Windshield Screws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feejer/Weejer man

Reaction score
Anyone had the heads of the windshields screws pop off? Just had two heads pop off since I last took the windshield off to change from the V-Stream back to the CB flip about two months ago. I have an '03 and have tried a few shields but I am the happiest with the CB. Where can I get some screws from somewhere that has them in stock? Or does someone have a fix with other than oem stuff. Thanks Mike in Fremont, Ca.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're probably torquing them too tight.

Gary at University motors.....like most parts for the FJR is a great source.

You don't have extra on hand?

Those things are a perishable item. ALWAYS have some spares on hand, especially if you know you are going to change shields.

I have gotten pretty good at the procedure, so don't overtorque/pop the heads off or strip the phillips pattern much anymore, however, I recently helped swap out a windscreen on another FJR that had been on for quite a long time and managed to pop the heads off 3 or 4 of the screws while re-installing. So I am confident in saying they lose some strength as they age and harden.

Of course, I had a bunch of spares on hand, so no problemo!

Once again, Mike at U-Motors is your friend.

Also, due to an 'oopsie' that was not my damned fault! I had to find three replacements while on the road. A trip to Ace hardware and I found stainless alternatives that were close in length and addes some washers. As soon as I got home to my stash, back on went the nylon OEM type.

Thanks guys. i knew someone had to have this happen. I will order a handful and keep the old ones as emergency spares. How tight? I just tighten til the screw snugs up and it gets a little harder to turn them. What about the back nut? Do you have extras on hand or are those pretty much a non issue? Thanks Mike in Fremont, Ca.

How tight? I just tighten til the screw snugs up and it gets a little harder to turn them. What about the back nut? Do you have extras on hand or are those pretty much a non issue?
I don't tighten them that far....I think. I don't know if there's an actual torque. I tighten them just until I think the threads have bottomed out and it's almost like there's no change in tension. The goal is only to have the windshield non-floppy.

Haven't broken one yet myself with the light tension...however I have stripped two heads because I didn't use a very flattering screwdriver.

I have two nuts as backup....since I had to pay shipping to UMotors anyway...it was worth getting a couple.

I just ordered 10 from U-Motors to have on hand but I really want a metal equivalent.

All the bikes I have ever had came with metal screws to attach the windshield, heck some evan had rather heavy bolts.

I read all the threads about the windshield being able to pop off in a get off but I can't imagine that if it was such a safety hazzard no other manufacturer (at least that I have personal knowledge of) has gone to plastic screws

JMHO

stormrider

I read all the threads about the windshield being able to pop off in a get off but I can't imagine that if it was such a safety hazzard no other manufacturer (at least that I have personal knowledge of) has gone to plastic screws JMHO
Or maybe it's evidence that Yamaha has it right and other manufacturers are engaged in a conspiracy to kill us to save a penny....as a few board members might have us believe. :ph34r: ;) ;) (Note smileyfaces....nothing at all directed to you storm)

Since it hasn't come up recently...the thread Stormrider is likely referring to that talks about stock plastic over metal.

It's nice to have choices! ;)

Lockhart Phillips sells a nylon windscreen screw kit with wellnuts. Part # 101-101 $5.95 - includes 8 screws and wellnuts.

They also have aluminum windscreen screw kits with wellnuts. Part #101-128 (black...other colors are available). $7.99 - includes 8 screws and wellnuts.

Most bikeshops get Lockhart Phillips stuff...look closely...they might already have them in stock.

I made the swap to the aluminum ones 2 years ago (also used some blue loctite) and haven't touched them since. I know some folks say you shouldn't replace the plastic ones with nylon ones, but, everyone's gotta die from something.