Wheel bearing replacement interval

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've searched here as well as at FJRTech and FJR1300info. Admittedly I did not spend a lot of time checking. I think my question is simple and those that have experience (or opinion) will chime in.

How often should wheel bearings be replaced?

I ask because I remember that the recommended inteval I used on my Connies was everyother tire change, which now seems excessive to me.

My FJR has 40K+ miles on it and at last tire change, I stuck my finger in the inner races and wiggled it around and couldn't detect any excessive play in the bearings. They fell smooth just like first tire change. Also no abnormal operation noted when balancing the tires, etc.

Is it safe to assume that the bearings may go 100,000 miles? I'm sure it depends on load/speed/environment somewhat, but I'm just looking for other's experiences.

TIA

Russ

Replace when necessary. As in they are starting to go bad.

Though some will go bad early, I think they can last indefinitely.

I've got over 80k on my FJ1200 bearings and still smooth-I always shoot a little grease in each bearing with a syringe each tire change. I have never had a bearing fail on several high mileage bikes that I have owned..However a friends Connie fried one at 40k.

Same story here. I pretty much ignore them; in all my bikes, I've never had to change wheel bearings. Just dumb luck probably.

I had a front bearing go bad on my 97 CBR1100XX at about 35,000 miles. It's still scary thinking about that bad bearing spinning at 170mph. :dribble:

I just check them when changing tires and replace as needed (the Blackbird was the first set I've ever needed).

I had a front wheel bearing go bad on my CBR 1000 F with less than 30 K miles on it......

Since that time I always check and replace bearings if I have any doubts what so ever...

My Concours had almost 60 K miles with the original bears still in it...

I ALWAYS check and lube the bearings when I change the tires..

I just checked my rear wheel bearings when I had the wheel off to service my shaft drive (trying the Krytox grease). At 36,000 miles the grease in there looks like new, as do the bearings. Always a shock to me since I seem to always be doing the bearings on my dirt bike. Don't know if it's right, but I always use marine bearing grease on those. Seems to hold up well and the blue color lets you know when it's brown, it's dirty.

My advice is to check your bearings for crunchiness any time the wheels are off....otherwise, ride on!!

Remember not to blast the bearing area of the wheel at a high pressure car wash. Water can enter the bearing and cause early bearing failure.

Replaced my 05 FJR front wheel bearings at about 18000 miles. Everything felt & sounded OK spinning the front wheel and turning the bearings by hand with the wheel off. They made sounds I didn't like when leaned over in corners but sounded normal going straight. Replaced them and everything returned to normal. Have never replaced a wheel bearing on another bike.

My experience is that a big road defect will induce a bearing change for you, typically long before the bearing would wear out under "normal" use. Like others have said, check them often, change them when needed.

I wash the bike frequently. Wheel bearing life has a lot to do with seal condition and care. If you keep the goop and grit away from the seals, without overdoing it with the pressure washer, then the bearings will probably last a very long time. (dirt bikes obviously excluded)

I have two sets of FJR wheels with about 35,000 miles on each. Bearings are still good.

My best advice is buy a set of wheel bearings & seals to have in-stock. That way you'll never need them.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just changed mine at 40K. No problems, just piece of mind. That's worth the $15 ea to me.

In terms of maintenance and packing I try to be proactive on the items that can leave me by the side of the road. I don't carry spare light bulbs, who cares, but fuses, and a tire repair kit could be a show stopper.

How often should wheel bearings be replaced?
I don't think MamaYama sets a replacement miles/time interval?

I ask because I remember that the recommended inteval I used on my Connies was everyother tire change,
That, surely, wasn't a Kawasaki recco....? :unsure:

Is it safe to assume that the bearings may go 100,000 miles? I'm sure it depends on load/speed/environment somewhat,
Yes, exactly -- especially, if the bearing selection (by the engineer) is the proper size/design/etc. for the task.

but I'm just looking for other's experiences.
Well, years ago I stopped-by the local, long-time, Harley dealer on my way out on an extended tour with my new Honda (I don't remember why....ask something -- look at something?). Anyway, the dealer-principle came over to talk and asked. "How often do you clean & lube, service, change the wheel bearings?" I answered, "I don't intend to unless it's necessary." (Not an H-D approved answer -- I'm sure...?) :unsure:

In a life-time of riding I've only had one wheel bearing fail (get loose) on-the-road -- and that was on an old (antique) BMW I was touring on. It was a tapered roller (Timken) style front wheel bearing -- and I didn't fix it till I got where I was going.

An, important, caveat to wheel bearing rplacement is: the bearing outer-race is an interference fit in the hub (usually, now, aluminum). This is generally a machine-shop operation -- where heat and a press are involved. Many are the instances where the hub I.D. is "broached" (when attempted 'in-the-field', without proper equipment) -- thus rendering the wheel (essentially) junk....!

You're welcome.

So... how does one grease an in-situ wheel bearing?
If they're not factory-sealed bearings -- just add a small amount of grease. If they are factory-sealed, then a small grease-needle (at auto-parts stores) attatched to your grease gun will do-the-job.

I think that many of the ball bearing wheel bearing applications are (now) designed "for life" (whatever that means....?).

The reality is: (given satisfactory design and component selection) motorcycle wheel bearings are relatively lightly loaded (mainly due to a relatively slow rotational speed). I'd guess that the most common problem would be contamination by foreign material to the bearing?

If they're clean and lubed (and a ball bearing doesn't need much -- remember, they're often called, industry-wise, 'friction-less bearings') -- they'll go round-and-round for a very long time.

So... how does one grease an in-situ wheel bearing?
If they're not factory-sealed bearings -- just add a small amount of grease. If they are factory-sealed, then a small grease-needle (at auto-parts stores) attatched to your grease gun will do-the-job.

I think that many of the ball bearing wheel bearing applications are (now) designed "for life" (whatever that means....?).

The reality is: (given satisfactory design and component selection) motorcycle wheel bearings are relatively lightly loaded (mainly due to a relatively slow rotational speed). I'd guess that the most common problem would be contamination by foreign material to the bearing?

If they're clean and lubed (and a ball bearing doesn't need much -- remember, they're often called, industry-wise, 'friction-less bearings') -- they'll go round-and-round for a very long time.
IIRC, these bearings have a rubber dust seal - so just gently 'lift' one edge of the seal with the needle then squeeze away?

IIRC, these bearings have a rubber dust seal - so just gently 'lift' one edge of the seal with the needle then squeeze away?
Yep...

Just be careful not to introduce any contaminants (....first, do no harm...).

And, they don't need much (if any?) -- remember, they're supposed to be 'greased-for-life'.

Replaced my 05 FJR front wheel bearings at about 18000 miles. Everything felt & sounded OK spinning the front wheel and turning the bearings by hand with the wheel off. They made sounds I didn't like when leaned over in corners but sounded normal going straight. Replaced them and everything returned to normal. Have never replaced a wheel bearing on another bike.
Hmmm... (sound of gears turning in my head)

You didn't happen to replace that wheel bearing at the same time that you changed the front tire, did you jstewart? I'm just wondering, because I have had tires that made a whiney, growling sound when the bike was leaned over that could have been mistaken for a bearing. In fact, I can't come up with a good theory why a bearing would make more noise with the bike leaned over. The load on the bearing is pretty close to the same, whether the bike is cornering or going straight. The centrifugal force still maintains the load pretty much radially to the bearing.