Wheel Wax Detailing on New FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasportrider

gasportrider
Reaction score
Hi All,

I picked up my '08 today and enjoyed my first ride of about 50 miles in the high 60's here in Georgia.

I couldn't be more pleased with my first riding impressions. This is one super motorcycle.

I'm going to try something on the FJR that has worked beautifully with my Acura wheels and that is applying "Wheel Wax" to the wheels and all of the silver painted metal parts of the bike that will be exposed to road grime. The product claims to develop a difference in surface polarity and an improved smoothness of the surfaces that help to resist brake dust and other roadway contaminants.

On the car, the wheels stay clean longer and are much easier to clean. I have applied the Wheel Wax to all the undercarriage metal I can find and am confident that it will have a beneficial result.

I recommend this product based on my personal experience. Details on this product are available at: www.wheelwax.com .

Tomorrow brings an opportunity to apply the full kit of protective film from www.thetankslapper.biz.

With these two efforts, this black motorcycle should stay looking sharp for a long time.

I know it is going to be a Keeper!

Congrats on the new ride Mike! Don't wax that thing too much, just ride it!! :rolleyes:

JW

Remember, too clean is gay.

(From the guy who has been known to polish the insides of the outlet pipes of his Dale Walker cans! Thweet!)

Perhaps some slider protection before the cosmetic protection?!?
-BD
BrunDog,

I've got the sliders on hand in the box and ready to go on. I wholeheartedly agree that this is Farkle # 1 for all FJR's.

After I get the Tankslapper film on the bike, the next step will be to pull all the side panels and install 4 wiring harnesses and a Centech AP-2 fuse panel that I bought from www.easternbeaver.com .

I've prewired for every farkle I can think of. My first add ons will be wiring my Valentine, Zumo, and StarCom Digital along with supplying my RKA bag with plenty of charging power. I've got a circuit set up for grip warmers; but will probably wait until next fall to add that farkle. I've just sent my Gerbing jacket back to be rewired for a dual heat controller so I can separately control heat to my gloves. I'm hoping that will be a big improvement. I hope to use my existing heat controller as the temp controller for the heated grip project.

Not only is this bike fun to ride, it's fun to work on, too.

Thanks for your suggestion and I welcome all others to make this great bike even better.

Congrats on the new ride Mike! Don't wax that thing too much, just ride it!! :rolleyes:
JW
jwilly,

I'm looking forward to the kickoff of our Georgia FJR Rider Group and our first group outing.

BTW, we need a catch name!

It will be great fun to hear a pack of FJR's gggGGGGRRRRROOOOOWWWWWLLLLLLLL together while launching off some twisty turns.

Look for my posting soon on a March 9 ride to Cashiers for BBQ for the HSTA. All FJR folks will be invited. We'll have a rain date of March 16.

I look forward to riding with you soon!

Congrats on the new ride. Know the 1400 miles I put on my FJR in the first 3 weeks have been pure bliss.

Check the head nut. Mine was loose from the dealership. 85 ft lbs is the torque. I also put a torque stripe on there in case it gets the idea to move again.

Many happy miles to you. Remember to wait up for your fellow riders that aren't as blessed as you to have such a machine.

Ooooohweee!!! Congrats!!! It's just too bad that it's gonna rain cats and dogs today ..... :(

Can't wait to get out and ride with you real soon!!! (we'll get that thing nice and dirty!)

John

PS - went up to Dale's yesterday and the place was packed! You shoulda taken its maiden voyage up 60!

Congrats on the new ride. Know the 1400 miles I put on my FJR in the first 3 weeks have been pure bliss.
Check the head nut. Mine was loose from the dealership. 85 ft lbs is the torque. I also put a torque stripe on there in case it gets the idea to move again.

Many happy miles to you. Remember to wait up for your fellow riders that aren't as blessed as you to have such a machine.
MojaveFJR,

Thanks for the tip on the head nut. I'll be making the rounds of the pawn shops looking for a heavier duty torque wrench. My current one only goes to 72 foot pounds. I plan to check that torque spec at the 600 mile service and will also take down the drive shaft assembly to be sure it is properly lubed. Good luck with your new scoot. I bought a factory service manual and plan to make good use of it. It turns out I knew squat about doing anything mechanical until I bought a service manual for my very first FJ1100. Since then, I've done all my own work except for having forks rebuilt.

I hope you'll enjoy your motorcycle as much as I plan to enjoy mine. I've already got 3 rallies and 3 AMA races planned as trips. Let's Ride!

John
PS - went up to Dale's yesterday and the place was packed! You shoulda taken its maiden voyage up 60!
I seriously thought about it; but didn't want to get the bike dirty before applying my Wheel Wax treatment. I'll try to get it out for a middle of the week run with some more 60 degree temps.

I'm not surprised at the large turnout at Dales / TWO in Suches. It was a beautiful day in advance of forecasted storms for today.

I might give you a shout if I need engineering help with my wiring harness farkling.

Ciao,

Mike,

Congrats on your "Brand new lover", is that a song? Lets get together to do a riding up 60 or that neck of the woods. I got new tires waiting for good weather, good friends, and good rides...

Mike,
Congrats on your "Brand new lover", is that a song? Lets get together to do a riding up 60 or that neck of the woods. I got new tires waiting for good weather, good friends, and good rides...

Nelson,

Let me know when you can get away for N GA loop. I'll be watching the weather and hope you will too. I don't know about the bike being a lover, I haven't found anything about that blows yet!

Congradulations, Mike.
We need to get a group of FJR riders together and ride soon.
Mike,

Yo, I agree. I tweaked JWilly this morning about getting going on the project for our Ga FJR Riding Group.

I'm working on an HSTA ride for March 9 with a rain date of March 16 up to Cashiers, NC for BBQ. We'll do the route up by Helen on GA356, then the road to Tiger, Warwoman Rd, GA / SC 28 and SC 107. There are even a few waterfalls to see in the deal! BTW, the BBQ restaurant is great!

I hope to get the announcement out in the coming week just as soon as I can make arrangements for a breakfast restaurant for our initial meeting.

I'm looking forward to some rides really soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I don't know about the bike being a lover, I haven't found anything about that blows yet!
The Lincoln Mistress knows Love!!!
HaaAAAAAAAAAAGH! :lol:

That's just wrong!!!!

But very funny!!! :p

Dooh! my mind just pictured some of you guys in the garage with your FJR's.

My wife wants to know it it is cheaper than gas. :rolleyes:
That is a VERY FUNNY Video, John. Thanks for sharing.

I know some guys who are very seriously tempted by their Ducati motorcycles. Then, in a moment of passionate indecision, they walk away in frustration, not having known which hole to choose. Now had they been jailbird Harley bikers, they would be smiling joyfully, having enjoyed both holes.

As to being cheaper than gas, certainly not, you must pay to play.