Windshield Suggestion for Short Guy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zkellogg

Reaction score
I'm 5'10" with a 29" inseam riding a 2006 FJR with seat in the low position. I guess my point is that the stock windshield is about the right height. When it's warm out the windshield is not a problem, I ussually raise it just enough to keep the wind off my chest, but leave my entire helmet in fresh air to keep cool. When it's cold or I am on the interstate for prolonged time I raise the shield, the wind noise (pitch?) and the low pressure that makes my head feel like it's floating is really annoying. It sounds like the VStream is the shield to get, but I'm really worried that at 4" taller it will be way too tall for me. Any advice you guys and gals might have would be appreciated.

I'm your height and I have the Cee Bailey +4 +2 and love it. I think I'd be better off with the +2 instead of the +4, but I'm still happy. I leave it all the way down 99% of the time. No buffeting and some clean air flow over the helmet. If it's cold or raining, I raise it up a couple of inches - I can still see over it fine and it keeps the rain off my face shield. Much quieter than the stock shield.

I'm 5'10" with a 29" inseam riding a 2006 FJR with seat in the low position. I guess my point is that the stock windshield is about the right height. When it's warm out the windshield is not a problem, I ussually raise it just enough to keep the wind off my chest, but leave my entire helmet in fresh air to keep cool. When it's cold or I am on the interstate for prolonged time I raise the shield, the wind noise (pitch?) and the low pressure that makes my head feel like it's floating is really annoying. It sounds like the VStream is the shield to get, but I'm really worried that at 4" taller it will be way too tall for me. Any advice you guys and gals might have would be appreciated.
I know what you mean. I have not ridden in any inclement weather yet, but I normally raise it up a bit to take some wind off my chest. I have raised it to the highest position and it is horrible! Buffeting & noise just makes it uncomfortable to ride. My Shoei helmet is loud enough - but I am hesitant to start buying shields just to buy shields. Look enough on this forum and you will find positive and a negative opinion for just about anything you can bolt or strap to your bike.

I'd like to upgrade - but I'll wait a bit longer until I can possibly try one out first.

Short guy? I'm 5' 6" so you're tall to me. :) I have an 05' with a V-Stream and it's not too tall at all. I can look over it at all but the very highest position. It's a great screen, juts a little hot in the summer as even the down position has pretty extensive coverage. In the 1/2 to fully up position the "pocket" is simply amazing. I also like how clear the screen is near the edges. I normally can't stand to look through a screen near the edges, but this one is so distortion free that I don't even notice when I'm doing it. The stock Yamaha screen and my Givi flip make me nuts in that regard. My brain registers screen distortion as road hazards and makes me very jumpy. All is relaxed with the V Stream unless it's 100 degrees outisde, then it's a sweaty sort of relaxation....

Craig

Short guy? I'm 5' 6" so you're tall to me. :) I have an 05' with a V-Stream and it's not too tall at all. I can look over it at all but the very highest position. It's a great screen, juts a little hot in the summer as even the down position has pretty extensive coverage. In the 1/2 to fully up position the "pocket" is simply amazing. I also like how clear the screen is near the edges. I normally can't stand to look through a screen near the edges, but this one is so distortion free that I don't even notice when I'm doing it. The stock Yamaha screen and my Givi flip make me nuts in that regard. My brain registers screen distortion as road hazards and makes me very jumpy. All is relaxed with the V Stream unless it's 100 degrees outisde, then it's a sweaty sort of relaxation....

Craig

It seems that the general concensus on the board is that the Vstream is by far the most effective shield. Problem is, I live in Alabama, 3-5 months a year a really tall screen is going to make riding extremely unpleasant. Seems like all my problems would be solved if they made a +2 VStream, but alas, no luck.

Thanks for the replies!

another vote for the cee bailey. I am 5'8" and have the +0 wide +2 tall with flip. Works great and does not look near as 'large' as the vstream.

It seems that the general concensus on the board is that the Vstream is by far the most effective shield. Problem is, I live in Alabama, 3-5 months a year a really tall screen is going to make riding extremely unpleasant. Seems like all my problems would be solved if they made a +2 VStream, but alas, no luck.
Thanks for the replies!
I hear ya, the V Stream can be warm, I'd probably not run it if I lived in the Alabama climate...

Craig

another vote for the cee bailey. I am 5'8" and have the +0 wide +2 tall with flip. Works great and does not look near as 'large' as the vstream.
Gunny

I have the identical Cee Bailey shield and also the Vstream. The Vstream requires raising it until I'm almost looking through it to get calm air. The CB can be much lower and still have calm air. The flip is key to this! The main advantage to the Vstream is additional width, but you can order the CB in any width you like. If I had it to do over, I'd order a larger flip shield from CB rather than the Vstream.

BTW, I ride a Gen II bike (makes a difference because shield comparisons can't be made from gen I to gen II) and am 5'11" with 32" inseam. My seat is in the low position and I normally ride in a slouched position, so my effective height is less than my measured height indicates.

It seems that the stock shield, in temperatures of 85 degrees or higher, draws a lot of warm air into the rider "compartment" when the shield is in the up-most position - forces you to lower it to get some cool air... Do the other windshields address this air-management issue differently than the stock shield, allowing them to be run in the taller positions to get "quiet air" zone, but still allow adequate ventilation?

This additonal heat issue is as important as getting the "quiet air" zone. At 5'-10", I am also looking for quiet air WITHOUT the additional warm air pulling in from the engine/cat/radiator, etc. I think I read about someone cutting their windshield to accept the optional vent from a Gold Wing - can't recall the outcome.

It seems that the stock shield, in temperatures of 85 degrees or higher, draws a lot of warm air into the rider "compartment" when the shield is in the up-most position - forces you to lower it to get some cool air... Do the other windshields address this air-management issue differently than the stock shield, allowing them to be run in the taller positions to get "quiet air" zone, but still allow adequate ventilation?
This additonal heat issue is as important as getting the "quiet air" zone. At 5'-10", I am also looking for quiet air WITHOUT the additional warm air pulling in from the engine/cat/radiator, etc. I think I read about someone cutting their windshield to accept the optional vent from a Gold Wing - can't recall the outcome.
You know that's an interesting concept. I never really considered that the shape of the shield may be trapping warm air. I ASSumed that I'd want cool air flowing over my helmet in warm weather to take advantage of the helmet vents. Alas, more food for thought. I must say though at this point I'm leaning towards a Cee Baily +2 +2, still haven't pulled the trigger though.