Which Sirius reciver to buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregorytx

Reaction score
I am a Sirius subscriber and have mounted my Xact reciver on my '07 FJR. The reciever's audio output is set and cannot be increased from what I have seen. I purchased some new earphones with an inline volume adjustment and even with this the volume level is still to low. Which Sirius recievers have an adjustable audio out or what other options do I have to fix the lack of volume? Looking for a cheap fix if possible as I am cheap by nature. Don't mind purchasing a new reciever if one of the less expensive ones will satisfy my needs (no Stiletto).

I am a Sirius subscriber and have mounted my Xact reciver on my '07 FJR. The reciever's audio output is set and cannot be increased from what I have seen. I purchased some new earphones with an inline volume adjustment and even with this the volume level is still to low. Which Sirius recievers have an adjustable audio out or what other options do I have to fix the lack of volume? Looking for a cheap fix if possible as I am cheap by nature. Don't mind purchasing a new reciever if one of the less expensive ones will satisfy my needs (no Stiletto).
Sirius Streamer GT has adjustable volume...however... even with Boosteroo I'm not completely happy with the volume. It's an older model available at Dogstar for 45$ with auto kit. (https://www.dogstarradios.com/sirsl1.html).

Mine's find but I use the MixIt for volume. I've read from some that Boosteroo's don't much (some have even used 2 in series to get the volume they need). The trick is that I don't use ear phones. There's too much wind noise to overcome on a bike. You have to crank the volume so much that it's damaging to your hearing. I use used to use a helmet headset and crank it up superloud to overcome the foam ear plugs I used. Now I use ear monitors that serve to block the wind noise and deliver the music straight into my ear without having to fight the surrounding noise. I had to turn DOWN the volume from what it used to be (now to nearly minimum).

My Sirius receiver doesn't mount well to a bar bracket, so I simply lay it in my tank bag. It's an X-Act XTR1 brand https://www.xactcommunication.com/Sirius-Satellite-Radios-7/ but I got it, the car kit (which I use in the bike/tank bag) and the boom box all through https://www/woot.com when it was on sale as a package. After rebates, my total investment was about $25. If I were buy fresh, I'd look at the one f the other X-Act models which have more visible channel buttons. The Rego can record up to 4 hours of music for later playback, but I have 2 MP3 players already and the control panel of the Rego doesn't appear to have preset channel buttons (reach down and select without needing to take your eyes off the road). The XTR8CK has a display that I find easier to read during the day. Red displays are impossible for me to see even when in the car. The BXTR7UK has 6 preset channel buttons; twice as many as the XTR1. And, while the total channels of the XTR1 is something like 24, you have to keep selecting the "Band" button to get to them all (A1, B1, C1, D1, E1, F1); a real hassle even in the car (when it's daytime and the display is red it's even harder for me due to my color blindness).

Functionally, the X-Act has delevered the goods. I love it!

<counter political rant>

Since someone else brought it into the discussion.

I would choose Sirius specifically BECAUSE of Stern - even if I didn't listen to him. The FCC ought to be bitch slapped for how they cherry pick who and how they attack free speach 9or that they retroactively fined Stern for "violations" on tapes that had already aired years ago and been okay the first time. That they even bother to attack in this day and age is disgusting. People who don't like the content can change the channel. This ain't the 1950's any more. If Sirius trippled their subscribers it would still not help the FCC get a clue about what all but a very vocal minority of listeners thought about their actions. It's as bad as when the Nixon administration went after John Lennon.

</counter political rant>

Sirius Streamer GT has adjustable volume...however... even with Boosteroo I'm not completely happy with the volume. It's an older model available at Dogstar for 45$ with auto kit. (https://www.dogstarradios.com/sirsl1.html).
I switched out my Boosteroo for an AmpliRider which is wired. Better sound and no more batteries to worry about.

+1 on Bounce. I have a MixIt2 and had used a donated Boosteroo. No comparison-the MixIt is a thing of beauty, 'specially if you have a talker GPS. Adjustable volume a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I got the Garmin with XM, I had an Xact Visor that I had mounted on a techmount stem stand. I used a simple radio shack in line volume control and then ran that through a Starcom and up into modified Koss headphones mounted directly in the helmet. It really worked great. If you don't want to spend the cash on a Starcom I would think the boostaroo would definitely work for you. I have XM on the bike now and have Sirius in my trucks and if I had my druthers I would go with Sirius.....much better programming IMHO (although it might not make any difference once they are merged).

67285ade.jpg

+ another 1 on the MixIt and now the MixIt2. They truly are fantastic. I output the MixIt into a stereo bluetooth xmitter and wear the receiver around my neck with Ety Er6i's to the ears. Use the volume control on the MixIt, but no wires. Makes me happy.

Jim

I use a boostaroo and then go into my autocomm unit to get the volume I need. I think using a boostaroo alone would work. They run on to AA batteries and seem to last a long time. I have mine velrco underneath my satellite radio bracket. This also allows you to run two different headsets from the boostaroo for passenger listening.