Will not start fault code 16

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welldunn

Reaction score
I have a 2004 non abs daily rider with 86,000 on the odo. The bike sat for a week while North Florida was getting washed.

When I tried to start it last night it would spin over nicely but not fire. Then it gave me a fault code 16. TPS fault.

The TSP was replaced about 20,000 miles ago for the recall. Any ideas? Will a faulty TPS keep the bike from starting?

Anyone ever change one out? Of course the bike is 6 months out of its yes warranty.

Thanks for the help

David

My guess is that it is NOT the TPS. Probably something more simple.

Did the bike get wet during that week? If so, you makey simply have water in some electrical connector. Also, issues with the ignition switch can cause that fault code.

First off, are you sure the key was turned all the way Counter-clockwise? Sometimes, I don't get my key all the way and it will turn over, but not start.

When this happened to my 05, I simply disconnected and reconnected the battery, kind of like a re-boot, it worked for me.

Skippy

Checked the fault codes in diag mode. Had 2 of them 16 and 30. Still not sure what 30 is. Cleared the codes and after several failed attempts to start they had not come back. I thought I knew this bike very well and never had any hint of the flooding problems I've seen posted on this site. That said, being a devout believer in K.I.S.S. I decided to try the wide open throttle start. It took so long that I was about to give up then the bike fired and ran for a few seconds. Several more tries and it started and ran like the champ that it is.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

The first time I experienced a fault code I assumed the worst. I went nuts and payed an awful amount of money to have a crankshaft position sensor shipped overnight from across the world to a dealer. Then overnight again from the dealer to me. Only to find out it was an errant code. The ecu seems to throw wrong codes sometimes because of voltage drops and whatnot. My dad taught me to work on cars and always said if you don't know what the problem is start with the cheapest part first. The cheap stuff tends to break first. WOT starting is def. the cheapest fix to try first. :) . By the way anyone wanna buy a very expensive crankshaft position sensor? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked the fault codes in diag mode. Had 2 of them 16 and 30. Still not sure what 30 is.
Just FYI Welldunn, Fault Code 30 is registered when the bike is tipped over (e.g. ooops, I dropped the fookin' heavyass bastard! :angry2: :angry2: )

BTDT.

VPup

Checked the fault codes in diag mode. Had 2 of them 16 and 30. Still not sure what 30 is.
Just FYI Welldunn, Fault Code 30 is registered when the bike is tipped over (e.g. ooops, I dropped the fookin' heavyass bastard! :angry2: :angry2: )

BTDT.

VPup
Oh yes fond memories. Dirt road in Alaska fully loaded coming off the center stand bike and rider tip over into a thorn bush. :clapping:

OK. I don't have a solution but some more information that may add to the knowledge base to try to figure out what is going on. I have an 03 and my friend has an 06. He just returned from a 4K trip across the west and washed the bike when he got home. He rode it home from the car wash and rode it again the next day. The following day it wouldn't start. After reading different things in the Forum he changed plugs and battery. (While changing the plugs he made sure he had spark at the plugs.) It still wouldn't start. All the while it was throwing a Code 16. (His TPS was changed 2 years ago in case you were getting ahead of me.) We took my TPS off and put it on his bike. After grinding and sputtering like there was no gas in the injectors or line it started. Subsequent start ups were instantaneous like the FJR is supposed to do. We put his TPS on my bike and it started right up--no hesitation. We put his back on his bike and it started right up. My only theory now is we somehow re-booted a system somewhere but if that is the case why didn't it re-boot when the battery was changed? I would like to figure out what just happened so as not be stranded the next time I'm standing on top of the Escalante and the "Desert Doctor" is still 100 miles away and it won't start. Ideas and comments please.

As a post script: May the FJR gods curse the inventor of the "tamper proof torque bolt" and his kick-stand fall off.

Just from your description, TPS swap = "fixed" bike, but I feel there's more to the equation....

1 - Washed bike = wet TPS connection = "broken" bike

2 - Swapped TPS = moisture taken out of the equation = TWO running bikes

3 - Conclusion? Be careful washing your bike, especially when rinsing off around the tank on the right side

Wild ass guess.

Just from your description, TPS swap = "fixed" bike, but I feel there's more to the equation....
1 - Washed bike = wet TPS connection = "broken" bike

2 - Swapped TPS = moisture taken out of the equation = TWO running bikes

3 - Conclusion? Be careful washing your bike, especially when rinsing off around the tank on the right side

Wild ass guess.

I have also learned the computer needs a certain minimum amount of energy to operate. It can have enough energy to run basic lights and appear to be normal but there is not enough energy to make the computer activate the other things necessary for life; like the the fuel injectors, etc. When changing any connections, make sure to use the electrical connection grease on all connections.

I have also learned the computer needs a certain minimum amount of energy to operate. It can have enough energy to run basic lights and appear to be normal but there is not enough energy to make the computer activate the other things necessary for life; like the the fuel injectors, etc. Getting it wet may have the effect of reducing current just enough to make it look like it is alive but it is not really. When changing any connections, make sure to use the electrical connection grease on all connections. When washing, stay away from the TPS and if it won't start, unplugging the battery seems to have a "re-boot" effect and grease everything with connection grease.