Will this Ohlin fit the bill?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagstaff

Reaction score
I've know for a while that my rear shock should be replaced. My 2006 has 44,400 miles on it, and with my riding season in full swing it is about to get a bunch more. Now for the important information.

The fjr is not my ride hard hooning bike, my Ducati fills that role. The fjr is my travel bike. Once I get where I'm going I will empty the side bags and remove the top case to enjoy some spirited riding, but I'm not looking to have the ultimate in suspension and handling. I put new bushing and changed out the fork oil last year. The front end feels as good as it can with a rear that is a bit sloppy. The deteriorated rear causes some wallowing in turns, especially if I need to make any mid turn corrections.

I just spent $5000 to bring my vision up to what it was like or maybe even better then when I was 20, and that was money well spent...no glasses and perfect distance and night vision. With the HeliBar Tour Performance Handlebar Bridge on my radar and three other motorcycles wanting some attention in the way of upgrades my budget for the shock is limited. I'm considering a Ohlin YA 053 which is the S46DR1 model. Here is a link to the specifics:

https://www.ohlins.com/Templates/Pages/TypeCode/TypeCode.aspx?typecode=S46DR1

This shock will cost me $551 shipped, and that fits nicely into my budget. You can see why it is on the less expensive end of the scale since it lacks the higher end features. My goal is to get back to the feel of a new ride. I always ride solo, I weigh 160, and once I get the suspension set I leave it alone. I think this should fit the bill, but I'd like to know what ya'll think.

Thanks

I won an OHLINS at EOM13. It's not the top of the line but, it's an OHLINS. Those shocks all work under the same principle. The difference in price is the fancy ways you can do any adjustment remotely when needed. If you're not going to fuss with it, That shock will blow you away on how it will make your FJR perform. At that price, you will be very happy with the results. I felt the difference the moment a sat on the bike for the first time when I picked it up after the install. I now know what the term: " it rides like its on rails" means. Enjoy! :)

An Ohlins (or Penske, Hyperpro, Wilbers...etc.) set up for you will be a great replacement for your clapped out stocker.

Several great choices out there and they're all rebuildable for that "new shock" feeling every couple years.

Happy hunting and good luck!

--G

Considering your weight and intended use I would look for a low mileage GEN3 shock before I would buy a bare bones aftermarket shock that does not have independent compression and rebound damping. A GEN2 shock obviously will work but the GEN3s have heavier springs and better damping. Keep in mind that maintaining spring and damping balance between the front and back is very important and if you upgrade one end you probably are not going to be happy with the other end until it is upgraded.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be too early to know, but any word on whether a Gen 3 shock could be rebuilt? When I had an R1100RT I was able to buy new/near-new take offs at very reasonable prices. When the supply of those ran dry I went with a pair of Works Performance shocks which I had rebuilt twice. A shock that can be rebuilt is important with the amount of miles I can put on in a short period of time.

If you say the FJR is a travel bike... can we assume you pack some gear in your side cases or in a tail bag? If so... perhaps the shock with the remote pre-load adjuster is best? That would be the YA707 and it is the S46HR1C1S. Its a lot more spendy (~$1100) but has a lot more adjust-ability and the remote pre-load allows quick adjustment for a loaded up trip. This is the shock I am focusing on for me oh-eight FJR. But, I could be talked out of it... it is expensive!
weirdsmiley.gif

Cheers

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be too early to know, but any word on whether a Gen 3 shock could be rebuilt? When I had an R1100RT I was able to buy new/near-new take offs at very reasonable prices. When the supply of those ran dry I went with a pair of Works Performance shocks which I had rebuilt twice. A shock that can be rebuilt is important with the amount of miles I can put on in a short period of time.
I am not aware that they normally can be rebuilt but there are a couple of suspension gurus who were rebuilding the GEN2s. I have seen the GEN3 shocks on sale at YamahaPartsHouse.com (or something similar) for about $410.

If you say the FJR is a travel bike... can we assume you pack some gear in your side cases or in a tail bag? If so... perhaps the shock with the remote pre-load adjuster is best? That would be the YA707 and it is the S46HR1C1S. Its a lot more spendy (~$1100) but has a lot more adjust-ability and the remote pre-load allows quick adjustment for a loaded up trip. This is the shock I am focusing on for me oh-eight FJR. But, I could be talked out of it... it is expensive!
weirdsmiley.gif

Cheers

Scott
I do carry both bags packed, and when it is an extended trip I put a Seal Line bag behind me on the passenger seat, but all together we might be talking 50 pounds as the absolute maximum. I'll put up with the degradation in handling caused by the extra weight to avoid spending almost double. Like I mentioned I generally drop the extra gear once I get to my destination. I'd also expect the shock to perform well over a range of weight like you would typically encounter.

I am not aware that they normally can be rebuilt but there are a couple of suspension gurus who were rebuilding the GEN2s. I have seen the GEN3 shocks on sale at YamahaPartsHouse.com (or something similar) for about $410.
That is definitely an option. Just over $400 for a new shock puts it pretty close to what you'd pay for a rebuild. Time to read up on the Gen III rear shock.