Which Bridgestone BT-020's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Looking to buy a spare/replacement BT-020 for the rear. Once I wear out the first, I want to put the same one on the back, then I'll replace the front and back together and probably switch brands.

Looking at the fitment guide on the Bridgestone website, it lists all the OEM usage and a bunch of codes.

For each tire, there is a different "Article Number", size (obviously), rim size, tire description, OE code, load rating, speed rating, O/A diameter, tread width, tread depth, approved rim, max load, max psi, and OE use.

Now, when I go to buy a tire, what am I looking to match? Tire size, tire description, load rating, and speed rating, of course. Am I even trying to match the OE code?

Help appreciated, and please refrain from any jokes related to low mileage. I'm serious here.

-BD

A little premature worrying about this now, don't ya think? Heck, they prolly won't even have the same model numbers in the year 2026, when your tires finally get worn out. :D

No, really. The only tire that I have heard of that used the same model but had different specs for different bikes was the Pirelli. I do know that on some of the manufacturers, you can go to their website and you are able to select the tire by specifying the bike. This way, you get the correct tire as recommended by the tire manufacturer for you FJR. As for the BT-020, I don't think there is a 'different' one. The correct size is the correct tire. (ex: 180-55ZR-17 includes all the info on size and specs)

Last edited by a moderator:
The OEM tire includes an 'N' suffix (BT020R-N) and is part# 000978. This tire has an extra nylon ply in each sidewall and tread.

The generic tire has a 'U' suffix and is part# 146540. It's a bit less rigid with its fewer nylon plies.

The tread of the 'U' tire is deeper. I measured 7.6/32 inches of tread on the 'U' and only 6/32 inches on the 'N'.

That equates to (7.6 - 1) / (6 - 1) = 32 % more tread.

As expected the 'U' lasts longer. On my OEM 'N' I got 7K miles. On my replacement 'N' I got 8.8K miles. On my 'U' I got 11.9K miles.

Maybe I learned how to conserve a rear tire. But the mileage of the 'U' is definitely better.

I'm not an aggressive rider. For my riding style I can't detect any difference between the two tires except for the increased mileage.

Well, that means you can disregard my post above. Except the part about the year 2026.

From the manual;

Front: size 120/70 ZR17M/C (58W) Bridgestone/BT020F

Rear: size 180/55 ZR17M/C (73W) Bridgestone/BT020R

Both tubeless

I see your is an "05, this is from the "06 manual

Probably the same size and width

The OEM tire includes an 'N' suffix (BT020R-N) and is part# 000978. This tire has an extra nylon ply in each sidewall and tread.
The generic tire has a 'U' suffix and is part# 146540. It's a bit less rigid with its fewer nylon plies.

The tread of the 'U' tire is deeper. I measured 7.6/32 inches of tread on the 'U' and only 6/32 inches on the 'N'.

That equates to (7.6 - 1) / (6 - 1) = 32 % more tread.

As expected the 'U' lasts longer. On my OEM 'N' I got 7K miles. On my replacement 'N' I got 8.8K miles. On my 'U' I got 11.9K miles.

Maybe I learned how to conserve a rear tire. But the mileage of the 'U' is definitely better.

I'm not an aggressive rider. For my riding style I can't detect any difference between the two tires except for the increased mileage.
How do you buy the 'N' tire? Do you have the shop order it by part number?

-BD

Hey BD.. maybe call FJRGoodies? I'm sure they could answer your last question, regardless if you purchase from them...

Looking to buy a spare/replacement BT-020 for the rear. Once I wear out the first, I want to put the same one on the back, then I'll replace the front and back together and probably switch brands.
Looking at the fitment guide on the Bridgestone website, it lists all the OEM usage and a bunch of codes.

For each tire, there is a different "Article Number", size (obviously), rim size, tire description, OE code, load rating, speed rating, O/A diameter, tread width, tread depth, approved rim, max load, max psi, and OE use.

Now, when I go to buy a tire, what am I looking to match? Tire size, tire description, load rating, and speed rating, of course. Am I even trying to match the OE code?

Help appreciated, and please refrain from any jokes related to low mileage. I'm serious here.

-BD
I did this on mine, but wish I hadn't. I expected the front to go about twice the mileage the rear did, and I did like the rear BT 020, even if it was bald and needing replacement at 5000 miles. Unlike most other tires, though, the front only went another 1000 before it needed replacing, since the cupping got too extreme and started to generate a slight shudder. So, with about 6500 miles on it, I put a Michelin Pilot Road on the front. If I had it to do over again, I'd have replaced the rear with a Pilot Road at the first tire change and would have held the matching front Pilot Road off until the cupping on the BT 020 got bad.

I replaced both though the front still had tread, but was cupped pretty good. Tire matching is poo-poo'd by some, but I believe in it. Went to Avons and never been sorry.

I did this on mine, but wish I hadn't. I expected the front to go about twice the mileage the rear did, and I did like the rear BT 020, even if it was bald and needing replacement at 5000 miles. Unlike most other tires, though, the front only went another 1000 before it needed replacing, since the cupping got too extreme and started to generate a slight shudder. So, with about 6500 miles on it, I put a Michelin Pilot Road on the front. If I had it to do over again, I'd have replaced the rear with a Pilot Road at the first tire change and would have held the matching front Pilot Road off until the cupping on the BT 020 got bad.

I replaced both though the front still had tread, but was cupped pretty good. Tire matching is poo-poo'd by some, but I believe in it. Went to Avons and never been sorry.
You guys do realize of course, that your posts are going to relegate my thread to the "pointless" pile, don't you?

-BD

I replaced my front Avon with a Pilot road and left the rear Avon in place. I couldn't tell the difference, except the low speed wobble was gone. In the turns the mixed tires felt the same.