Windscreens

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridepastu

Reaction score
I'm sure like some of you we are in a quest to find the perfect (or atleast close) solution to the wind buffetting that plaques this fine motorcycle. One of the main problems is that the rider sits so far away from the windscreen therefore it creates a larger area of air to gather. Unlike sportbikes (and speaking from experience) that you sit so close to the screen that it is actually quieter. How is that possable from such a small screen. With the exception of wind at your shoulders and in a semi tucked position your helmet and body completes the aero dynamics of the motorcycle. Now I didnt want to get off course and preach something that most of you already know.

After spending my money on various screens i.e. Cal-sci, Rifle, V-stream, Yami Touring, and the Laminar lip. All are good screens and have their purpose and I'm sure some of you FJR pilots have your favorate. But Their has to be something better. I know that their are topics about ear plugs and the type of helmet plays a HUGE role in wind noise. But once again their has to be something better.

I came upon a website www.saeng.com check it out and look at the micro swirl edging and the wing tip. Might be something to experiment with. As of now I am waiting for the MRA lip, that is mounted to the windscreen. Same concept as the laminar lip as it creates a stream of air. With the adjustability of this foil and the screen it self I might be able to "manage" the air as opposed to pushing air thus creating the wind roar associated with large screens. I hope that this was helpful and good luck.

Mike

Dunno. I have a Cee Bailey 4X4 and experiance no buffeting what so ever..sheild up or down.

I am 5'9" and wear a Shoei RF1000 helmet.

I have however considered trying the Saeng edging...mostly for water channeling, but think the stuff is a bit overpriced. I used "regular" neoprene edging on a diffrent bike and it worked well in this regard for only 50 cents a foot.

So, buffeting is a problem for some it seems , but I would not call it a "plague" (or plaques if you like..)

KM

Dunno. I have a Cee Bailey 4X4 and experiance no buffeting what so ever..sheild up or down.
I am 5'9" and wear a Shoei RF1000 helmet.

I have however considered trying the Saeng edging...mostly for water channeling, but think the stuff is a bit overpriced. I used "regular" neoprene edging on a diffrent bike and it worked well in this regard for only 50 cents a foot.

So, buffeting is a problem for some it seems , but I would not call it a "plague" (or plaques if you like..)

KM
what about the wind roar. Seems like with v-stream I got a lot of wind roaring. Was not a fan, but do favor the rifle. I have yet tried the cee bailey. Some prefer this screen with the flip

what about the wind roar. Seems like with v-stream I got a lot of wind roaring. Was not a fan, but do favor the rifle. I have yet tried the cee bailey. Some prefer this screen with the flip

I did not get the "flip" as I also was buying the screen to help direct wind over my wifes head too...so I just got the +4 instead of a +2 (in height)

I think do to the frontal area of the bike, even if you took the screen off completely you'd still get alot of "wind roar" due to the air coming off the front of the bike..

I just raise the sheild until it goes away. Which works out to the top of the screen being right below eye level. If you think that having it at eye level would bother you, the one with the flip would be the way to go as it can go a bit lower and still direct the air over your helmets visor.

I have to admit now that it is cold here (34 this morning) I ride with the screen all the way up. No wind, no noise, no buffeting. I'm looking through the shield and the top of it is almost even with the top of my helmet.

KM

I'm with Knifemaker. I rode this morning (also St. Louis, also very cold) and just appreciated the V-Stream that much more. The V-Stream created a tremendous improvement over stock in terms of noise and buffeting. I only wear earplugs for extended rides now - not for commuting, etc. Also wear a RF1000 and am 6'.

I came upon a website www.saeng.com check it out and look at the micro swirl edging and the wing tip. Might be something to experiment with.Mike
Mike, thanks for sharing but it's been used for years. It works for some and creates mor vortices for others. There are just too many variables to find windshield nirvanna for every individual.

Many of us have experimented with tooo many solutions.....I hope yours works for you.

I came upon a website www.saeng.com check it out and look at the micro swirl edging and the wing tip. Might be something to experiment with.Mike
Mike, thanks for sharing but it's been used for years. It works for some and creates mor vortices for others. There are just too many variables to find windshield nirvanna for every individual.

Many of us have experimented with tooo many solutions.....I hope yours works for you.
Hey Mad Mike, mind if I ask you what you use

Hey Mad Mike, mind if I ask you what you use
1st, some qualifications: Gen I, 6'2" x 32" inseam, Russell seat (it's 1" taller), 1" handlebar risers.

2nd, what I've tried in the past: OEM, Oversize Yamaha w/ Laminar Lip, CeeBailey +4+4 with flip, CeeBailey +4+3 standard contour, Skyway spacers under all combinations, CalSci extra tall.

Of all the above windshields and combinations, the CalSci was the absolute best! For the first time since Sept. '03, I was riding in a "bubble" of clear air. I could ride without earplugs!

However, I live in an area where we suffer through insufferable Summer heat, and I ride in the 100+ degree temps.

The CalSci didn't allow enough air into the cockpit to satisfy me, so I continued by search and experimentation.

Currently I am using a CeeBailey +4+2 (4" taller/2"wider) with a Vario adjustable windshield spoiler (linked here). I've modified it by using a piece of an old (broken) windshield that matches. It is adjustable so I can change the pitch of the spoiler as well as the height as I raise or lower my windshield.

So far, it is the best I've found! It blocks plenty of cold air (So far, nothing below 38 degrees, but it works.). It allows me to lower the windshield and the spoiler and get fresh ambient air on the front of my helmet. When in the raised position (I normally run with it betweeen 1/2 and 2/3 raised) it is as quiet as the CalSci was. In fact, I rode to NAFO and back home (3500+ miles) with no ear plugs.

Here are some pictures:

This is looking through the cockpit of my bike at Bluestreek at The Sign:

NorCalHwy36to96019.jpg

Here's a picture I took looking through the windshield and Vario linkage so you get some idea of how it works:

NorCalHwy36to96028.jpg

TWN Symbology photo...I have my gloves held in place between the Vario and the windshield:

TWNSymbology009.jpg

Again....this works for me. We all have different needs and desires.

Good luck on your challenge to find what's best for you.