Whistling FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddfont1969

Reaction score
I was bike sitting (read riding) my buddies Bandit last week so my 09 FJR sat idle. This week I got back on her and immediately noticed that when I started her she is whistling/whining. The sound is not unlike the high pitched whistling/whining that the fuel injectors make when first starting the bike except that it's higher pitched and continuous. It's coming from the front of the bike somewhere under the tank. This has never happened before in 8K miles so wondering what the hell a week of sitting unridden would do to cause it to whistle??? I have gone TDY for multiple weeks at a time and she has never done this before. Any help or info is greatly appreciated...

Mmmmmm find another FJR to listen to. Maybe it was there but you didn't notice until you rode the Bandit. Just a thought.

I HAD A WHISTLING SOUND (LIKE A LEAKING AIR HOSE) FROM UNDER THE TANK. IT WAS ONE OF TH O-RINGS BELOW THE FUEL BAR. I SCREWED IT UP WHEN I TOOK THE BAR OFF TO INSTALL THE CC. IAN, IOWA

A helmet change re-introduced me to the whistle. Baffled me with recent servicing firmly in my mind. Turned my head a bit for a better listen and the sound greatly reduced. Changed helmets once home and it again sounded like it always had, the whine/whistle is still present but not nearly as high profile as while wearing the new helmet.

Last edited by a moderator: