What's the best tank protection?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGroenke

Reaction score
I want to add tank protection to my recently purchased 03 because I wear riding pants and I've found them to be hard on the tank finish. I've searched all over the internet and can't seem to find many options. I want a tank bra that covers the full back half of the tank. I ordered one from Second Look and they charged my CC and never sent the cover. I guess I shoud have listened to the warnings here on the forum, tomorrow I'll be reversing the charge. I've looked at the Mag-Knight and have never used this type of cover before so I'm a little skeptical. Can anybody suggest a good tank cover or bra? Where do you buy them?

Thanks,

Jeffery

I want to add tank protection to my recently purchased 03 because I wear riding pants and I've found them to be hard on the tank finish. I've searched all over the internet and can't seem to find many options. I want a tank bra that covers the full back half of the tank. I ordered one from Second Look and they charged my CC and never sent the cover. I guess I shoud have listened to the warnings here on the forum, tomorrow I'll be reversing the charge. I've looked at the Mag-Knight and have never used this type of cover before so I'm a little skeptical. Can anybody suggest a good tank cover or bra? Where do you buy them?
Thanks,

Jeffery
I love Tankslapper. It is cheap, easy to install, and the bike looks like nothing is there.

I am on my second magnight and have had excelent results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

Jeffery
I love Tankslapper. It is cheap, easy to install, and the bike looks like nothing is there.
I use the tankslapper on the side of the tank only, and then stick a small magknight protector on the front to keep my belt buckle from painting any grafitti. The tankslapper portion is damn near invisible and does a good job at what your application is. There are other areas that dont work out very well with the product, but the sides of the tank are not one of them. Very easy to apply on this area. heres a pix that shows the transparency of the tankslapper.

bike_seat001.jpg

GreyGoose

Thanks,

Jeffery
I bought some clear adhesive backed polyurethane film from Mcmaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com). It's $9/ft at 6" wide.

I'm cutting it into pieces to cover the high wear areas.

My legs mostly rub against the plastic cover right below the tank, so I completely wrapped that. I also covered the area under my tank bag since that will act like sand paper if any grit gets under it. I sometimes put my body weight on the tank bag so it does move around a little bit.

Thanks,

Jeffery
I have used MagKnight forever but on my '04 it started looking ratty after about 20k miles...delaminating. I put Tankslapper on my '09 and its nearly invisable. The top of the tank is a tad tricky but one learns on the job...the sides of the tank were about 5 mins/side....bliss. And they have nice little covers for the wear points like the frame by the foot pegs.

Bob

My used '07 came with a MagKnight installed. After a short bit of use I noticed dirt was getting between it and tank and beginning to do it's damage. I tossed it and installed the 3M version of the Tankslapper. It comes in 3 sections, one for each side and 3rd for rear of tank. I did an "ok" job of installing it myself. It wasn't until the last piece I felt like I was getting the hang of it, but I'm happy with it.

Thanks,

Jeffery

X2 on Tankslapper. I love mine. Blends in to where it is almost unnoticeable. Seems to protect well.

my .02 on the MagKnight...

I've had one on my '08 for two years. It's starting to tear a little and it's a pain trying to get it lined back up after cleaning. I've actually had it flap in the wind when I had to ride in a stiff cross wind. Like you, I've been looking for an alternative. Can't really recommend the MagKnight.

Guess what? My Second Look tank bra showed up in the mail today. The phone number on their website doesn't work and they didn't answer my Emails but after three weeks it did show up. I bought the silver one to match my 03 and it looks really nice, the quality of construction looks very good. So I'm a happy camper. They included a business card with the shipment that has the same 800 number as the website that doesn't work but it also has a number that I haven't tried but thought others might want to know. The number is 916-331-5665.

In the mean time I ordered a TankSlapper kit in the 3M film which showed up in two days, those guys are fast and very helpful! I'm going to use the panels from the TankSlapper kit on the top under the tank bag and the SL bra on the back.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Jeffery

my .02 on the MagKnight...I've had one on my '08 for two years. It's starting to tear a little and it's a pain trying to get it lined back up after cleaning. I've actually had it flap in the wind when I had to ride in a stiff cross wind. Like you, I've been looking for an alternative. Can't really recommend the MagKnight.
I did get my Second Look tank bra today. If you look at the forum I've posted some more notes.

Jeffery

Before putting on the tank bra, make sure there is NO dirt on your tank. Any grit under the tank bra will turn it into a big piece of sandpaper. I've seen this many time on cars with hood bras. Most people are shocked when they take them off to find the clearcoat and some of the paint missing.

I use the tankslapper on the side of the tank only, and then stick a small magknight protector on the front to keep my belt buckle from painting any grafitti. The tankslapper portion is damn near invisible and does a good job at what your application is. There are other areas that dont work out very well with the product, but the sides of the tank are not one of them. Very easy to apply on this area. heres a pix that shows the transparency of the tankslapper.

bike_seat001.jpg

GreyGoose

GreyGoose - Is that a Corbin seat?