Winter Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
I am fine with riding in 40 degree weather, my feet however, are not.

Any recommendations on a good boot that doesn't look like a racing boot.

I don't really like the SIDI and Alpinestars that look like this

sidi boots

Also it doesn't have to be waterproof, just warm.

Perennial annual question that will likely get a lot of ideas from entering +winter +boot into the search area.

That said, I wear the same boots as summer with some Thorlo socks. Oxtar Matrix. Combined with the Widders I'm good down to 15-20 degrees for extended rides.

Others swear by the addition of foot guards.

I have the prior version of these perforated boots that I ride year round in Chicago. Rode in a range between 25 to 110 and no problem. During winter I put an extra sock on and that is it. And trust me I can't stand cold.

00000390.jpg

Oh, and that riding was on a less protective FZ1.

I wear Bates duty boots, which are fairly light weight, whenever I ride. I just tuck my feet in closer to the bike to keep them warm in the cold weather. They are out of the cold breeze and get some heat from the engine.

I find that a good pair of wool socks are all I need. Perhaps the 06 delivers more heat to the lower leg than previous models, but in 40 degree temps, my merino wool socks from Wal Mart and my normal footwear keep my feet comfortable. You can always go for these:

https://tinyurl.com/yj6yxd

I know they used to make 'electic socks" but pulled most of them off the market because they were catching fire...(now that would keep you warm..) , seems they have a few back on the market again..not sure how effective they are

The foot guards are likely your best bet to start with, if warmer socks don't help you.

KM

The consensus is pretty much obvious.......as long as you have a good quality boot ( I happen to have the Oxtar Matrix ) it's your choice of socks that will make the biggest difference in comfort on cold days. There are many great socks out there. I get mine at various hiking shops or ski shops.

Oh, and lets not forget Michael Jackson socks :D :D :D Stay with me a minute. They are extremely thin made out of synthetic material and have silver , even thinner, metal cable that is running through them. You put them directly against your skin and regular socks over them. Metal links warm up using your own heat and keep you warm. I bought them at the Motorcycle shop in Lions IL if I am not mistaken and have been using them for years now.

Oh, and lets not forget Michael Jackson socks :D :D :D Stay with me a minute. They are extremely thin made out of synthetic material and have silver , even thinner, metal cable that is running through them. You put them directly against your skin and regular socks over them. Metal links warm up using your own heat and keep you warm. I bought them at the Motorcycle shop in Lions IL if I am not mistaken and have been using them for years now.
Do you know what they are called cougar? A fear conducting a google for "Michael Jackson Socks." :unsure:

I have the Gerbings electric socks and think they're great. You are supposed to wear a thin sock and put the electric sock OVER that sock. I have no problem keeping my legs and torso warm but the hands and feet do get cold. The electric gloves and socks do a nice job of keeping them warm.