Windshield & faceshield cleaner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USDC Rider

Reaction score
Just bought a new FJR, my first bike with a windshield. I clean it off with a soft rag and H2O only before parking it for the night. I am being very careful since I don't want to create scratches. Are there cleaners made specifically for windshields & helmet faceshields that would do a better job?.

Just bought a new FJR, my first bike with a windshield. I clean it off with a soft rag and H2O only before parking it for the night. I am being very careful since I don't want to create scratches. Are there cleaners made specifically for windshields & helmet faceshields that would do a better job?.
Good Luck with trying to keep scratches off. I think the rag may be the biggest cause, I use one of those new fangled 3M cloths. But, I swear to you, just riding through the air causes more scratches than anything else!

In addition to many bits of motorcycle info, Cal Sci sells windshields and they have their own "secret formula" you can make at home.

I put their secret formula in one of those $0.25 3 oz atomizer plastic bottles. I put it and a microfiber towel in my tank bag and take it on trips to clean our face shields whenever we stop.

I use a cheap form of pledge available at the Dollar Store, but one tip, no matter what you use is to ALWAYS rub on/off in a top to bottom fasion. Not side to side. The inevitable scratch isn't as noticable in sunlight.

At the end of a long day's ride, I carry a cheap towel, which I soak in hot water and lay on the shield. Wait 5 or 10 minutes then remove. DO NOT TOUCH THE SCREEN WITH THIS CHEAP TOWEL AGAIN!!! It is only intended to soften the grime and dead bugs.

Next, a micro fiber or soft cotton and Plexus or Honda spray cleaner or other similar product works well. NEVER CLEAN IN CIRCLES!!!! Straight lines only.

I also use Raincoat (a plastic/polycarb-safe alternative to Rain-X; NEVER USE Rain-X on your shield!!!), which does a great job of clearing water, but also seems to make it easier to clean the shield, as bugs don't stick quite as stubbornly

At the end of a long day's ride, I carry a cheap towel, which I soak in hot water and lay on the shield. Wait 5 or 10 minutes then remove. DO NOT TOUCH THE SCREEN WITH THIS CHEAP TOWEL AGAIN!!! It is only intended to soften the grime and dead bugs.
Next, a micro fiber or soft cotton and Plexus or Honda spray cleaner or other similar product works well. NEVER CLEAN IN CIRCLES!!!! Straight lines only.

I also use Raincoat (a plastic/polycarb-safe alternative to Rain-X; NEVER USE Rain-X on your shield!!!), which does a great job of clearing water, but also seems to make it easier to clean the shield, as bugs don't stick quite as stubbornly
The rain-X thing makes sense Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Plexus and a microfiber towel. Keep the towel clean.

Me too.
Me three.

At least when my FJR was young lad and I actually was concerned about it's cleanliness.

Now it's sporting some REALLY big gouges from my NAFO floor routine so the plethora of insects that have committed hari-kari have not died in vain - they help to cover up those gouges and scratches.

At the end of a long day's ride, I carry a cheap towel, which I soak in hot water and lay on the shield.

I find the absolute best towels to use for this function are the paper thin, cheap ass, always white towels available in motel rooms across the US. I always wonder what the maids think when they pick mine up off the bathroom floor with all the bug guts inside... :blink: :p

At the end of a long day's ride, I carry a cheap towel, which I soak in hot water and lay on the shield.

... white towels available in motel rooms across the US. I always wonder what the maids think when ...
I am sure the bug gutz are some of the least scary items they have found in the towels. :D

Most of the bike-friendly hotels offer their worst old towels free so you don't use the fresh ones on your bug guts.

Never hurts to ask at the desk for one.