Which Ram Mount holder for Samsung Galaxy phone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajaleo

Reaction score
I'd like to mount this phone on my bike, but it's not clear which mount is the right one. Has anyone mounted up this phone on their bike? The phone is a Samsung SCH I405, but I think it's the same as a Galaxy.

I've been using this with my android "charge" phone. It holds it totally secure, even at speed with or without bumpy roads.

Ram Mount Universal X-Grip

ramholun7biu2b.jpg

I have it attached to an "I've got balls" ram mount, that attaches to the front tank bolts. A Forum member makes these posts.

IMG_1956.jpg

So the X-Grip has a ball on the back, and the post has a ball on top. Then you need the piece that connects them that I ordered with the X-grip.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the Ram X-Grip mount

I use this same one for my Droid Bionic. Really marvelous concept and a vast improvement over Ram's prior generation of rigid mounts that I have used. In my case, since my Techmount and Zumo are mounted between the handlebars, I purchased a Ram ball for the unused mirror mount on the left side.

I've also got the X-Grip and a micro USB charge cable for my DROID RAZR. It's very solid and easy to put the phone in and remove it. With the RAM mount, I've been able to adjust the whole setup to use the video camera on my phone to get some riding videos.

I have a question though for everyone with the smart phones. What advantages do you see with having the phone mounted in the cockpit v in the tankbag, since you can't operate it with gloves on? I have the bluetooth going through my Zumo into my Scala Rider 4 headset in the helmet, so I could still receive calls if it were in the tank bag. I've found the display difficult to see in the daytime. I thought it might be cool to see the weather reports or radar as I traveled, and it can be used as backup navigation I guess, but just curious what others think.

No problem for me to use my Droid while riding. I use a capacitive stylus with velcro wrapped around it and simply stick the stylus onto easy to get to spots on the bike. I have matching velcro on the tank bag and on the left rear side of my Garmin. The stylus works fine with my gloves, both perforated leather and mesh.

No problem for me to use my Droid while riding. I use a capacitive stylus with velcro wrapped around it and simply stick the stylus onto easy to get to spots on the bike. I have matching velcro on the tank bag and on the left rear side of my Garmin. The stylus works fine with my gloves, both perforated leather and mesh.
Ok now that is pure genius, thanks for that tip. I actually have one of those styluseseses (styli?), can't believe I never thought of this. Thanks FB1!

Galaxy S, S2, S3 :D ???

Yea, the x grip seems the way to go, especially if you have a case at all. It's what I'm presently looking at. Plus, if you buy a new phone, it should work as well, no need to keep buying cradles.

Ok now that is pure genius, thanks for that tip. I actually have one of those styluseseses (styli?), can't believe I never thought of this. Thanks FB1!
Doesn't the capacitive stylus need to be touching your skin to work?

In theory that is correct about the stylus, but it simply needs to find a ground plane and apparently it works. I've decided not to ask why it works for me, and am just pleased that it does!

Lee

What advantages do you see with having the phone mounted in the cockpit v in the tankbag, since you can't operate it with gloves on? I have the bluetooth going through my Zumo into my Scala Rider 4 headset in the helmet, so I could still receive calls if it were in the tank bag. I've found the display difficult to see in the daytime. I thought it might be cool to see the weather reports or radar as I traveled, and it can be used as backup navigation I guess, but just curious what others think.
I know this is phone specific .. but my samsung epic (galaxy s) will unlock when a text or phone call is incoming, and if it is anywhere that something can touch the screen it can/will randomly disconnect and buttdial etc. and then remain unlocked. It's a really stupid oversight because a) I can't reliably use with gloves on (even with a stylus or glovetip) but inanimate things in my tankbag will work, and B) the phone has a proximity sensor which is supposed to turn off the display if I have it next to my face so I don't cheek-dial ... but that feature is apparently disabled when calls/texts are incoming.

+1 On the X-Mount. Secure and versitile, and will accomidate an Otter Box (or similar) phone case.

I hate to say you guys are wrong but this is BY FAR the best mount. Your phone will not EVER fall out of this mount. I am using it with my S2. Must have. LINKY

How's the in and out of that holder? Looks like the top is spring loaded, so you just insert the top of the phone and push it open and then slide in the bottom? Is it that easy?

How's the in and out of that holder? Looks like the top is spring loaded, so you just insert the top of the phone and push it open and then slide in the bottom? Is it that easy?
That is it exactly. The bottom is fixed and the top is spring loaded. The tabs on the side are adjustable. They move independently of each other and are bolted down. The best thing about this holder is that it will hold TONS of different things and it is extremely secure. I have been using it for over 3K miles now without issue! Love it.

I hate to say you guys are wrong but this is BY FAR the best mount. Your phone will not EVER fall out of this mount. I am using it with my S2. Must have. LINKY
Sorry, Barry, but I own the prior, non-spring-loaded version of that mount. The spring-loaded design in the new one you have definitely is an improvement over the earlier ones. The earlier ones had flexible plastic fingers on the sides which did the clamping. However, the downside of either of those vs the X-mount is that they have 8 contact points. With the phones I've owned, those 8 points means that almost certainly one or more of those 8 contact points will be blocking the volume control, or power button, or charge port, or..... For every different phone, I needed to re-adjust the location of the the 8 grips (removing the screws/nuts to shift position) to minimize (and compromise) which button or plug was being blocked.

For my smartphones, the 4 spring loaded attachment points in the X-mount is simply a better, more versatile design that I don't have to futz around with.

I owned that mount Barry is is a POS when compared the the X-Mount. Your mount will push on side buttons on some phone and will not allow others to be charged while mounted.

The X mount is far more adjustable and so much easier to get in and out.

I've it a pot hole that took my Givi E55 off my bike but my phone remained less than impressed. I did take out a square trade warranty on the phone (for riding in general), as it also covers everything but theft (including water damage) ;) and does it far cheaper than the cell provider, and if you cancel you receive a pro rated credit...

I objection with the X-mount is just its security. It was designed for use in a car. The mount I have is designed for use on a bicycle or any outdoor vehicle. On my phone, the Galaxy S2, I have no problem with anything being covered. I can totally understand how bad it would suck if buttons were covered however. Sorry to step on so many X-mount toes. :p