What's Wrong With This Picture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Barnard

Reaction score
I took my seat off to adjust it to the highest position and this is what I found.

FJRSeat003.jpg

Looks like some parts of the bottom of your seat has been chopped off. I've read that some people do this to lower the seat by an additional half inch below the lowest possible seat height. Plus, the black plastic piece is not there as well. Looks like you'll need to order a new seat and the black plastic thing-a-majig if you want to get the standard seat height configuration...

Btw Paul, what's that other bike in the background? Looks pretty sweet.

The other bike is a Suzuki GSX650F set up for sport touring with 3 hard cases and a few other goodies. It is now for sale. It is actually smoother than the FJR and does better in crosswinds. It's an amazingly competent mileage muncher.

Back to the issue of my seat. I wanted a Russell. I don't want to build a Russell on a modded/butchered seat pan though. Unless I am willing to buy a seat just to have it scavenged by Russell or unless I find a used Russell, I'm going to have to go with another seat that doesn't require the stock pan. Sargent? Any ideas from the membership? I figure once I get my new seat, I'll give this one to someone who needs something to put on while Russell builds their seat. A perpetual FJR Forum pay-it-forward kind of deal.

You won't find any other seat comparable to a Russell. If that's what you want then maybe you can find a used seat to use as a donor.

You should be able to find a used seat on this forums classifieds pretty easily if you look in the for sale site, or post up on the wanted site since the stockers are often replaced and put in the basement for eternity. I have one in my basement now, but unsure if I want to off it. Looked on Bike Bandit and the sock seats are about &225 apiece!! Try putting a request in the wanted ads on this site and I bet you get a reply the same day. BTW, I replaced mine with a Sargent with the slip in backrest, and couldn't be happier! Tried a Corbin first..too hard and slippery for me.

The Russell is a custom seat, so I don't see why they can't take the seat you have and build one that will raise you up some. I assuming that's what your after in addition to comfort. Send them an email with the picture and then give them a call and talk to them about it. I'll bet they can deal with it.

Yup, that seat shortening mod has been addressed here on the forum. I'm with Rickcorwn that Russell could probably use that seat pan just fine. I got a Russell this winter and like it very much. It, because of the wider seat, sits you up a little any way, might end up where you need it.

I too have a GSX650F as my other bike, I really only went with the FJR so the wife and I could do two up more comfortably. The GSX650F is a great bike and my son mostly drives it now, but I still enjoy taking it out every now and then.

Btw Paul, what's that other bike in the background? Looks pretty sweet.

The other bike is a Suzuki GSX650F set up for sport touring with 3 hard cases and a few other goodies. It is now for sale. It is actually smoother than the FJR and does better in crosswinds. It's an amazingly competent mileage muncher.

Back to the issue of my seat. I wanted a Russell. I don't want to build a Russell on a modded/butchered seat pan though. Unless I am willing to buy a seat just to have it scavenged by Russell or unless I find a used Russell, I'm going to have to go with another seat that doesn't require the stock pan. Sargent? Any ideas from the membership? I figure once I get my new seat, I'll give this one to someone who needs something to put on while Russell builds their seat. A perpetual FJR Forum pay-it-forward kind of deal.
Talk to Russel before you do anything. I can't see why they would not be able to build your seat height to your exact specs, whether or not the underside has been modified.

I have a spare seat lever assembly the I could send you for the cost of shipping. I bought a second stock seat when I sent to send in for the Russell mod. The seat lever assembly came with it. I don't need it, so it's yours if you'd like.