Wilbers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay folks, here's a question for you.

On a 640, with remote preload, I see the flyer with the shock identify the following controls:

remote preload adjuster - preload

knurled ring on bottom of shock - rebound damping

remote compression damping adjuster - compression damping (even though mine didn't include this).

What's not identified:

Threaded lock ring on top of shock - repload? height?

And where's the compression damping adjuster if you didn't get the remote adjuster?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay And where's the compression damping adjuster if you didn't get the remote adjuster?
I don't think the 640 has any compression adjustment, but the remote compression can be added if you send it back to Wilbers.

BTW I finally received a replacement spring from Klaus, looks like I get to rework the shock this week!

Check with Skyway. We were discussing my "lack" of preload straight from the box. IIRC, the top lock ring will compress the spring and add static preload, but Skyway said he compressed the spring before adjusting the lock rings. (Yes, it's handy having a machine shop.)

Concensus is that the compression damping control is via either the piggie back rez or the remote control. Since I got neither, I don't have access to it. I was under the mistaken impression that it would be on the shock body; just not on a remote control pod.

Instead of sending it back I'm going to try it "as is". It should be fine since Klaus would have tweaked it for the changes that the different spring would have created.

Not a bag on Wilbers at all, since this was a misunderstanding on my part and may be a non-issue once I get it dialed in with the different spring. I've always been of the opinion that cash spent on suspension bits is always the most effective use of my money when compared to a couple extra HP from a Power Commander or after market slip ons (or whatever). The suspension will help me put more of the OEM power to the ground before worring about increasing output over the OEM numbers.

Just to try and confuse you more. ;) damping is totally unrelated to springrate, assuming it was setup correctly in the first place. To put it simple, springs deal with movement, while damping deals with how fast that movement occurs. While the speed of the movement can vary with different springs, damping will still be correct eventhough it operates on a different section of the damping curve.

Now, if the damping is not setup correctly, ie in a futile attempt to compensate symptoms of an incorrect spring, it will still be wrong with the right spring.

They are 2 different and seperate systems, though admittingly that is a perfect world scenario. However, a good suspension guy can get it pretty close.