Why Delo 400 is the best!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Because you can haul it back to be recycled in the same container you hauled it home in!

IMG_1026-1.jpg

Except in Southern California, where the legislative rectum romeos (CARB?) (I see you're in Clovis and aren't getting hassled)decided that mandating old oil be returned in a BLACK container would eliminate cross-contamination of recyclables.

I damn near got thrown out of an Autozone for arguing with the manager over it, my point being that they SOLD me the oil in silver containers...

(and of course, they would be more than happy to sell me a peoples republic of California-approved black container)

edit: I just spent a few minutes at the California Integrated Waste Management Board website, and it says any container than the oil can be transported in is sufficient, (they aren't supposed to discourage people from attemtpting to recycle) so now I'm wondering if the dink at Autozone was jerking me around.

[SIZE=18pt]Second edit: From the CIWMB site...[/SIZE]

Do the collection centers consistently accept used oil from the public?

A collection center that does not accept a DIYer’s used oil could do enough harm to prevent that DIYer from ever recycling his oil again. The most frequent reason cited for turning away DIYers is because the oil collection tank is full. You can encourage the center to either increase the frequency of oil pickup from a hauler, or to purchase additional tanks to store the DIYer oil between pickups. Oil hauling costs and oil tank purchases are eligible expenses through your block grant funds.

The best way to help your collection centers and give them the support they deserve and need is to conduct regular site visits, about two per year to each center. (Note that the minimum required by statute, one center visit per 100,000 people, is too infrequent to be effective.)

Grantees that visit CCCs on a frequent basis report fewer problems with orphaned oil, increased oil and filter collection, and increased program satisfaction from the participating businesses.

A few points for collection centers to consider:

No "approved" container exists--any container in which the oil is carried in is acceptable (centers are not required to accept and keep the empty oil container).

Centers can accept up to 55 gallons of used oil (few will); but can set a lower limit, not to be less than 5 gallons.

Centers can accept oil from small businesses, provided they are Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) who generate less than 100 kg. (220 lb.) of hazardous waste per month, which is about 27 gallons of oil.

Filters: Although CCCs are not required to accept oil filters from the public, consider setting up a filter collection partnership between you and the center. Because the center is not reimbursed with a recycling incentive fee for filters (unlike oil), the filter hauling costs could be paid directly out of your block grant.

Last edited by a moderator: