Who would you want to make your next seat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feel free to selet more than 1

• Russell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bill Mayer

• Rick Mayer

• Sargent

• Corbin

• Total voters

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
My #1 Seat: Russell

My #2 Seat: Bill Mayer

My #3 Seat: Rick Mayer

My #4 Seat: Sargent

My #5 Seat: Corbin

This is my order based on reading many posts in the forum. The problem is I have had no experence with any of these seats and I would like you to share which seat you would want (maybe you already have it) or the one you wish you would have ordered. Has anyone added the heat option and if so does it get pretty hot. I like to ride early in the morning and late at night in cold weather and would like to know if it really heats up enough to feel it and warm you up in the cold temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a die hard Bill Mayer fan. Two seats so far and I won't hesitate going back or recommending him and his staff. Top notch.

After my experience at Bill Mayer I will not go anywhere else, regardless of where I live, it's well worth the ride or flight.

:clapping: Bill Mayer!

IMO Russell is #1 and the others are only if you are determined to get something other than the best. But, amongst the also-rans, I'd drop Seargent and Corbin and add Rich's.

IMO Russell is #1 and the others are only if you are determined to get something other than the best. But, amongst the also-rans, I'd drop Seargent and Corbin and add Rich's.
Well, to tell the truth... I tell him to make it like a Russel (with no springs), just a little more conformity to my butt :)

Anyone but Yamaha Seat and Upholstery. Piano bench, skoot seat, same thing, right?

balazs_zongorazik.jpg

He wouldn't look so angst filled if that was a Russell under his ass, I know that.

Would vote Russell or Bill Mayer but I would rather make my own. Mine is very similar to a Russell and I can modify it to exactly fit me and no butt burn. I'm thinking of making another seat for the FJ to have as an extra so I can have two different styles. Two seats and still way under the cost of one of the seats above. PM. <>< :D

I bought a Corbin based on past experience and now regret it,It's O.K. but not a couch for sure, Hate being vertically challenged(30 inseam) Will go with Bill Mayer probably in the future....

Would vote Russell or Rick Mayer but I would rather make my own. Mine is very similar to a Russell and I can modify it to exactly fit me and no butt burn. I'm thinking of making another seat for the FJ to have as an extra so I can have two different styles. Two seats and still way under the cost of one of the seats above. PM. <>< :D
Yeah, you forgot to add "Painman" to the poll!

Would vote Russell or Rick Mayer but I would rather make my own. Mine is very similar to a Russell and I can modify it to exactly fit me and no butt burn. I'm thinking of making another seat for the FJ to have as an extra so I can have two different styles. Two seats and still way under the cost of one of the seats above. PM. <>< :D
Have you thought about going into business for yourself?

I need to get a seat and right now I am leaning towards a Russell ... but I wish there was a lower-cost alternative.

I need to get a seat and right now I am leaning towards a Russell ... but I wish there was a lower-cost alternative.
Forgive a bit of thread drift. I'm mulling getting a Russell and was going to have them add a few inches of height to the passenger seat so my better half can see over/around me a little bit better. (It's her request; yes, I know it'll make the whole shebang a little bit more top heavy. There's nothing necessarily wrong with top-heavy, be it bikes or Hooters. :rolleyes: )

Anyway, the question is: Is there a significant improvement in fit quality (wrt fitting my ass to the seat) if I do a ride-in fitting instead of just internet order with photos of us on the bike?

Thanks!

Bob

Didn't mean to cause a hi-jack, I'm not setup right now for my own business. Still just a lowly upholstery student and probablly won't go into the business as it is physically demanding job and I don't know if I could handle that part day in and day out. But the price of the seats in the poll are valid as it is not easy nor that cheap making a "quality" seat. Especially if you're paying workers to do it. Back to your regular scheduled program. PM. <>< ;)

My #1 Seat: RussellMy #2 Seat: Bill Mayer

My #3 Seat: Rick Mayer

My #4 Seat: Sargent

My #5 Seat: Corbin
For now it seems Russell is running away with the #1 tittle and I sit here with a Russell order form all filled out and ready to go. I have called them and received a production start date of Sept. 27th.

I was wondering, all you Russell fans, which cover is your choice. There are four: all Vinyl, Vinyl with velour, vinyl with leather, or all leather?

I ride mostly in the USA ;)

Tried the Rick Mayer on a ride-in, and after sending it back for a re-do, it still did not meet my expectations. So based on a few's advice here, I gave the other brother Bill Mayer a try and he did ONE OUTSTANDING JOB conforming that seat to my scrawny little ass. I am a very happy Bill Mayer customer.

Obviously Russell is top notch also, but they are a bit more $$$, and frankly they kind of piss me off with how they charge extra for a ride-in. Still, wouldn't mind trying one of their seats one day.