Where to mount Cig socket around handlebars or dash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggot

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations/ideas/pics. I want to mount a 2nd cig socket to run gps and the plan is to have it hot from the battery.

I'm thinking flush mount in the upper black plastic panel between battery and gauges.

Here's a much better idea for just $14

PKT-076.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I have a similar 12v socket to mount, but my stock heated grip control is in that location. The opposite side would be nice but the battery is in the way.

Not sure why yamaha didn't put the battery under the seat. But that's another discussion.

The panel I mentioned in my 1st post is not doable either.

I want to mount a 2nd cig socket to run gps and the plan is to have it hot from the battery.
If you're running it hot from the battery why would you run it through a cigarette lighter and add another possible point of failure? I run the GPS straight to my battery (with a dedicated power cable I bought) and don't worry about cigarette or Powerlet. I leave that spare cable for use in my car or other vehicle.

Thanks, I have a similar 12v socket to mount, but my stock heated grip control is in that location. The opposite side would be nice but the battery is in the way. Not sure why yamaha didn't put the battery under the seat. But that's another discussion. The panel I mentioned in my 1st post is not doable either.
I have the 1st gen version of the Powerlet kit (also available cheaply at the same link I posted previously). It puts the powerlet on the right side in the "D" panel to the rear of the battery.

I'm not sure if there is a reason why you can't put one in that location on a 2nd gen, maybe there is something under the "D" panel on 2nd gens, but I bet you could find someplace else to drill the hole and mount the powerlet using that same kit. Maybe in the painted right side faring panel outboard of the battery?

I want to mount a 2nd cig socket to run gps and the plan is to have it hot from the battery.
If you're running it hot from the battery why would you run it through a cigarette lighter and add another possible point of failure? I run the GPS straight to my battery (with a dedicated power cable I bought) and don't worry about cigarette or Powerlet. I leave that spare cable for use in my car or other vehicle.
The socket will have a few different uses and the gps is a nuvi that I also use in the car. This is the first bike i've owned that don't have traditional handlebars where I used to mount this stuff.

Thanks, I have a similar 12v socket to mount, but my stock heated grip control is in that location. The opposite side would be nice but the battery is in the way. Not sure why yamaha didn't put the battery under the seat. But that's another discussion. The panel I mentioned in my 1st post is not doable either.
I have the 1st gen version of the Powerlet kit (also available cheaply at the same link I posted previously). It puts the powerlet on the right side in the "D" panel to the rear of the battery.

I'm not sure if there is a reason why you can't put one in that location on a 2nd gen, maybe there is something under the "D" panel on 2nd gens, but I bet you could find someplace else to drill the hole and mount the powerlet using that same kit. Maybe in the painted right side faring panel outboard of the battery?
There's an area on the painted right dash next to the tank, aft of the battery. Looks to be enough room to work with about the diameter of the fork tube.

Looks to be enough room to work with about the diameter of the fork tube.
There is room there but it's tight. I put a usb port there. I drilled a small hole first and then put a screw driver through to make sure that I had enough room under the plastic.
There's enough room, but the more I look at it, the more I dislike that location. It leaves the plug in the elements as well.

A good location is next to the ignition switch immediately to the right. I have risers so the metal cable ties are removed. There's room for a small bracket and I can make it flush with the ignition switch so it'll look good. This will keep water intrusion to a minimum.

More to follow, keep the suggestings coming. I'm off work till monday and its -30 still.

I mounted my Powerlet socket for powering my nuvi gps at the gps. It's wired directly to the battery with large enough wires and an in-line fuse so I can run an under-seat air compressor no problem.

DSCN1241.jpg

You state in your opening post, you want to power a gps. If that is your objective simply buy a Garmin pigtail power line with inline fuse. Run it direct to the battery and route it to whatever location you decide to mount your gps bracket. That is what I did and it works just fine.

i mount on the battery cover. its tight fit but works.