Whats it worth?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Cleland

Reaction score
Hi all. I am thinking of selling my FJR. No I really dont want to buy my truck needs alot of motor work and I just can afford it right now. So I figured I would ask the experts what do you think my FJR is worth. Here are the details.

2004 FJR1300 ABS

Cerulean Silver

14k Miles

Condition Excellent (except for a small scratch on the left fairing from a gas pump tipover DAMN YOU KICKSTAND!)

Mods:

Power Port in right dash panel

6 Circuit Power Panel (only 1 circuit used)

Windshield Shim

Throttlemeister Cruise control

Heli Risers

Givi V46 TopCase

Pair System Removed

Let me know what you guys think it's worth or tell me I'm a moron for selling.

Thanks

Joey

Hi all. I am thinking of selling my FJR. No I really dont want to buy my truck needs alot of motor work and I just can afford it right now. So I figured I would ask the experts what do you think my FJR is worth. Here are the details.

2004 FJR1300 ABS

Cerulean Silver

14k Miles

Condition Excellent (except for a small scratch on the left fairing from a gas pump tipover DAMN YOU KICKSTAND!)

Mods:

Power Port in right dash panel

6 Circuit Power Panel (only 1 circuit used)

Windshield Shim

Throttlemeister Cruise control

Heli Risers

Givi V46 TopCase

Pair System Removed

Let me know what you guys think it's worth or tell me I'm a moron for selling.

Thanks

Joey
I shopped long and hard foe a 03-05 FJR these past weeks. I picked up a super clean 03 with over $1000 worth of NICE add-ons for $5100. From what I have seen, A bike like yours would go between $6000-$6500. I'm not saying that's it's not worth more, but it's out of season for selling, it's Christmas, 9.8% unemployment... Ask $6500 and go from there. Just my worthless $.02 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, but you asked for it - you're a moron for selling.

Seriously, though, this is a pretty tough time to sell a bike in any state in the Union. Can it wait until March or April?

NADA lists that bike (with no farkles) for retail $5225 to $6625, depending on condition. KBB shows $6535. Those are retail values, as in the retailer lists it at that price and you try to talk them down from there. Private party sales usually go for a bit less. (I did find one low-mileage '04 listed for more than $6700 on a dealer's site.) Also, those guesstimates are with no farkles. I heard a good rule is about 50-60% of new value if the used add-ons are functional, but that's if you sell the add-on separately. So, in summary, a starter of $6500 sounds reasonable, and expect to be negotiated.

Edit: How do you feel about taking the extras off the bike and selling them separately? It is more work, but you would likely get more money out of some of the farkles. Just a thought!

OK, I'll be a smart alec too. You're a moron for selling it. Geez, you live in Texas for crying out loud! Can't you ride it year round? I don't have that luxury in Wyoming.

But I think starting around $6500.00 is a good number if you really have too.

FWIW, I bought a '06 with 7K miles on it just a few weeks ago. Excellent condition, zero farkels, and I paid $6,750.00.
Yeah...I'm thinking that TriggerT's is right on the money and yours is about 5k with or without farkles.

Farkles only count if you take them off and sell separate.

You would be better off selling the truck vs. pouring further money into a depreciating asset. Interest rates are so low (0% in many cases), just trade in for a new truck. If new is not an option, there are plenty of clean used trucks out there. But keep the FJR as you'll be sorry later that you let it go for "peanuts".

Show room clean '07 with 4850 miles and a few extras was bought for $7500 last month.

Yes, you are a moron but you are in good company here. It's worth somewhere between what you want and what somebody will pay. Hope this helps. Keep it. :rolleyes:

I know a person that just bought an '06 with 15K miles on it for no more than $5500.00, which is just a crazy insane deal. Between the economy and going into the winter, it is a good time to be buying a FJR, but not so great for selling.

I'm sorry to tell you, your bike is only worth about $5,000 with or without the added farkles. $5500 tops. But if you price it there (or higher) you'll have to sit on it for a long time to find the guy willing to pay that price. There are a limited number of people smart (and savvy) enough to seek out a first gen. Yours has ABS which is why I said maybe $5500 as that is attractive to those same smart and savvy buyers. If you really want to sell it you'd need to price it down to around $4500 or so.

So, yes, you are an moron if you part with such a fine piece of machinery for what it will bring in.

[edit] I just read that you need the $$ for truck repairs. Man that would be a tough one tor me... Sell the truck instead!!

Cycletrader avg is $5833. Mostly dealers so Fred W is prolly right on the money for private sale.

04 FJRs 4sale Cycletrader

Tough time to sell. Wait till it thaws out down there! Sell the topbox, risers and TM (on this forum perhaps) and help your own bottom line.

How do you feel about taking the extras off the bike and selling them separately? It is more work, but you would likely get more money out of some of the farkles. Just a thought!
good point. often when farkles are left on a bike, they add $0.00 to the resale price. if you strip them off and part them out, expect to get about $0.50 on the dollar for good used parts.

My worthless 2 cents is you'll be lucky to get around $5K(ish) for it. The economy is just yucky. If someone offered you $6K I'd take it and run.

BTW - Excellent advice, sell the farkles separately.

Never sell the toys. Its harder to reaquire them and always more expensive. Ive only sold the old dirt bike/ atv / jet ski when it became near impossible to find replacement parts. Granted I never used them as much as the FJR but for the others 8-12 yr old technology it did not justify spending 6-8K or more for the 09-10 models. Can you suffer thru just riding the bike for a while and the better mileage. Good luck Tough decision

Did a quick search here in Oztralia and found four 2004 FJR's for sale at A$13,000 - 14,000.

You should ship it over here ($1,000) have a ride around (all year availability) and then sell it cheap ( to me!)

Win/win situation!

Rob

I had a PERFECT 04 for sale for 14 months and ended up selling her for $5400. Keep the friggin bike.