Winter Gloves - Non-electric

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Friends,I know its still early to start thinking of cooler temp riding but I'd like to get a head start.

I'd like to ask the collective minds here on their suggestions for cold weather gloves & would like

to limit the suggestions to Non-Electric models,as I will be installing the Hand guards to help with

the wind effects.I've seen several on the Tourmaster site that look very good from the descriptions.

As we all know,it can be a whole different story when you actually use a product.I'm in upstate N.Y.

& we can get some Crappy weather like other northern area's. Any input would be a help in making

my choice. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that has a basket of gloves-I guess its kind of

like Golf clubs,we have one pair for certain things & another pair or two that we use for other

conditions. Thanks in advance. Sliick2

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered these.

Tour Master Polar Tex Gloves

1000 and 500 Denier DuPont Cordura® nylon construction

Grade-A Aniline-dyed leather

Thinsuate Flex® insulation

Large zippered gaunlet

Waterproof/breathable

Velcro® wrist adjustment with TPR pull for easy operation

Knuckle and finger flex panels for mobility

Index finger shield wipe

Pre-curved palm and fingers for form fitting comfort

Closed-cell foam padding for protection in the palm

Reflective Tour Master logo for increased visibility

Kelvar palm stitching

Prices starting at $44.99

From

https://www.chaparral-racing.com

I thing they will be good ones for cold/rain protection

I just ordered these.
Tour Master Polar Tex Gloves

1000 and 500 Denier DuPont Cordura® nylon construction

Grade-A Aniline-dyed leather

Thinsuate Flex® insulation

Large zippered gaunlet

Waterproof/breathable

Velcro® wrist adjustment with TPR pull for easy operation

Knuckle and finger flex panels for mobility

Index finger shield wipe

Pre-curved palm and fingers for form fitting comfort

Closed-cell foam padding for protection in the palm

Reflective Tour Master logo for increased visibility

Kelvar palm stitching

Those where one of the choices that I looked at. They sound great !

From

I use NorthFace Gore Tex ski gloves. They have a removeable liner, and seem to work down to about 30 degrees. Got 'em cheap on ebay a few years back. I don't use heated gear either. But at the same time, I'm not a hardcore cold weather rider. I go out when I can.

Just curious if anyone has tried some of the RoadGear stuff. I was going to order a pair of these but figured I would see what the feedback was first.

248large.jpg

They also make this heavierweight waterproof winter glove.

35large.jpg

In colder temps, I use the Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves. I used them last winter down to abt 36-38 and they were OK at that temp. Oh yeah...no handguards on my '05.

I used to wear heavy (awkward/ uncomfortable) winter gloves but after putting on hand protectors and heated grips (dualstar $40), I can usually run with summer weight gloves. When it gets really cold and/or wet, I throw on a pair of light thinsulate inner glove liners under the summer weight gloves, and if rainy/cold I add some aerostitch triple digit outergloves over the summerweight gloves (aerostitch triple digits are nearly impossible to wear over winter weight gloves).

Warm and toasty without the bulk.

Hey Galaxyblue-I just ordered the Tourmaster Cold Tex & the Carbon Winter Tex from www.newenough.com

The Cold Tex where $27. & the Carbon ones $57. I figure I'll try both & send back the one I don't like. Very

good prices from them ! The Carbon gloves where over $80. @ most other stores. Sliick2

Thanks for your tip.

Just curious if anyone has tried some of the RoadGear stuff. I was going to order a pair of these but figured I would see what the feedback was first.
248large.jpg

They also make this heavierweight waterproof winter glove.

35large.jpg
haven't used their (Road Gear) gloves, but have used other items from them. Mansoor is a rider and he designs the stuff to be used. He makes or provides good quality gear at fair prices and has always stood behind his stuff.

I don't own any roadgear stock, but I can say that I've sort of known Mansoor for many years - mostly through email and phone conversations and find him to be a reputable dealer. He still wont let me show up for the product/catalog photo shoots --- so that probably shows you that he has good sense, too.

Can any of my fellow forum members reccommend a glove that will keep your fingers warm enough so that they don't become numb at temps in the mid 20's, speeds no greater than 45?

I bought these Joe Rocket Gloves from New Enough and they are great. Very Warm but lightweight and Water/Windproof.

black.jpg

Also, on close-out so they are only $21.50/pair.

Great Deal!! If you have never done business with New Enough, they are awesome. Very good customer service and almost everything ships the same day!!

Clicky

-jwilly

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been using the Joe Rocket Blizzard gloves with way more Thinsulate than those in your picture. This morning I had a pair of leather/thinsulate driving gloves on underneath the Blizzards and still the ends of my fingers were numb after 8 miles or so.

Can any of my fellow forum members reccommend a glove that will keep your fingers warm enough so that they don't become numb at temps in the mid 20's, speeds no greater than 45?

I have the Alpinestars SR-3 Drystar gloves which I picked up for rain use & have found them to be great cold weather gloves. No cold air gets through them & they are not to bulky like most cold weather gloves I've tried. My hands were fine this morning after my 18 mile ride to work with 25 degrees on the dash, Altough I may have been too scared to be cold, it was not very smart to ride the bike today. On a side note; Avons seem to be very good "Snow Tires". :eek:

I just ordered these.Tour Master Polar Tex Gloves

From

I just got a pair and used them today and yesterday to ride to work. Temps were 28 F in the morning. Hands were a bit cold, but not unbearable. Later in the morning the temps rose up to the mid 40's and the gloves almost seemed hot. My guess here is they should be great for anything above freezing, effective range 32-48..anything higher they might be too warm and anything lower I'd be looking at the electrics....

KM

Tourmasters, Rocket, Roadgear ... all very bulky and poor ability to use the bike controls. Also, not very good performers. Alpinestars are somewhat better. Best, if you can find em, are Orina 118 winter gloves (~$50). They won a UK glove comparo. Held and BMW winter gloves are nice too, but pricey!

I used to wear heavy (awkward/ uncomfortable) winter gloves but after putting on hand protectors and heated grips (dualstar $40), I can usually run with summer weight gloves. When it gets really cold and/or wet, I throw on a pair of light thinsulate inner glove liners under the summer weight gloves, and if rainy/cold I add some aerostitch triple digit outergloves over the summerweight gloves (aerostitch triple digits are nearly impossible to wear over winter weight gloves).

Warm and toasty without the bulk.
+1 good in 30deg temps without heated grips or the protectors.

Tourmasters, Rocket, Roadgear ... all very bulky and poor ability to use the bike controls. Also, not very good performers. Alpinestars are somewhat better. Best, if you can find em, are Orina 118 winter gloves (~$50). They won a UK glove comparo. Held and BMW winter gloves are nice too, but pricey!
I haven't tried them, but they are available: Orina 118

I just received my Held Ice Breaker gloves. They should do the trick. a little pricey but they got a good rep.

Cary

Friends,I know its still early to start thinking of cooler temp riding but I'd like to get a head start.I'd like to ask the collective minds here on their suggestions for cold weather gloves & would like

to limit the suggestions to Non-Electric models,as I will be installing the Hand guards to help with

the wind effects.I've seen several on the Tourmaster site that look very good from the descriptions.

As we all know,it can be a whole different story when you actually use a product.I'm in upstate N.Y.

& we can get some Crappy weather like other northern area's. Any input would be a help in making

my choice. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that has a basket of gloves-I guess its kind of

like Golf clubs,we have one pair for certain things & another pair or two that we use for other

conditions. Thanks in advance. Sliick2
First, remember your extremities are always going to feel colder than your core when in cold weater. And there's basically NOTHING to do about that except provide an additional heat source, or remain physically active.

With that in mind, the best gloves will offer an internally layered design. The "Thinsulate" brand name is good, and you'll find that in many gloves. Fur lined is also pretty good provided that there's still some insulation. The fur will trap an insulating layer or pocket of air inside, but isn't enough by itself. The best glove will have an outer shell that is wind proof, and an inner layer that will wick moisture away from your skin. Moisture + cold = chill. Chill = bad.

I have two pairs of cold-weather gloves that are good; indeed they do a fair job - a pair of Olympia WindText wind/waterproof gauntlets and a pair of Harley Davidson goretex wind/waterproof gauntlets, and both are good for 30 minutes before I'm feeling "cold", another 30 and I'm feeling that aching pain that screams "GET SOME WARMTH - NOW!!".

But again, all you're doing is delaying the onset of chill, not preventing it. Your hands WILL cool and chill. Riding a motorcycle isn't like chopping lumber or moving bricks. In comparison to activities like that, you're just about as stationary as sitting in your office chair; you will get cold. I seriously doubt the veracity of folks who say "I have xxxx gloves and I'm toasty warm all day long." I'm sure they're forgetting to tell you about the heated grips or arm chaps or something.

I would suggest, if cold-weather riding is something you take seriously, installing heated grips or getting the heated gloves or glove liners. I just installed heated grips on the FJR. When riding my cruiser I use my Widder electrics.