Where can I get an inexpensive torque wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right out of the Metrology Hand Book, Torque = force x distance from center of rotation.

It is not worth it to me to try to make one.

I would use an inch lb torque wrench. 8 foot lbs = 96 in lbs. 9 ft lbs = 108 in lbs. 10 ft lbs = 120 ft lbs.

It should be good enough.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on why buy a cheap one. You might as well "guesstimate" with an open-end wrench in some cases. I have Snap-On in both foot lbs and inch lbs and have never regretted the cost in the past 15 years. I have had the calibration checked every couple of years, and they were within specs.

Here is some info about torque wrenches.

torque wrench

It may have more info than anyone cares to know.

Then again how many people store their torque wrenches on the lowest setting. Click type

If anyone is worried about torque accuracy, and wants one with more than 4% of value, you may want to look at one of these.

CDI

Like I said I have a really good one that I compare my cheap ones to.

Then again, do all here know that there is a different torque table for using dry bolts, vs oiled. I am sure the Mechanics know.

"I first used the word nuts instead of bolts and it became a whole different question."

Bob