Who has an AE with BMW grips?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I have a bunch of little things I am going to be adding to the bike this week and I heard (after I got the grips) that the BMW grips might not work because of the heated grips? Does anyone here have BMW grips on an AE and if so did you have any issues with the install and did the heated grips work alright? I really want to try these grips out so any help you could provide would be great. Will they fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bunch of little things I am going to be adding to the bike this week and I heard (after I got the grips) that the BMW grips might not work because of the heated grips? Does anyone here have BMW grips on an AE and if so did you have any issues with the install and did the heated grips work alright? I really want to try these grips out so any help you could provide would be great. Will they fit?
Can't do it. The elements are in the grips. You would need to buy the A version throttle tube and the throttle housing. Don't do it.

Can't do it. The elements are in the grips. You would need to buy the A version throttle tube and the throttle housing. Don't do it.
Does the factory installed heated grips for the AE work exactly the same way as the after market heated grips that the A crowd buys from Yamaha? Thanks for the feedback and I was hoping someone with an AE would confirm this as well. Richard told me about the issues you had after I bought the grips. I really wanted to try something different.

Does the factory installed heated grips for the AE work exactly the same way as the after market heated grips that the A crowd buys from Yamaha? Thanks for the feedback and I was hoping someone with an AE would confirm this as well. Richard told me about the issues you had after I bought the grips. I really wanted to try something different.
They are not like the aftermarket grips. The grips I have are the AE grips from Yamaha. Does that make me part of the A crowd?

Now you are adding stuff just to add stuff. You need to install a microwave and expresso maker. That would be cool. Maybe a beer tap too.

They are not like the aftermarket grips. The grips I have are the AE grips from Yamaha. Does that make me part of the A crowd?

Now you are adding stuff just to add stuff. You need to install a microwave and expresso maker. That would be cool. Maybe a beer tap too.
The grip puppies are way to big and my hands get sore after a long ride. Not sure how many long rides you put in this year but I plan on putting on many miles this year and I want to have the bike set up the way I like it. If you start putting on some more miles you might see what I mean. :rolleyes:

Oooohh! I think that was an insult. Sitting in the garage rocking back and forth on the center stand counts as mileage in my book bud.

I like the grip puppies they don't hurt my hands. I guess I have man hands.

I have the stuff I took off my bike when I put on the AE grips. I will trade you for your AE heated grips if you want. If you ride down to my house I will help you install everything. Let me know.

Oooohh! I think that was an insult. Sitting in the garage rocking back and forth on the center stand counts as mileage in my book bud.
I like the grip puppies they don't hurt my hands. I guess I have man hands.

I have the stuff I took off my bike when I put on the AE grips. I will trade you for your AE heated grips if you want. If you ride down to my house I will help you install everything. Let me know.
I am just giving you a hard time man. The grip puppies are great for comfort up to about 10 hours and anything over that in a day and my hand starts to cramp and makes the last couple of hours on the road pretty painful. I might take you up on your offer or I might just remove the grip puppies all together and go back to the stock grips. I have really been thinking about doing an iron butt ride this year and I want everything to be just right. These BMW grips feel awesome and I was just hoping there was a way to get them fitted on the bike.

Might need ionbeam to chime in here as he MAY have specifics on how to wire, but seems to me you could put dual star or simtec heaters wired to the AE grip heater controller and put BMW grips on over that - I would go back to the connect point behind the left turn signal and sell the AE heated grips... Keep the AE throttle tube so you can route the wiring the same as the AE heated grips.

Might need ionbeam to chime in here as he MAY have specifics on how to wire, but seems to me you could put dual star or simtec heaters wired to the AE grip heater controller and put BMW grips on over that - I would go back to the connect point behind the left turn signal and sell the AE heated grips... Keep the AE throttle tube so you can route the wiring the same as the AE heated grips.
Tha would be awesome if I could find a way to use the BMW grips with the new simtec heaters wired to the AE grip heater controller. I would pull the trigger in a second.

when u discover those BMW grips suck after 6 hours you are gonna be pissed that you took your 10 hour grips off....

R

when u discover those BMW grips suck after 6 hours you are gonna be pissed that you took your 10 hour grips off....
R
Richard you actually just brought up my biggest concern. In the back of my mind I wonder if this is an issue about a riser plate or grips and I am starting to think after talking to Johnny that is could be the riser plate that would help me with fatigue and cramping after many hours. The problem does not start until about hour 10 and beyond.

The grips are going up for sale and I will put it in another post. $20 delivered to your door. Brand new and just arrived this week.