What's the best all around helmet, audio, blue tooth combination?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryS

Reaction score
Between Nolan NCOM, Audiovox, Shoei and all the trillions of audio, blue tooth systems... what seems to be the best combination??

Just saw the Nolan system at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show. Looked like a nice system, no big contraption stuck on the side of the helmet, just a small bluetooth transceiver. But one downside is that it's not stereo, at least I think that's what the rep was saying - his English wasn't that great and my French was not much better. I would have put the helmet on and tested it but the helmet was several sizes too small for my skull. Helmet was around $430, bluetooth set-up for the rider was around $175, additional set-up to comm with the pillion was around $25.

That's going to be a fast moving target over the next few years because the technology is changing so fast. My advice would be to not invest much in whatever is the "best" system right now because it won't be next year. I use a Scala Rider bluetooth headset because an on-line closeout joint had them for awhile for about 60 bucks (they sold out long ago, which explains no link). The other plus is that it's portable and I can move it when I upgrade to a new helmet next year. It's mono, one speaker, but works very well with my RAZR at highway speeds even when I'm wearing earplugs or in-ear speakers for my MP3 player (and I always have one or the other in). I've read that it pairs well a Zumo (I'll let you know after the thaw).

I'll hold off on a larger investment, though, until stereo bluetooth is widely available for both headsets and players. My MP3 player doesn't have bluetooth anyway and I don't think the Zumo bluetooth is stereo, so why bother now?

YMMV, of course.

Exactly what Squeezer said, buy what Bluetooth you must have right now or none at all. Stereo BT has to be just around the corner.

I have a Samsung Blackjack with the Jabra BT620 stereo headset. It's kind of 'neat' but not ready for prime time. I'm looking to get a Zumo, bluetooth connect it to my phone, then used a wired headset off of the Zumo to talk on the phone. Anyone have that setup?

If I can get that to work, then I can run the Zumo's wired headset mic/speaker leads into an Autocom right?

Nolan claims in their literature that there is currently no stereo MP3 players that have bluetooth. I don't know if that's true, but I have yet to see one.

I really like my Nolan N-102, and getting an N-Com ready helmet will allow you to upgrade if they develop a stereo bluetooth device. But, the existing N-Com set up is damn pricey IMO.

What I'm waiting for is an aftermarket attachment that will allow everything from the Autocomm or Starcomm to be transmitted wirelessly to the helmet. With the N-Com, you still have to have wires for many attachments if I'm reading the literature right.

Finally, regardless of what becomes available, it probably won't do well on a 10 hour day, so would likely only be good for shorter trips with an alternative needed for long trips.

Not bike related but their are some stereo bluetooth headsets with microphones. I use a Motorola HT820 paired with my LG8300 phone which plays stereo MP3s and interrupts the music for an incoming call. The headset/phone combo also has voice dialing capabilities. I've been thinking of taking it apart to see if I could fit it in my helmet.

I plug my XM radio, GPS and whatever else into a Mix-It2 Amp (Mix_it) and then plug a Bluetooth audio gateway (an ebay example of the one I use) into the output. I modified the receiver with an Ipod generation one battery in a Witz case here so it will go about two days on a charge rather than 5.5 hours. I use Etymotic earplugs instead of the cheap buds that came with the unit. Makes a world of difference. Volume is controlled using the Mix-It in my tank bag. Supposedly you can pair your phone up to the receiver at the same time as the transmitter and it will cut out the stereo while phone is in use, but I don't see the mic being in a useful place to use it whill underway.

Jim

My bad, the Ebay link in above post is for Transmitter only. Here's one for the set Globalsat Bluetooth Stereo Gateway

Jim