Windshields 06 vs prior

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
Is it mostly just a bolt pattern change?

Has anyone tried to adopt a 02-05 windshield to fit an 06? Know if it's possible?

I'm thinking that drilling new holes isn't rocket science if that's all it amounts too and there are a heck of a lot more used of the older variety available.

Thoughts?

Don't do it!!!!!!

You are going to make an irrepairable tear in the universe as we know it!

PS - If the world is still around when you do it, let us know if it works.

From what I remember looking at FJRFencer's '06 vs. my '05, they are completely different shapes. If you are looking for something different, I would suggest one of the aftermarket shields made for the year model bike you have. ie: V-Stream, Cal-Sci, Rifle,

I think there was a post about Rifle having one already for the '06.

edit: rifle for '06

Last edited by a moderator:
When I looked at 04's and 05's at EOM they didn't jump out at me as being _that_ different, hence the question. Certainly if I was going to buy new I'd buy the right model year.

But if I could save some dough and retro fit an 04/05 screen I'd like to do that too.

'03-'05 are the same, but the '06 is different.
Thanks Scab, that's helpful... :rolleyes:

Yeah, ok, so what's different? Just the bolt hole pattern for mounting? I know Yamaha changed the windshield angle a bit but is that all?

The shape is also different. If I remember correctly from FJRFencers, there are 2 fairly sharp verticle bends in the shield whereas the earlier ones are gently curved only.

The shape is also different. If I remember correctly from FJRFencers, there are 2 fairly sharp verticle bends in the shield whereas the earlier ones are gently curved only.
Yes, and so are a lot of the aftermarket screens :) Granted the earlier screens are typically 'smoother' but I think they are all pretty _flat_ around the mounting area so I don't think that would have an impact on mounting.

Also if a shape is proven to work on the prior models, the after market guys aren't going to reinvent the wheel for the 06's they are most likely to take what works and fix the mount are they not?

So if one can adapt an earlier screen to fit and save some dough why not? I'm just asking if anyone's done it.