Wilbers shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
Need help and advice on what to do with this issue.

Got a call from Dave at GP suspension last night. He told me that the aluminum piece that the hoses for the resivoir and the remote preload mount has a crack and will need to be repaired or replaced.

Question 1 What is the warranty on the Wilburs shock.

2 Does anyone know if I would contact Klaus or that new place aftershoks if in fact it is in warranty

I purchased this shock in jan 05 on the group buy so it is almost three years old.

Thanks for any info .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like your going to have to pay to have it fixed. At least it was caught before catastrophic failure...

Question 1 What is the warranty on the Wilburs shock.2 Does anyone know if I would contact Klaus or that new place aftershoks if in fact it is in warranty

I purchased this shock in jan 05 on the group buy so it is almost three years old.
Wilbers shocks have a 5 year warranty but Klaus wanted them to be serviced every 2 years to keep the warranty in tact -- but I don't think that would apply to your shock since the part that failed does not appear to be a serviceable item. Klaus is no longer a Wilbers dealer but has stated he will honor the warranty on any shocks he sold -- whether he has that part in inventory is another matter. You should call him and see what he can/will do for you.

Another option is to call Ted Porter at beemershop.com since he is now an official Wilbers supplier and service rep.

I talked to Klaus and the warranty is 5 year he said to send it in and he would check it out. So I will see what happens.

Well I got the shock back from GP and sent to Klaus. He called me and said it is a warranty item but He has to get the part from Wilbur in germany so I may wait a couple pf weeks. But my shock is getting fixed. :clapping:

Well I got the shock back from GP and sent to Klaus. He called me and said it is a warranty item but He has to get the part from Wilbur in germany so I may wait a couple pf weeks. But my shock is getting fixed. :clapping:
Hmmm, I think I would have asked GP to send it to Klaus and then have Klaus send it back to GP for the rest of the work you asked them to do. Would have saved some shipping time and cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I think I would have asked GP to send it to Klaus and then have Klaus send it back to GP for the rest of the work you asked them to do. Would have saved some shipping time and cost.
When I spoke to Dave at GP he said Klause would have to do the same maintenance that they would do in order to replace the broken part so it won't have to be sent back to GP. Which is why it is good to buisness with good honest people like those at GP, they sure could have told me to send it back to them and I would have not knowing it wasn't needed.

When I spoke to Dave at GP he said Klause would have to do the same maintenance that they would do in order to replace the broken part so it won't have to be sent back to GP. Which is why it is good to buisness with good honest people like those at GP, they sure could have told me to send it back to them and I would have not knowing it wasn't needed.
Very cool. These group buys do seem to ferret out the good people to do business with. Guess I'll have to buy Warchild a cold one at NAFO for that.

I guess he figured the group buy was less than 5 years ago, before that I doubt many people bought wilbers shocks for their FJR. :dntknw:

I guess he figured the group buy was less than 5 years ago, before that I doubt many people bought wilbers shocks for their FJR. :dntknw:
Five years ago, there wasn't an abundance of FJR's running around these parts.

I got my shock back from Klaus on Thursday. Wow what a wait. Luckily it was winter and didnt really cause me any problems with missing out on riding.

Well Klaus is a man who stands behind his product he got the parts from Wilburs and did not charge anything for the repair. :yahoo:

I did have him put on a stronger spring and that was 125.00

Took it to Smitty last night I should have it back this weekend so I can test out those GP front forks :yahoo:

Shocks on, it rides great. I think I will just keep the bike at my house for a spare!! :blink: :yahoo: :yahoo: Smitty

Latest posts