Where to start?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon51

Reaction score
Picked up a brand new 2008 FJR1300A.... now what?

I only have 50 miles on it, only owned it 4 hours.

Here's what I know... the bend of the stock bars come back a little to much. But I haven't even looked at moving them.

Suspension seems a little to soft, but I haven't messed with any adjustments.

Fueling seems to be abrupt from full off to on.

Damn, I can't even hear the motor on this thing. I'm no fan of making noise, but this silence is just to strange.

I'm thinking, power commander, slip-on, high flow air filter may be first on the list. But I have to get the suspension sorted and something needs to be done about bar angle.

I love the bike, it's got a ton of potential, need to get it changed for a bike built for everyman comfort on the showroom floor to a mile munching, peg scraping, triple digit sight seeing wounder machine built just for me.

I only have 50 miles on it, only owned it 4 hours.

Here's what I know... the bend of the stock bars come back a little to much. But I haven't even looked at moving them.

Suspension seems a little to soft, but I haven't messed with any adjustments.

Fueling seems to be abrupt from full off to on.

Damn, I can't even hear the motor on this thing. I'm no fan of making noise, but this silence is just to strange.

I'm thinking, power commander, slip-on, high flow air filter may be first on the list. But I have to get the suspension sorted and something needs to be done about bar angle.

I love the bike, it's got a ton of potential, need to get it changed for a bike built for everyman comfort on the showroom floor to a mile munching, peg scraping, triple digit sight seeing wounder machine built just for me.
Congrats...So, where did it come from (surely not Petes)?

You've now owned it for 5.5 hours. Give it a little time. I've had my 05 for about 30 days and I'm still sorting ergonomics and farkles. It's looking like a long-term project, which is probably a good thing for me. I change bikes like some folks change underwear.

I'd probably start with the suspension and bars. Make it comfortable first, toys later.

But seriously, lets hear about the deal? Where'd ya go, how was the experience, if you were treated right, I'd wanna know, maybe you've got a dealer I can do business with too.

Barry

Good for you Deacon. Take some time to get used to the new ride...and then farkle away. The suspension does come from the dealers a little soft, tighten up the dampening a touch and you'll be much happier.

Have fun with the new scoot!

--G

Frame sliders. Sorry, had to throw it out. I put them on shortly after I got my '08. Not more than a couple weeks later and a little off balance while taking her off the center stand, and she's laying on her starboard side. If it wasn't for the sliders, she would have sustained more than just a few little scratches on the bag. Boy, was I ever thankful for the info this forum.

Congrats on the new bike.

I've only had my 09 a week and a half but have already put 1100 or so miles on it. I adjusted the bars to the closest position and found that it helped my ergo's quite a bit. The trick when adjusting the bars forward and back is to do both sides at the same time. The bolts that come up through the bars are attached to the wire cage under the triple tree clamp and are hard to move unless both bars are off. When they are both off though, the whole setup moves easily.

There is a post on here somewhere, where someone took out one of the pins on the bottom of the bars so that they could adjust the angle to their liking. I'm sure a search will turn it up. If the forum search bar doesn't find it, use google and add "site:fjrforum.com" to your search so that you only get results from this forum.

Have fun with the new bike. I'm really enjoying mine.

Handlebar adjustment (forward and back)

Clicky

Handlebar angle adjustment

Clicky

Both are linked from the 06-09 Bin-O-Facts. There is a lot of good information in that post. I suggest looking through it Here

Congrats on getting the new ride!

It has 125 hp (about) at the wheel and you want a Power Commander first? :p B)

Move the bars a bit to see where you like them, maybe unwind the throttle return spring (Google it for plenty of old threads & how to), and play around with the suspension. Tipover guards were one of my first buys. Then see what you think after a few weeks, because your priorities will change. Keep the tire pressures up or you'll hate life after your last bike when you get to some twisty roads. If you really want to spend money for something nice that won't be at such a good price forever, there is a group buy right now for RaceTech suspension.

Miles are not the only thing this will eat when you get seriou$$$ farkling fever.

Congrats on getting the new ride!
Miles are not the only thing this will eat when you get seriou$$$ farkling fever.
AMEN!! Imagine the $$$ in Radman's list of farkles.

FendaExtenda

Progressive fork springs

VStrom Handguards

D&D Risers

BMW Sport Grips

TopGun Bar Ends

VistaCruise

CeeBaily +4+4 Std Contour Light Smoke Tint Wind Shield

CeeBaily Headlight Guards

Hella FF50 Driving Lights

Garauld Brackets

GSG-Moto Framesliders

Baker Built Air Deflectors

Bill Riley HiWay Peg mounts

Kuryakin Folding Highway Pegs

Dynojet Power Commander III USB with Custom Map

UNI Oiled Foam Air Filter

Muzzy header and muffler

Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control

Garauld Padded Passenger Backrest

Wilbers 640 Classic Shock and Spring

Cycle Gadgets TechMount Stem Stand

Mix-It2

AllBalls Roller Neck Bearings

Stainless Speed Bleeders-Brakes and Clutch

Warm n Safe HeatTroller

Jastek Powerlet

Skyway Detector Mount

Russell Daylong Seat (heavy suspension)

Alex’s Reflective Bag Decals

Electrosport High Output Stator

Bike Effects 90 deg Tire Valves

Superbrace Polished Fork Brace

R-1 Shift arm

Cox Radiator Guard

Brodie wiring (accessory lead) relay harness

Silverstar H4 headlight bulbs

FZ-1 Fuzeblock

WynPro P.A.I.R covers (not yet installed

+1 on the sliders. You could try a TBS to see if that smoothes out the throttle responce. Some have said they're off when new. If your clutch engagement is too close to the grip, there's a fix for that. Mine was. 06's had really stiff return springs, not sure about yours, but you can unwind the spring one turn to lighten it up. Definately read the Bin-o-facts, lots of good info there. Congrats and enjoy!

I went 2 years before I got anything but a louder horn. Did 25k in those two years. I adjusted to the bike.

This is generally really good advice. Things that bother you may bother you because they are different from what you are used to, but that doesn't mean you can't get used to something else. The only thing I generally change a bike is the seat, and even there, you may get used to things without spending a fortune. I've only recently discovered that, by moving my butt about half an inch laterally, and about 5 degrees ccw, I can totally eliminate hip pains that I been aggravated by on the FJR for nearly two years.

Farkels may be fun, but you rarely recover the investment if you sell them with the bike later.

Thanks for the tips. And no fear, this isn't my first time. Nothing with be changed right away. I have 100 miles on the bike now and the clutch has already noticeably better. Breaks are feeling better too. The bend in the bars on the other hand is bothering me even more. Causing pain at the base of my thumb on the throttle hand. I just stopped and got a cramp buster (Use one on my FZ for the last several years), hope it helps.

Now for the good. It was 39 deg when I left for work this morning. The ability to get out of the wind was great. I stayed nice and warm. And then this afternoon, when it was 75 deg, I stuffed my heavy gloves and jacket liner in the saddle bag and took a nice long home without being hot. Perfect.

I have a 300 mile loop planed for Saturday, it will be the first time on a real two up ride. Just a test run. We will go from there.

My, my, and from a Deacon too.

For the suspension, do a search for the suspension thread by Haulin Ashe. Start with those numbers and adjust for what you need. Eventually, move to an aftermarket spring and valve kit. It took me two years to get that done, but its a different bike now.

Eventhough this is not your first bike, give it some miles before you change anything. Mine made me sore for the first few rides too. I just had to get different muscles conditioned to the riding position. Nothing about my ergos is different from the way the bike was built (except I added highway pegs) and I can do long days on the bike. If after time, you're still miserable, your wallet will hate you.

Okay, to many options...

I have ordered the Sargent seat (Love the one on my FZ1) and I'm checking out frame sliders. Leaning towards the CSG-Moto from twisted-Throttle, but maybe the motovation sliders would be better? I managed to get my Zumo 660 installed and I'm still waiting on Yamaha OEM Heated grips, touring windshield and top-case.

Last edited by a moderator: