While watching the the Grass grow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobG

Reaction score
How many people here can solve problems easily?

I was playing around with a new charger I got. I wanted to charge a battery that came from my wife's mini sand rail that was drained for a couple weeks.

The 2 newer battery chargers will sense a good battery or one that supposedly can't be charged, would not even start a charge. So I placed it on a old 2 amp saw tooth charger none computer, transformer, diode bridge and capacitor only. Left it there for about 6 hrs. It worked, then I put it on the pulse charger (which now can see the Battery) and let it charge to 100%.

I am just wondering how many people trust the newer microprocessor equipment vs trying to see if they can fix a problem the old tried and true method.

This isn't a battery thread, more a what really works thread.

As with my dad I am sure there are those who don't have the time to work on vehicles, and there are those who have zero analytical skills.

But for those who have the time and won't accept no from anyone, how do you approach anothers failure and turn it into a success.

Another example, I was told by a factory appliance tech, I would have to take out my washing machines drum to replace the brakes under it. He told me there was no other way. He was insistent it can't be done any other way. After I looked at the system it took me 20 minutes from start to finish to complete the replacement, no drum removal.

I did this when managing a Calibration Lab to Building Houses etc.

Has anyone run into similar examples where others have no conceptual ability to solve a problem, and you look at it, and can come up with a viable solution, in a matter of seconds.

And yes I am bored today? It is raining and I am watching the grass grow.

Bob

Yer just real smart, dude. The rest of us resort to parking next to trees and arguing about what kind of oil is the best.

Bored,,,, the rain is on the verge of slush.

The mountains here are getting more snow. ( NAFO, you know it can snow in the mountains here in mid summer)

I kind of argue the same crap that all here do, and most of it really doesn't matter at all. If we **** up our bikes either we sell it or part them out.

So what makes a person smart? Why does it intimidate you, to answer with sarcasm?

Bob

It takes more than smarts.

I work with a noob who had the nerve to say he was smarter than his boss, who is a real sharp guy.

The noob is just missing wisdom and integrity to go with his genius.

Everyone is born with different abilities. Some are artistic, some athletic and some are more mechanically inclined. Just depends on the person. There are times when looking at a problem with a fresh perspective nets the answer. Your dryer repairman has looked at them for so long he, he may not always see what's in front of him. I'm amazed at the solutions to problems my son came up with when he was younger. Because of his lack of real world knowledge, some where unrealistic. But you could see the mind ws working.

I hope your grass doesn't grow too much, 'cause then you've got to mow instead of ride. :D

Has anyone run into similar examples where others have no conceptual ability to solve a problem, and you look at it, and can come up with a viable solution, in a matter of seconds.
And yes I am bored today? It is raining and I am watching the grass grow.

Bob
Ok..Hopefully it has stopped raining, but by the looks of the sky here, I would not bet on it. So, I will entertain you for a couple of minutes.

A long time ago, I owned a 1993 4x4 F150. I loved that truck, but one day the oil pan started leaking. I was working for a Ford dealership at the time, and got all my work done for cheap, so I asked the service manager what it would cost me to replace the oil-pan gasket. $800 he says. He tells me that due to the location of the pan they would either have to lift the engine out, or drop the tranny in order to removed the oil-pan. I called bullshit and decided to do it myself.

So, on a cold November day, I go pick up a replacement gasket and drive my truck onto ramps and begin taking the oil pan out. When all the bolts are removed, and the gasket is stripped, I realize...Holy Shit, I have to either lift the engine or drop the tranny. The pan would not slide out from between the axel and its location because the pan was set up to be protected by the axel. Well, now I realize it is freezing, I cant drive my truck, and I can't get that one piece gasket into the space above the pan so that I can seal it up and put it back together. So after freaking out for about 20 minutes, I jump my ass on my 92 Vulcan and ride to AutoZone. Those guys have a two piece gasket...Yeah :yahoo:

Well, I get home, clean the pan by reaching in and wiping it with a rag. I use black RTV silicon to stick the two-piece gasket to the pan. I eventually put it all back together, filled it with oil and it ran like a champ. I turned that truck in with 150,000 miles and it never leaked again. I was nausiated from being underneath that truck for 11 hours, and I almost froze to death but it cost me less than $15 including the oil to get it fixed. The way I figure it I saved $785...I showed that summbitch. :p