Windshield Extender

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moosehead

Reaction score
I'm like a lot of you guys with the dilema of riding in the breeze with ear plugs or riding in a quiet zone behind a larger aftermarket windshield. Maybe we can have both depending on the day and our moods. I want to run fast on a hot day and wear my ear plugs, no problem. I want to put on some long miles and listen to my tunes, also no problem. And I want to accomplish this with the minimum of expense.......No problem!

I went to our local junk/surplus store and picked up a piece of Lexan for $7. (They actually charge $5/lb) It is 1/8" X 16" X 42" with a blue plastic protective coating on each side.

Next I made up a paper template of what I think might work for my height. If I duck down about 2" I can find the elusive quiet zone. I traced out my pattern and used a carbide burr and my air grinder (but a Dremmel tool would also work) to cut out the rough shape. I tried using a jig saw but it was too rough for the Lexan and it kept cracking. I could have sandwiched it between 2 pieces of plywood but the burr worked realy well, kind of half cutting and half melting.

IMGP0035-2.jpg

IMGP0037.jpg

I finished it off using files and my air sander. The slots are just over .250" wide to allow the 1/4" carriage bolt to slide.

IMGP0039.jpg

Next I VERY CARFULLY used the carbide burr to cut/melt a hole in the stock windshield and opened it up to clear for the 1/4 carriage bolt. I put duct tape on both sides to help prevent cracking and I chamfered both sides for the same reason. I don't think a drill would have made the hole without cracking it.

IMGP0038.jpg

This is the finished install. It took about 1.5 hours from start to finish and cost <$10 including the hardware. I'm still knee deep in snow here, so I haven't tried it yet. I have enough Lexan left to make at least 3 more, so if it isn't tall enough I can make another. Adjustments are as simple as loosening the wing nuts and sliding the extender up or down. If something unexpected happens like it whistles or vibrates, I'm only out $10 and have 2 lightening holes in my windshield.

IMGP0040.jpg

Slick idea, I'll keep an eye on this to see how it turns out when you ride.

Hope it works great :clapping:

Chuck

Great idea. No reason in the world it shouldn't work fine. If you get any whistling, noise, etc, you could also try some thicker nylon spacers between it and the stock windshield to create more air space.

Keep us posted.

--G