Wind noise...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
In my attempt to fine tune my riding experience I find the constant roar in my ears to be the most difficult to fix. I tried ear plugs and they seem to help a bit, but on longer rides the wind noise still gets to me. It's a real loud roaring sound which seems to be coming from under the back of the helmet. I don't think it's normal. I don't remember this problem on the cruiser I had years ago.

I bought a larger calsci windshield and that takes care of the noise but I've found I much prefer to be in the wind. I would probably like the stock shield better if it wasn't ruining my hearing. I have the hjc cl-15 helmet and was thinking I could get a quiter helmet. After reading as much as I could find on this subject, it seems there's no real consensus on which helmets are quieter. I might try not using any windshield. Any ideas appreciated.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Oscar Wilde

Nate you must be doing something wrong with the ear plugs. For example the foam ear plugs, when properly inserted will get you around 32 dB noise reduction, and believe me with these there is no way your ears will be hurting from wind or any other noise on multiple 1,000+ mile rides.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my attempt to fine tune my riding experience I find the constant roar in my ears to be the most difficult to fix. I tried ear plugs and they seem to help a bit, but on longer rides the wind noise still gets to me. It's a real loud roaring sound which seems to be coming from under the back of the helmet. I don't think it's normal. I don't remember this problem on the cruiser I had years ago.
I bought a larger calsci windshield and that takes care of the noise but I've found I much prefer to be in the wind. I would probably like the stock shield better if it wasn't ruining my hearing. I have the hjc cl-15 helmet and was thinking I could get a quiter helmet. After reading as much as I could find on this subject, it seems there's no real consensus on which helmets are quieter. I might try not using any windshield. Any ideas appreciated.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Oscar Wilde

That's OK, because we don't understand you either...

It's a real loud roaring sound which seems to be coming from under the back of the helmet. I don't think it's normal.
The FJR is noted for having the airstream push you forward if the windscreen is all of the way up, so I would guess that is the issue you solved with your new windscreen. I would guess that on your old motorcycle the windstream was not pushing you from behind, hence you never had the problem before.

I agree with JamesK that with earplugs in the problem should be fixed no matter what. You will hear it, but the noise will be severely attenuated.

If you like the wind & want to be in it, you might try cutting the stock windshield down using a bandsaw or whatever folks use to accomplish that. It will get you into cleaner air w/o nearly as much turbulence.

Funny that you say the wind noise is coming from the back. First complain I've heard on this. Do you have the windshield full down when this happens?

It's a real loud roaring sound
Nate, is your helmet snug? Are your ears inside the ear holes? Most name brand helmets have replacement padding that you can purchase to adjust the inside helmet size. I have a Shoei X-11 and I have an XXL top and ordered XL cheek pads - thicker - to make the helmet snug.

Also, are you using ear plugs properly?

"With thumb and forefinger roll and progressively compress the entire tapered end to a small wrinkle free cylinder."

"Insert compressed tapered end fully into ear canal, hold until ear plug expands."

"When properly inserted the bottom edge of the ear plug is located at the opening of the ear canal."

Between the 32 db ear plugs and fitting the snug helmet the only noise is Sally on the intercom.... ;)

Between the 32 db ear plugs and fitting the snug helmet the only noise is Sally on the intercom.... ;)
Well and in my case at least the little voices in my head telling me to go faster. Another benefit of properly inserted ear plugs is that you easily gain 10-15 MPH B)

Hi Nate,

I have experienced the same "roaring" noise. I also have an HJC helmet, but I don't think the helmet is to blame. When I ride my wife's cruiser, it's not dead quiet, but its quite noticeably quieter. I took the windshield off the FJR and found it to be much quieter. Try standing on the pegs to see how loud it is in the undisturbed air. I think there are really only 2 solutions:

1: buy and use very good quality ear plugs, use whatever windshield you want and ride in a loud but cool environment.

2: use a windshield that you sit completely behind and ride in a quiet but hot environment.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll give those earplugs another try and check out those helmets.
Nate...good advice from everyone here. I suggest earplugs and agree you should double check your technique for insertion. Once seated correctly, 29 or 32 db of noice reduction will change your world. Ear plugs reduce fatigue, saves your hearing and make riding much more enjoyable. Regarding windscreens, I'd suggest you slowly cut down the stock unit an inch or two at a time until you find yourself in a clean undisturbed and quiet flow of air. I would put the purchase of a new helmet last on the list. My full face Shoei's have been the most quiet. There's a huge different between them and any of the flip-up designs I've owned. Good luck.

The stock shield sucked for me. Way too noisy, even with earplugs. With the VStream I could adjust it to be the quietest, smoothest flow I have ever had without needing to look through it.

But there is the heat issue, so I took my stock shield and cut it down to size. This is not as quiet as the VStream, but is on par with other bikes like the VFR or wife's SV650, and is tons better than stock.

But in the end, it comes down to earplugs, and putting them in correctly, no matter which shield I use.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

This is the most important bit from https://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm :

While still rolling, use your other hand to reach over your head and pull up and back on your outer ear. This is important! This straightens the ear canal, making way for a snug fit. Sometimes it helps to hold your mouth and throat open whilst inserting the earplugs.

In my case, not so much of the holding my mouth open, but pulling up on the top of the ear is needed to get the plugs properly inserted.

No experience w/ Gen II, but with Gen I windshields you could get a Rifle tuning block - cleans up the airflow tremendously without blocking the air. Before I got a real one, I ran the homemade version for about 3 years (2 ~5/8 inch teflon washers under the "W" to tip the stock shield into a better position. If it doesn't work, it'll only cost you the $2.50 you blew on longer bolts and plastic washers (unlike cutting on your shield as a first option).

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll give those earplugs another try and check out those helmets.
Too long ago I had an '86 FJ1200. Someone recomended I should put the stock windshield back on, because of the "LOOK". BIG MISTAKE! I was just before a long ride of a couple of days ending with a long ride down Hwy 5 in North CA. The wind was coming off the top of the fairig and right at the bottom edge of my helmet. When we got to a restaurant/break I could hardly hear my friends.

I've been getting "Heros" foam plugs from Walgreens for years now. Still don't always get them in "right" at the first, but, I can tell immeadiately if they are not. Either when I start the engine, or tonal sounds while getting ready to go. I don't ride anywhere for any length of time without ear plugs. Try Heros plugs and just keep plugging!

It aint perfect, but it's close. Beats tinnitus.
Gives me something to listen to when I'm bored ;-)

Plus, if we ever get socialized healthcare here, I can claim it as my disability, take my money, and ride instead of work :yahoo:

I ordered a trial kit of ear plugs from Here and these were the best for me.

I have to make sure to roll the tip really tight, and make sure it gets into the ear canal. I personally don't have to lift up my ear, I stick the ear plug in and give it a twist until it finds the canal. Like previously said, I can tell pretty quickly if it's in right now. I did fight with cheap wal-mart ear plugs for a while until I got this sample pack. When I use up the rest of the trials, I'm going to order a bunch of the Laser Lite's.