Which Headlight Moduator?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratchman

Reaction score
Anyone have any advice concerning which headlight modulator works best on the '05? I have neglected farkling up my ride and it's time.

If you search the forum for modulator, there have been several threads within the last month or so.

There are two that I know of, Kisan and Comagination. Kisan looks a little bit better made (daylight sensor is replaceable, for example) and has been around for quite a while, but the Comagination is (almost) half the price.

After much thought, I went with the Kisan, but either probably will work fine.

Gotte give the thumbs up to Kisan. Great customer support and always helpful when you talk to them for any reason at all. Had their products on the past 2 bikes and tens of thousands of miles (hundreds of...) and never a bobble.

Comagination is taking a lickin' and still tickin'. I use it sparingly.

I go the comagination (I think I may have been the first on here to order one, but FJRocket got his delivered earlier :) )

I use it all the time - only turn it off if I'm directly behind someone, and I'm really pleased with it. It is a little clunky looking, but the install was super-easy.

fjr183 has it right. This is my setup. The diamond star is the best, and most feature rich. Don't be intimidated by the wiring, it is easy.

It has also saved my butt a few times. Buy it.

I mentioned I was a member of an FJR Forum and Kisan gave me 10% off. Ian, Iowa

Well I think its time for me to get one of these. Last night I set a personal record........... 4 cagers tried to murder me on my 9 mile commute home. I had one turn infront of me and stop, I got on the Fwy and a pickup changed lanes into me (My horns woke him up), then a BMW SUV cut infront of me (Had to hit the binders) then once I got off the Fwy I had a Honda-Car turn in front of me and stop!

[SIZE=14pt]"...4 cagers tried to murder me on my 9 mile commute home." [/SIZE]

I have to say that having seen bikes coming at me with a modulator operating, I am convinced all bikes should have them. Especially since the greatest cause of mc accidents is drivers turning left in front of a bike. It's difficult to miss a high beam flashing in your face. If they see that and still turn in front of you, they are just out to get you! Anyway guys, I appreciate all the input on choosing one of these modulators. Guess what I take away from all this is that it mostly matters that you have one...not so much which one it is.

Thanks again for the advice...this forum thing is cool.

SignalDynamics.com for headlight and tail light modulators.
Headlight module:  Diamond-Star

Taillight module:  BackOff
Alright, I bought it and it finally got here after 2 week delay because of the Hurricane of the Week. So...fellas...where did you put the toggle switch on your bikes? :confused:

On the inside left of the fork opening, on the A panel, facing the forks. In reach when necessary, and not visible at the same time.

dgfella

PS - You won't regret this purchase!

I called Signal Dynamics to ask them to send me the installation (wiring)instructions. There were none included in the packaging. I couldn't find instructions online, so I asked them to fax the instructions to me. They faxed a letter announcing that they were going to be sending kits upon request to put their modulator in compliance with federal vehicle safety standards and you can have an authorized dealer install it for you if you like. Turns out the "heads up" (headlight flashes when you touch off the horn) and "nova mode" (flashes at 480 cycles per minute) features need to be disabled in order for the device to be compliant with the federal code that makes headlight modulators legal. The letter dated September 13, 2005 announces a voluntary recall "of all 01010 & 01012 headlight modulators sold since January 1, 2001." So now you have a modulator that just modulates at one rate and has a mounted switch to turn it on/off.

OK, now that I've had my lithium, I realize that I have a model #1014 and which should be unaffected by the recall. Apologies to Signal Dynamics.

Last edited by a moderator: