Where to find switched power for GPS on Gen III?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

I simply tapped into the power plug going to the glove box. It's switched and good for about 3A, plenty for my GPS.

Gary

I used the accessory socket. Built an adapter to dual SAE connectors. Poked a hole in the rubber drain bladder at the bottom f the accessory compartment and ran the thing up to the handlebars. This circuit has a 3 amp limit, but that's plenty to power my GPS and a voltmeter that I used it for.

Maybe switched power for a radar detector but not for a GPS. A GPS won't draw enough power to drain the battery. Plus it is very handly to use the GPS when stopped without the motor running. Of course if you turn the key on to power up the GPS and then forget it being on..... you could SOL .........only a suggestion

I tapped into the Tag Light wire, that wire has easy access just by removing the left side panel.

Maybe switched power for a radar detector but not for a GPS. A GPS won't draw enough power to drain the battery. Plus it is very handly to use the GPS when stopped without the motor running. Of course if you turn the key on to power up the GPS and then forget it being on..... you could SOL .........only a suggestion
^^This^^. I chose to not use switched power for the gps for this reason. Using it powered when the key is off is a big part of having it to me. And from my personal experience: a gps left on on the bike for 3 days had no effect when next starting the next time.

Additionally, my original intent was to use the same socket for other things, and I still can but never have. Things like an air compressor and a battery tender can be used on my bike without the key being on.

Latest posts