Wilbers 643 installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbike

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the Wilbers 643 shock when the group buy gets going. This is the model with the piggyback compression damping adjustment reservoir (fits only on the non-ABS FJR). I believe some were purchased on the last group buy. Any feedback on installation problems or other difficulties (making adjustments?) would be appreciated.

Nope, no problems. My whole mechanism fit right in, fairly easily and quite straight forward. Some seemed to have had problems getting it all in place.

Having said that, I'm not a Superbike rider and don't really notice THAT much change using the extra reservoir. If I were to do it again, I'd save my money.

The shock is great, though. Ride quality improved right out of the box.

Hope you guys get hooked up soon! Christmas is around the corner.

I had my #643 installed by my mechanic. It went on without a hitch and was, according to him, a real simple install. He did take off the rear wheel but said it could have been done without taking that step. Others have said they put theirs on without the rear wheel removal. The new shock really transformed the handling of the bike. It is now much more " planted " when I attack the twisties yet it really smoothes out the rough street stuff when I'm just out crusing. I don't use the remote adjustment as much as those guys who do a lot of track day stuff but I do use it some and it is a lot more convenient to make adjustments when you have it. Overall, one of the best farkles I've done.

I had very little trouble installing my 643 on my '03 FJR. I went in through the top. The whole project took maybe an hour.

The new shock makes the bike less harsh riding and much more planted-especially on poor road surfaces. I use the preload adjuster fairly frequently . It is about in the middle when I'm solo with no bags or "freight" , I crank in 3 rounds when two-up and add another if two-up with baggage. Works great for me.

I believe the 643 will work with or without ABS.

I believe the 643 will work with or without ABS.
Model 643 is for non-ABS models only.Technically the same as model 641, but with piggy back reservoir (perpendicular to the shock axis)

Last edited by a moderator: