Windshields...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3529

Reaction score
Spent several hours now reading through posts regarding windshields. I noticed a couple things: Everybody likes the "...personal preference..." response, a lot of the posts were about a year old, many folks didn't list their height, and many people did not list the year of their bike.

This leads me to my question...can I get some feedback from folks on what screens they like and why? I'm currently looking at the v-stream (mostly) or a rifle sport or a calsci medium. I don't want a barn door, I just want a quieter ride. Thanks for your help in advance, I really appreciate it!

Oh...and I have an '05...look I almost forgot what I was griping about other people leaving out!! Oops...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'11", 230# and ride an 04'.

I've used stock, a CB+2+4 W/Flip (Hated that one) and V-Stream. I'm happy with the V-Stream.

So that's one vote for vstream and one for calsci...anybody else? And for OrangevaleFJR, what didn't you like about the vstream? What size calsci did you run?

I had my mind set on the V-Stream.

Waited a year for it to be released for my '06.

Waited some more while they corrected the screw hole placement.

Finally got it in April and am very pleased!

Used to have to wear earplugs with the stock shield.

No longer need to w/ the V-Stream!

Really good pricing from U-Motors in Fargo, ND ($136 incl. s/h to CA)

I'm 5' 11'' and I purchased the Yamaha touring screen. Other than stock, it is the only screen I have tried.

I am very pleased with it. With it fully up I can ride with my helmet visor up and it is very quiet.

With it all the way down, I get plenty of breeze and no buffeting.

I would buy it again.

I like what.

I also run the stock shield but have modified it by cutting holes in the lower portion similar to the calsci screen.

148_4809.jpg

It smoothed out the airflow, reduced backpressure, and made for a more comfortable hot weather ride. I still need earplugs and find that at full up position I get a high frequency buffeting but I typically ride with the screen in the lower half of its range.

I had my mind set on the V-Stream. Waited a year for it to be released for my '06.

Waited some more while they corrected the screw hole placement.

Finally got it in April and am very pleased!

Used to have to wear earplugs with the stock shield.

No longer need to w/ the V-Stream!

Really good pricing from U-Motors in Fargo, ND ($136 incl. s/h to CA)
Ditto that, it was worth the wait(6', 230 lb). Although I have swithched back to stock for extra flow in the summer heat.

I have the CalSci XL on my 07. I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam and ride with the seat in the high position. I will give the shield a C+. It is much better than stock for protection, but fit and finish are pretty rough. With the shield 3/4 of the way up seems to be the best for me. Not much is gained by going all the way up.

I would actually like the shield better without the cut out. It whistles, which I find annoying. The blast of air that comes through the vent has a tendency to want to lift my shirt which ain't pretty. I tried putting tape over the vent and liked the results much better. With the vent covered, the whistle went away and my shirt stayed down. I didn't notice any back pressure.

If I decide to try another windshield it will probably be the Yamaha touring screen.

I have a CalSci medium, I like it a lot. Now I can hear the engine instead of all the buffetting with the stock one. I am 6'1" -196lbs.

I would actually like the shield better without the cut out. It whistles, which I find annoying. The blast of air that comes through the vent has a tendency to want to lift my shirt which ain't pretty.
ATGATT and you wouldn't have the lift problem with your shield.

I'm kind of leaning to the vstream side of this. Sounds like people are quite satisfied with them, plus I'm only about 2 hours from Fargo and U Motors. How much bigger is it than a stock '05 screen?

I'm kind of leaning to the vstream side of this. Sounds like people are quite satisfied with them, plus I'm only about 2 hours from Fargo and U Motors. How much bigger is it than a stock '05 screen?
Oh its big, and its ugly, but its fantastic for touring, long trips, highway, and two up. No need for earplugs, can hear the intercom and music much easier...I'm a big fan. For the summer its the sport shield from cbailey. (5'10'' 180 all muscle)

V-Stream

MotorcycleAVATAR.jpg

Sport

IMG_2021.JPG

I was kinda' hoping to avoid big and ugly! I do some highway riding but with a 5 month old son I have no big trips planned so I'm basically just trying to find something with less turbulance than the stock shield. Has anybody tried the Rifle Sport screen? I like the looks of it but I haven't seen many posts about Rifle in general and the ones that I have found they are all the Touring size. I was also looking at the medium CalSci with the tuning blocks I've seen people posting about on here, the only thing is that the Rifle comes with their tuning block for less than $150 which is cheaper than the CalSci by itself. Any thoughts on this?

I put my V-Stream on my 07 FJR tonight and I'm very impressed - I'm 6'3, 35" inseam - took her down the pike tonight at 75mph, screen up most of the way and nearly dead silence complared to stock sheild - I really likey!

I'm 6 ft and ride with the cal sci medium on my 05. Had the tall and didn't like it. Too tall, only ran with it down all the way. With the medium, I can run with it down and get air in the face or up part way for complete blocking. And it doesn't look to bad, good lines.

I was kinda' hoping to avoid big and ugly! I do some highway riding but with a 5 month old son I have no big trips planned so I'm basically just trying to find something with less turbulance than the stock shield. Has anybody tried the Rifle Sport screen? I like the looks of it but I haven't seen many posts about Rifle in general and the ones that I have found they are all the Touring size. I was also looking at the medium CalSci with the tuning blocks I've seen people posting about on here, the only thing is that the Rifle comes with their tuning block for less than $150 which is cheaper than the CalSci by itself. Any thoughts on this?
I absolutely love my Rifle.It is the touring model.Can now hear my wife on the intercom and it is just a dead quiet ride.I installed it without the tuning block.It looks great too.No holes either!I use the tuning block on the stock shield wich is about the same size as their sport model.Reduces the buffeting a lot.It will not break the bank either!

I absolutely love my Rifle.It is the touring model.Can now hear my wife on the intercom and it is just a dead quiet ride.I installed it without the tuning block.It looks great too.No holes either!I use the tuning block on the stock shield wich is about the same size as their sport model.Reduces the buffeting a lot.It will not break the bank either!
It looks like you have your Rifle on an '04? How much taller is the touring screen than the stock? Their website says 3 3/4 taller and 1" lower, so I've been wondering if that then makes the shield 2 3/4" taller when mounted, or if it is actually 3 3/4" taller AND 1" lower. Have you measured?

Spent several hours now reading through posts regarding windshields. I noticed a couple things: Everybody likes the "...personal preference..." response, a lot of the posts were about a year old, many folks didn't list their height, and many people did not list the year of their bike.

Interesting discussion. Until a few days ago, I was OK with the stock shield. I'm 5'2" with 26" inseam. The bike is lowered by almost an inch.

Yesterday, we went through some unexpected cold weather, so I put the screen up to divert the air flow. It throws a fair bit of engine heat back onto my legs. For some reason, I ducked my head down a couple of inches and Wow! what a difference. I was behind the screen instead of in the deflected airstream.

I wonder what height of rider Mama-Yama had in mind when the stock screen was designed? Can't be many shorter than me.

Jill

Interesting discussion. Until a few days ago, I was OK with the stock shield. I'm 5'2" with 26" inseam. The bike is lowered by almost an inch.

Yesterday, we went through some unexpected cold weather, so I put the screen up to divert the air flow. It throws a fair bit of engine heat back onto my legs. For some reason, I ducked my head down a couple of inches and Wow! what a difference. I was behind the screen instead of in the deflected airstream.

I wonder what height of rider Mama-Yama had in mind when the stock screen was designed? Can't be many shorter than me.

Jill

Jill