Wilbers Shock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedjunkie

Reaction score
Well, I did a search and came up empty. I need to increase the preload on my Wilbers more than what the remote will do. In otherwords, I have to dial in over half of the remote preload, just to set the bike up for the correct static sag per the instructions. I'm trying to run the nut on top the preload adjuster down with a spanner wrench, but DAMN! It won't move! Am I going to have to remove the shock and take it down to Pep Boys to take the tension off the spring first? Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I leave on a 4500 mile trip Saturday morning. Thanks.

Mike

I am pretty sure you cannot increase the preload as you describe. At this point, with the problem you describe, I believe the solution is to get a new firmer spring.

Hopefully someone in the know will come along shortly, but I seem to recall a few others in your predicament that had to get a new spring.

Re getting the top nut (and later the bottom one) to move, I don't have a remote preload and needed more to get close to the recommended sag. Klaus recommended adding no more than 2 turns. After trying to get the little spanner to loosen everthing in vain, I finally used a little homemade pipe extension to the supplied wrench to give me more leverage.

It consist of a piece of small pipe about 16" long which fits snugly over the spanner handle, and allows more pull/push as required.

The top nut loosens CCW and tightens CW.

There is just enough space to adjust the nut using this arrangement, rotating the spanner each time. I managed to get 2 more full turns of preload after about 1/2 hours work (mark the ring with a sharpie). Then I decided after riding it several thousand km that it was too harsh and backed it off a full turn (about 30 little individual wrench adjusts) for my little trip.

I just did 15,000km on the new setup and am very happy with it.

If you can't get this adjusted to your satisfaction, you oughta consider shipping your shock back to Klause and let him fix this for you. Sounds like you may have gotten the wrong spring size, or perhaps just a bum spring that went TU on you. :(

Out of the 184 shocks obtained through the group buy earlier this year, there have been a handful of guys who had to send their's back for the same issue. Call/email Klaus and tell him your situation....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I think I'll email Klaus and then return it this winter. Do you still have an email addy for him? Later.

Mike