Why Sat radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedcricket

You have whiskey?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've have my blackberry storm phone since it was released late last year. At first, there were a limited number of "cool tools" to use with the phone. Since then, there have been a few additions. One of which allows you to stream music (as long as you're not roaming)

Slacker.com and pandora.com both offer apps for a variety of phones. Sadly, my preference for pandora does not work on my phone. It does work on a lot of other models (see website for details) Slacker.com just released their app for the Storm.

So, why would I pay for a satellite radio service, additional hardware, figure out how to power that farkle (if I didn't have the Zumo 550) if I can get it on my phone included with the data service plan I must have anyway???

I have a slacker.com free subscription and I'm happy with it. There are a few glitches and I'm sure I'll lose the service if I roam, but what a deal for short day-rides or rides on the slab where I won't lose a cell tower.

YMMV, just thought I'd toss this out there. (and hopefully this is the correct place to post this)

Because the FCC is attacking streaming radio just like they have been other media in their witch hunt to help old media avoid having to rethink their business plans.

One of the current issues is that the FCC wants to charge double its royalty fees for streaming media. satellite media has to pay at a lesser rate. broadcast media doesn't pay this fee at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1503367_pf.html

https://ebiquity.umbc.edu/blogger/2008/08/1...d-by-high-fees/

Last year, an obscure federal panel ordered a doubling of the per-song performance royalty that Web radio stations pay to performers and record companies. Traditional radio, by contrast, pays no such fee. Satellite radio pays a fee but at a less onerous rate, at least by some measures. As for Pandora, its royalty fees this year will amount to 70 percent of its projected revenue of $25 million, Westergren said, a level that could doom it and other Web radio outfits.”

There was an agreement reached between RIAA and other parties with online streaming media companies.

LINKY

In a surprise announcement that could actually signal the beginning of the end of the long-running streaming media royalties debacle, representatives of the Recording Industry Association of America state they have reached an agreement with DiMA, the leading trade group representing digital media broadcasters. That agreement could cap the music royalties that streaming broadcasters pay to 10.5 percent of revenue.

I'll take a stab at the question.

The whole idea of sat radio is that it works anywhere. If you're data service dies (or goes mega-$$$$) when you roam, then you're SOL out of your home zone.

Second, you're not gonna last very long on batteries while streaming music through it. Gotta plug it in. That's another power connection you gotta come up with that you normally aren't gonna need.

Keep in mind, I don't ride with music, so what I think matters none at all. I find it too distracting. When driving I find myself "coming out of it" after listening to something for a while and realizing I've gone 100 miles or so on sub-concious auto-pilot. Don't need that on the bike.

FYI,

Sirus could be in chapter 11 on Feb 17th, They have a $300 Million bond due then and it looks like they are having trouble getting it re-financed.

I'll take a stab at the question.The whole idea of sat radio is that it works anywhere. If you're data service dies (or goes mega-$$$$) when you roam, then you're SOL out of your home zone.

Second, you're not gonna last very long on batteries while streaming music through it. Gotta plug it in. That's another power connection you gotta come up with that you normally aren't gonna need.

Keep in mind, I don't ride with music, so what I think matters none at all. I find it too distracting. When driving I find myself "coming out of it" after listening to something for a while and realizing I've gone 100 miles or so on sub-concious auto-pilot. Don't need that on the bike.
Very valid points. Great discussion.

Satellite and cell tech won't work everywhere. Satellite will probably work in more places more consistently than cell. It works mainly on the superslabs. That's where I tend to listen to music. I'm not listening to it while riding around at events like NAFO. Through western NE, I don't think I'd care if I "forgot" the last 100 miles of flat, straight no-scenery roads :)

If someone was considering a satellite service, this would be an alternative. It might also be a cheaper alternative if they have a phone which supports these options. Either way, you'd need a power outlet. It might be more expensive for some folks to add the data service. Finally, depending on the phone, you can shut down the data services when you enter a roaming area.

And, yes, we'll see what happens with Siriux/XM next week....

FYI, Sirus could be in chapter 11 on Feb 17th, They have a $300 Million bond due then and it looks like they are having trouble getting it re-financed.
another FCC looking out for broadcast media issue. the fcc dragged its feet on the Sirius/XM merger longer than any other merger they've ever reviewed. if they would have moved on it with their regular sluggishnes then there's a pretty good change that sirius may have been able to absorb the merger cost before the current downturn (and drop in discretionary spending). chapter 11 doesn't mean a copy will close its doors. it's a way to keep operating.

as for satellite working mainly on the slabs, (did i get that comment right?). that's more of a cell phone function. satellite will work in nearly the whole usa as long as the visibility to the satellites isn't obstructed.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.) Sat Radio works everywhere. Your phone...can you hear me now?

2.) The NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, Howard Stern, Dopie & Anthony, Martha Stewart & Oprah. Your phone...can you hear me now?

3.) 100+ music channels. Your phone...gets the big three formats from Viacom, Clear Channel and Disney. Your phone...can you hear me now?

Multi-function devices rarely do anything extremely well, just a bunch of stuff half-assed.

I agree , great discussion. I use my iphone with Slacker and Pandora radio. It gives me what I want and is free. I had XM and did not think it was worth it in my case.

FYI, Sirus could be in chapter 11 on Feb 17th, They have a $300 Million bond due then and it looks like they are having trouble getting it re-financed.
I just got a note from XM that they are raising my monthly fee from $6.99 to $8.99 unless I buy 1-3 years at the current rate to lock it in. After the 1-3 years, it will go to $8.99. However, the rep said that I can buy a lifetime plan for the radios for $399 each. They will give me full credit for the unused credit (1 year for my primary and 3 months for my secondary). I was also going to activate my Garmin XM antenna to go with my Garmin 478. To do lifetimes on all 3 radios, I have to shell out around $1000 in this economy. I am very tempted since I really like my XM in the cars. Now you tell me they are facing Chapter 11! What to do...

CH 11 does not necessarily mean dissolving the company - in this case, it'll probably mean the shareholders get 0, instead of their .6 cents per share and they work out a reorganization with their creditors.

I use Pandora on my iPhone, the iPod in it for backup (8 GB), and AT&T with no roaming charges anywhere in the country.

I just got a note from XM that they are raising my monthly fee from $6.99 to $8.99 unless I buy 1-3 years at the current rate to lock it in. After the 1-3 years, it will go to $8.99. However, the rep said that I can buy a lifetime plan for the radios for $399 each. They will give me full credit for the unused credit (1 year for my primary and 3 months for my secondary). I was also going to activate my Garmin XM antenna to go with my Garmin 478. To do lifetimes on all 3 radios, I have to shell out around $1000 in this economy. I am very tempted since I really like my XM in the cars. Now you tell me they are facing Chapter 11! What to do...
A word of caution on the lifetime subscription - it is only good for the "lifetime" of the radio that you buy it for.

If you upgrade to a new radio, you forfeit the subscription on the old one and have to buy a new lifetime subscription.

A word of caution on the lifetime subscription - it is only good for the "lifetime" of the radio that you buy it for.
If you upgrade to a new radio, you forfeit the subscription on the old one and have to buy a new lifetime subscription.
They did explain the concept that it is for the lifetime of the radio (or the lifetime of XM?). If it is your car radio, the lifetime subscription stays with the car as a selling point. If the car is totalled or the radio is stolen, they give you a break on the new car (without saying what that break would be). If it is a portable radio, like for the bike, it is the lifetime of the unit.

Lifetime of the unit? So much for moving to the lifetime subscription then :huh:

It's the lifetime of the receiver. But they have allowances for xfering the lifetime subscription to 4 or 5 other receivers (N+1 for the original) for a small service fee. If your receiver tanks of you simply want to upgrade tech, you aren't losing your lifetime subscription.

I got mine about 5 years ago. It paid for itself in 2 to 3 years and it's all been gravy since. Sirius made that offer back then (XM didn't). When I got the Sirius receiver for my car, I xfered the lifetime scrip from the portable receiver I had been using on the bike. Easy peezy!

They even make allowances for warranty replacements. My first portable receiver died and was replaced under warranty. Siruis xferred the lifetime scrip to the new receiver with no fee and it didn't count against my total xfers.

To date: 3 receivers. -1 against my total xfers.

Last edited by a moderator:
XM subscriber here since 2003, transferred from my Tahoe to the 'vette in 2005, and have another sub for my Roadie. I got the BS email last week, telling me they were raising the rates if I didn't lock in for long time, and telling me that I would lose the online access for the same reason. News flash for the assclowns that have run sat radio into the ground: I'm not going to sign up for anything long term until I see who owns you in a couple of weeks. The game changes if you are taken over by Echostar, who has been buying up your worthless stock lately. They have money, you don't.

And for those that think the FCC caused this, please explain how in the world a business model that pays Howie Stern a half a BILLION dollars makes sense?

Getting XM service in the middle of nowhere when the Harley Radio guys and their blaring speakers I'm riding with get shut down for lack of signal (well they do have cd's)...........Priceless.

Hope they don't go bankrupt.

Ignore the email. All bark and no bite. They will cave. <_<

And for those that think the FCC caused this, please explain how in the world a business model that pays Howie Stern a half a BILLION dollars makes sense?

Howard brought 6 million listeners to Sirius in his first year. 6 mill X $10.00 = 60 mill a month in new revenues to Sirius. Howard is being paid 100mill a year for 5 years. In just 1.5 months his listeners pay his annual salary. I know I low balled the monthly service fee, I've been with Sirius for years I think its closer to 13.00 a month now. Reguardless, I agree its a ton of $$$ but in this case I think he deserves every penny. Fan or not, the fact is he did bring the cusomers and what Sirius/XM is doing with the extra gazillion $$$ left over from just Howards contribution is my question. Maybe Mel Carmason is staching some under his mattress.