Knifemaker

New it would be $847. I'd say a nice used one would be $400-$500. A well-used one with BMW stuck to the back? Priceless! You'd better get it for yourself.

Ok, jesting aside I'd say maybe $300-$350 from what you described. The back-armor is not stock, it's a $75 item. And contrary to one Roadcrafter posting on eBay, all the other armor (knees, elbows, shoulders) is standard.

Standard disclaimer: I wear a Roadcrafter jacket and Darien pants, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn lastnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I can't help you with a 'fair price'...

But, I will tell you that used 'Stiches' sometimes go for pretty high prices when bidding gets going on ebay. I'd think one with "built-in street cred" (well-worn) and with the added BMW cachet (?) -- well, you just never know... :rolleyes:

(a newbie could look like an IBA veteran for just a few hundred dollars...)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it had a NASA patch and rode a K-bike it would be worth even more.

...wait that's been done....by a guy that now rides an FJR and broke the record from Prudhoe to Key West.

I think LDRydr is in the range.

Gotta freind that inherited a Roadcrafter suit from his brother. It has signs of wear, some stains on the bottom of the pant leg, some of the velcro on a few pockets have lost their , uh , grip, and it is missing the back armour. The next , perhaps negative is it has "BMW OWNERS OF AMERICA" appearently glued on the back. It is yellow and otherwise....in good shape.

TIA

Knifemaker
Don't forget that Aerostich will recondition the suit to like new condition for a very reasonable price. They are located in Duluth, Mn and I've been to their shop a few times. Great people and interesting place to poke around.

The next , perhaps negative is it has "BMW OWNERS OF AMERICA" appearently glued on the back.
Er, that'd make it worth about a $1. Plus $847 for BMW shipping & handling :rolleyes:

Slade actually make an excellent point about reconditioning.

Don't forget that Aerostich will recondition the suit to like new condition for a very reasonable price. They are located in Duluth, Mn and I've been to their shop a few times. Great people and interesting place to poke around.

Duluth? Crap, I'm going to be in Duluth end of July.

The only issue still remaining is if the suit fits. If not, I might just have them measure me one up the right size when I am up there.

KM

Duluth? Crap, I'm going to be in Duluth end of July.

The only issue still remaining is if the suit fits. If not, I might just have them measure me one up the right size when I am up there.

KM
They can also make some pretty major modifications to a suit so it fits right (assuming you don't have big tits and a girly ass) for a suprisingly low cost.

I've heard about the "street cred" thing before, esp. from the BMW crowd. It sounds silly but I actually think it adds value to the suit. Beemerdons? here's "before" (new) on the left and "after" on the right (14 year old suit, washed maybe three times?) I'd throw it on Flea Bay for $800 and see what happens if you decide to sell it. The only downside to these suits is probably the ground in dirt and possibly smell although they can probably fix that too. They rarely "wear out".

P9260010rev01.jpg

The street cread thing is true. I have a well used (11 years) Roadcrafter just like old one above. I have had comments on the wear saying that it gives it (me) some status. I'm pleased to say all the stains were accumulated on my watch. No skid marks though. It gets washed once a year and waterproofed. I don't own a rainsuit and will ride in nothing else.

TIA

Knifemaker
I would agree with some of the others. I have seen alot of used Aerostich's go for $300-$400 on ebay and that is some well used ones. I have personally paid $500 (each)for two different Aerostich roadcrafters that were like new. I have used alot of different riding gear over the years but since I bought my first roadcrafter I probably won't ever wear anything else.

Eric

I have found the list to be much better than the bay. I have an RC 2 piece I got for $350.

The jacket was in great condition - the pants look like they were never worn. After trying

them on and enquiring with the factory, I found out the 2 pieces are matched poorly for me

44L on the jacket is perfect... but the pants are a 38W. I am currently shopping for a matching

pant in a 32W.

Then I will sell the 38 pants seperately. But to answer the OP's ?.... I would not pay more

than 3 bills. The list is the way to go- check it at least once a week.

Mark it up extra if there are any skid marks... :D
Inside or outside?
Yes. ;)
I have embraced technology with all of my skid marks.

Not just visible, but now scratch-n-sniff enabled.

And yes Tyler, not only inside and outside, but through-and-through ....not easily do do with a 'stich because of the robust fabric ...but I apply my skidmarks with 854PSI of pressure.

Many won't believe this, but I'm not shitin' ya.

What would be a fair price for what sounds like a well used suit?TIA

Knifemaker
I bought a used RC 1 piece for $300. It was obviously well used but structurally sound and had had all the armor recently replaced. It was grey/black originally and had faded to a nice light gray/olive drab patina. Unfortunately I decided to dye it. Was trying for a dark grey but it ended up black. It was one of those 'why the hell did I do that' events. Those type of events seem to occur quite frequently.

Anyway, $300 seems to be the price for a well used RC. I've seen newer, lightly used ones go for around $400 to $450.

There are always a few for sale on ADVrider but you've got to be quick to grab one.