Windshields

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did lots of research and just ordered a Rifle. When it arrives and I have some time to evaluate it, I will post and let everyone know what I think. I had a rifle on another bike and it was great.

I have the Yammi touring screen. It servied it's purpose during the cold weather rides, but I am not real happy with it With it all the way up in clean air it is fine, but as soon as the air is turbulant the buffeting is annoying. I will be going back to the stock shield this weekend for the warm weather season. I would really like to try a rifle or Vstream. Rifle seems to be the choice of most here, though.

................................... I would really like to try a rifle or Vstream. Rifle seems to be the choice of most here, though.
Really? I'd like to see a poll because it seems like most like the V-Stream to me.

On 1st gens, some of us that have tried too many windshields end up with a rifle. Or two.

In my case, it's two. I have a Rifle sport for spring/fall, a Rifle touring for the real cold and a stock that I mount on the rifle tuning block for heat of summer. I have also tried a Vstream (unimpressive and way too big) and Calsci, as well as Ahamay touring (which is OK). Have not tried a Cee Bailey.

Everyone seems to want a bigger windshield. IMO, you're going about this all wrong.

Try a shorter than stock windshield, at least in the warm weather. Your helmet will be out in clean, turbulence-free air. You'll get a bit of lift at the shoulders which relieves the pressure from the wrists. The bike will feel generally more sporty, which is as it should be -- it's not a Goldwing after all! :D

I bought my 2006 slightly used at the end of 2006. It came with 3 different windshields; the stocker, a larger Calsci, and a shorter smoked CB. I tried the stocker first. Sux. Too much turbulence on the helmet no matter where I set it. Then I tried the Calsci. It would be fine for winter, but I don't ride much in the winter. When summer of 2007 came around, I decided there just wasn't enough airflow behind that big screen to keep cool, so I put the short smoked CB on before taking off on a 2000 mile trip. That was quite a revelation and I haven't had any of the others on there since.

Here's a picture (that's a friend of mine on the bike, I'm not quite as stocky as he is):

NotDirtBike.jpg

-Uwe-

Rifle - just put one on my 09 and I can't believe the difference. I wanted a smooth quiet ride at speed, especially highway speeds, and I wanted the option of lowering the screen to feel the air.

Like others have said though - it's personal choice - what works for some, is useless to others. The biggest factor seems to be your size and how you fit in relation to the handlebars and your line of sight with the top of the screen. I think that's why there's so much variation in preferences for windscreens.

Anyway, like I said, for I wanted, the Rifle +5+4 worked for me.

ian

The Stanford-type aerodynamicists at California Scientific introduced windshield vents to reduce the low-pressure-area buffeting years ago. It seems that Yamaha has taken a page from the playbook of the boys at CalSci and added them to the 2010 models:

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/airManagement.aspx

Might be something to consider when you're looking to upgrade windscreens...

CalSci.com

The Stanford-type aerodynamicists at California Scientific introduced windshield vents to reduce the low-pressure-area buffeting years ago. It seems that Yamaha has taken a page from the playbook of the boys at CalSci and added them to the 2010 models:
https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/airManagement.aspx

Might be something to consider when you're looking to upgrade windscreens...

CalSci.com
Yamaha cut that area out as of the 06' models. And the more i think of it the negative pressure that we think is happening is prolly no more than than the natural lean forward weight that occurs as we lose the air support of the shield in the down position when we raise it. Hence,.. even more of a reason to get a set of Heli risers, adjust you riding position, and spend some time on you'r ab/back muscle groups. Most of us just don't feel the same way about riding that we did 20 years ago.

Don't really know where i'm going with this so i'll stop rambling but do think i'll order a Rifel as many see it as an improvement over stock.

DB

Jill,

What do you want to improve or change, windscreen wise?

Some are trying for a totally quiet pocket of air in the riders position. This results in 'barn door' size screens, often Rifle w/tuning blocks, (a good quality screen and design offered in several sizes to vary with rider size).

Some want to deal with excessive back pressure that results when the stock screen is all the way up. The simplest way to deal with this is to put the screen down some. There is a sweet spot for each rider, but this is certainly a compromise of protection Vs back pressure.

Other options are the Yamaha Touring screen which is essentially the same shape, but taller. The Givi screen is only slightly taller, but has a small flip at the top to aid in reducing back pressure and it is wider at the top of the screen which offers more protection to the shoulders.

Depending on what you want to address, the forum can offer suggestions. There is no one perfect screen.

Last edited by a moderator: